Pirate 4x4 banner

Radiator for 350 ?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  fj40charles 
#1 ·
My stock FJ40 radiator just isn't cooling my 350 worth a damn.

I saw a thread a couple months ago about what radiators folks were using in their cruisers with 350-v8 conversions, but I wasn't looking to replace my radiator then. Now I am, and the thread is gone.

Where can I get a good radiator and what's a good size, and (last question) how did you mount it in your engine compartment (did it just bolt right in, or did you have to fab up a mount).

Probably get a new fan while I'm at it - I don't like my cheapo electric fan.

Thanks!

#4 ·
don't know if chad is still making them, but redwood radiator made a four core with dimpled tubes that cooled some pretty hot running v8's, including bruce lutz's.

floyd bufkin in colorado, swears by a griffin and a black magic electric for this v8. said the griffin he got fits in the stock mount.

#6 ·
I also used one of Chad's 4 cores with the dimpled tubes. Lowered and moved my radiator mounts to the drivers side about an inch to get the fan closer to center on the radiator. Used a Steward stage one water pump, that pumps about 30% more than stock. For a fan I used a 7 blade off a Cadillac hooked to a K-5 Blazer fan clutch. Thermostat was also a Steward 180 deg. drilled for flow. So far the engine has never gone above 185 degrees.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Junkyard:
<STRONG>I've looked at the aluminum Griffins. What size is your radiator and how did you mount it in your cruiser?</STRONG>
I recently purchased from summit the 26" x 19" (GRI-1-25222-x) and got a set of brackets from Arndog on this section. The brackets were easy to install and the rad fit without any inner headlight bezel trimming. my average temps on the road 180. Average temps wheelin 190-195. Griffies are the way to go and for the price of a 182 bucks, you can't beat it.

[ 08-25-2001: Message edited by: Sixgun ]

#9 ·
Is the radiator the problem, or is it the cooling *system* as a whole?
Fan too far away from the radiator, poor shrouding, blocked airflow, etc. are all common problems...

Not that getting a new radiator won't help, but maybe a close look at the system as a whole with some changes there can solve the problem without the expense of a custom radiator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.