Pirate 4x4 banner

Tranny fluid

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  mepr 
#1 · (Edited)
lright might be a dumb question but what wieght should i put in an MUA5? is it straight 30wieght motor oil like my luvs tranny/t-case?

#3 ·
5W 30 motor oil ONLY.....................DO NOT use GEAR OIL

#4 · (Edited)
alrighty that makes things simple, all the fluids are exactly the same as my luv:) Oh and also, both t-case and tranny use the same fluid resivour corect?(my shop manual tells me theres one drain plug and 2 fill plugs)

#5 ·
yep shared oil bath

#6 ·
TrooperRS said:
yep shared oil bath
Umm, no. The MUA5 has separate spaces for tranny and x-fer fluids. Same fluids, different cases. They have a habit of sharing, but it is a one sided problem when the front case gets warm and pumps fluid through the two seals on the main shaft and over fills the x-fer case. But that is a story for another day.

There are 2 fills and 2 drains. Loosen the fills before pulling the drains. They have a habit of seizing. Refill both through the shifter holes. Much easier than trying to coax oil up into a 1/2" hole above your head. :D

Michael

#8 · (Edited)
mlclark said:

Umm, no. The MUA5 has separate spaces for tranny and x-fer fluids.
Yep, tranny fill plug is on passenger-side near bell housing, drain plug is on driver's side near the crossmember.

T-case fill plug is on passenger's side (may have to remove skid plate to loosen it if it is really tight, drain plug is directly on bottom and accessed through the hole in the skid plate.
________
How to export replays starcraft 2

#10 · (Edited)
mlclark said:
Yeah, but even those are a friggin' mess. You end up with an oil soaked pump and two tubes full of left over oil. Fill the tranny through the shifters and all you need to use is a funnel. Simple and easy to clean.
I back-bleed the pump and set it aside. I started using 'em after filling the rear diff and spilling gear oil all over me and the driveway.

Wimmen don't understand the smell :D

The pump in the picture lists for ~$30.
You can get a disposable version for less than $6 IIRC.

It's better than removing my shifter boot :rolleyes:
don't ask

#11 ·
alrighty thanks for the help. The filling through shifters thing will save me headache in the future. When i swaped out the tranny fluid in my luv i used a suction gun thing and still got oil everywhere. Shifter boots are easy enough to pull:D
Alright so the mua 5 has 2 drain and 2 fill, huh guess ill lo0ok at it closer then:)

#12 ·
trooper auto

what about fluid changes in an automatic equipped 1999 trooper? Even the dealer has not been able to give a straight answer on when it needs to be done- only that they need $129 to do it because it upsets the computer. I love technology!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.