Pirate 4x4 banner

engine stands/mounts

6K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  alx 
#1 ·
I have a 71' f100 4x4. It had a 360 in it until it died. I am wanting to put in a 460. My question is can I use the EXISTING 360 FE engine stands and just use the 460 mounts and move the stands and redrill and bolt them up or do I need to get stands from a DONOR TRUCK that had a 460 in it? I want to stay away from the aftermarket world.

#2 ·
anything is possible with a good welding/fabrication skill. I have a 70 F100 that I swapped a 351W/C6/205 into. I used fox chassis poly engine and trans mounts and fabbed my own frame stands. The trans mount was as simple as welding in a piece of plate onto the existing trans crossmember. I also moved the engine back and down as far as I could (the drag racer in my wouldn't have it any other way!) It was simple really, I don't see a 460 swap being much harder. I have pics if you want. Just email me to see them. The only problem I see is headers. If you use an existing aftermarket swap kit, then their headers will work. If you do like I did, you will have to fab a set of headers to fit the chassis. Good luck!

#3 ·
here is my take on the swap, I have no direct experience of it but knowing what I do about the trucks of this era I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: as I sat here typing away on possible choices I realised I was talking from the knowledge of the F-250 4x4's.
So here is my idea, others with more knowledge will have to chime in, Look for a late 70's 351M/400 equiped F-100/F-150. NOT a supercab as the frame is F-250 in congiuration.

Now here is the big 'if', If the frames for the F-100/F-150 stayed the same thru 1979 then you'll be able to get most everthing for a swap of a 460. 351M/400 and 460 are direct swaps in the late 70's with Automatice trans, For a stick the bellhousing is diferrent (deeper for the 460). So look for the towers of a 351M/400 F-100 in 1978/'79.

Hope this made sence as I haven't even eaten breakfast yet :p

Eric

#4 ·
The direct swap is not entirely true.

Motor mounts are completely different from a 351M - 460. Also the automatic tranny shifter linkage will need to be re-worked. The kick down does not work properly.

Also, exhaust isn't a direct swap either.

Of course, my only experience is with a 78 F150 2WD Auto swapping a 351M - 460. I can't say for sure on the 390.

Good luck...

#5 ·
If you really want to swap in the 460 without using aftermarket stuff, here's a mostly complete list of what you will need: new trans (compatible with the t-case you will be using) or bellhousing (manual trans), manifolds or headers, the rubber part of the engine mount, distributer, hoses, radiator hoses, ignition box, either duraspark, MSD or equivalent, throttle linkage (you may be able to adapt yours, but I have found changing to a cable style is easier), and maybe a radiator. You may look into late 70's 1 tons had 460's, but 4x4 and 4x2 mounts may be different. Alpo is mostly right about the frames, they changed in 77 (read wider frames), so the stands from the 77-79 more than likely won't work. Hooker headers makes a swap kit and I believe L&L makes a swap kit as well. I have seen the Hooker kit. It consists of 2 pieces of 1/2 plate drilled for the FE frame stands and a 460 mount which make and model I don't remember. You might want to check their website to see if they list any more info. The auto trans linkage should not change as long as you don't move the trans fore or aft, although ford is notorious for changing the linkage piece on the trans from model to model, so you may have to swap the one you have onto the new trans. It requires removal of the valve body to do this. If you run a manual trans, you may also have to modify the clutch linkage as the ball stud may be in a different place on the 460 engine. You may even want to swap in a ZF trans as you gain the overdrive and won't have to mess with the mechanical clutch linkage (all ZF's are hydraulic), although it would be a little more work and parts to make it go. Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

#7 ·
Hello all I been off line awhile but I came across this post figure I better set 187racing straight on his frames.
The only frame that got wider in 77-79 was the F250 4x4 frame all others remained the same from 73-79. the f150s got the wide frame in 1973 and it remained the same with minor changes IE integral pwr steering on the 4x4 in 1976 changed the mount area for the pwr steering box and other little changes over the years and also the f250 4x2 also got the wide frame in 73 the f350 kept the narrow frame in the cab and chasis (spell) but the frame width stayed the same on all the models in the engine compartment areas the width changes were only made in the box or cargo area have a good one

#10 ·
acutaully the 76 frame is way different rom the 77 and later frames if ya want a 460

its all custum they cxhanged every thing in 77 so ya need custom parts forthe 76

#12 ·
Alpo said:
here is my take on the swap, I have no direct experience of it but knowing what I do about the trucks of this era I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: as I sat here typing away on possible choices I realised I was talking from the knowledge of the F-250 4x4's.
So here is my idea, others with more knowledge will have to chime in, Look for a late 70's 351M/400 equiped F-100/F-150. NOT a supercab as the frame is F-250 in congiuration.

Now here is the big 'if', If the frames for the F-100/F-150 stayed the same thru 1979 then you'll be able to get most everthing for a swap of a 460. 351M/400 and 460 are direct swaps in the late 70's with Automatice trans, For a stick the bellhousing is diferrent (deeper for the 460). So look for the towers of a 351M/400 F-100 in 1978/'79.

Hope this made sence as I haven't even eaten breakfast yet :p

Eric
390 is the same block as a 360, jsut differnet bore stroke combination with different heads.

#14 ·
well lets see i have a 76 f100 4x4 and got a 77 f150 4x4 with a 460 in it . i was useing the 77 for parts and was goin to put the 460 in the 76 .
nothing from the 77 will bolt into the 76 as far as motor stands go,its all different from the 76 with a 360 in it .

so im looking at the frames the 76 frame is boxed all the way to the tranny .
the 77 frame is boxed to the back of the motor and stops .
so that tells me in 77 they change a few trhings and went with weaker shit than the older stuff .

#15 ·
well I could be wrong as far as the towers being a direct bolt on I don't play with the 1/2 tons much just the 3/4 ton and bigger but I am almost sure that it not a hard hurdle to over come its been awhile but I had a buddy do exactly that put in newer towers in a older truck or maybe it was the other way around and if memory serves me correct this buddy was pretty inepted for major mods really screwed with him so it had to be fairly simple for him to tackle it maybe some drilling oh well I try and contact him to see what he did if the this get to be a real issue

#16 ·
alx said:
well lets see i have a 76 f100 4x4 and got a 77 f150 4x4 with a 460 in it . i was useing the 77 for parts and was goin to put the 460 in the 76 .
nothing from the 77 will bolt into the 76 as far as motor stands go,its all different from the 76 with a 360 in it .

so im looking at the frames the 76 frame is boxed all the way to the tranny .
the 77 frame is boxed to the back of the motor and stops .
so that tells me in 77 they change a few trhings and went with weaker shit than the older stuff .

But, and this is the big 'but', even with the frames being constructed differently, does the frame WIDTH stay the same and does the bolt pattern for the 'towers'/'perches' stay the same?

This is the $64,000 question ;)

Goodold71: you're probably going to have to break down and get the donor towers you want from P'N'P and just experiment, or take a tape measure and note pad to the junk yards and just start crawling under shit. Only way to find out for sure.

McDerry: WTF :confused: Why the hell quote me and then talk about the 360/390.
I never said $hit about the FE in regards to the interchange unless you're trying to tell this guy to just build a 390 to replace his dead 360.....:shaking:
Build a 410FE instead :flipoff2:

Eric

#17 ·
frame width stays the same , bolt patterns for the new towers are different you have to drill or fab custom ones .

to drill you are then usein a bolt tru a hollow frame ,the stock towers are re-inforced so that when you tighten them up it dont crush the frame.

on the other hand if one wanted you could get the newer towers bolt them to the motor, set it in were ya want it and weld them in :D

its all in how ya wanna play the game ,i kept mine stock !
I like the power of a 360 :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.