Pirate 4x4 banner

Looking at a 99 WJ Limited ofr a DD, need opinions..

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mjs408 
#1 ·
I am looking at a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited.. It has the V8, Quadradrive, 38K miles and leather. I blieve it has every possible option on it.

I have heard about WJ's being prone to t-case leaks and that a nickelplated yoke will fix this..... Also, have read about a Tranny code flash that will fix a hum at certain speeds....
Anyone have anything bad to say about this model and year??? Or does anyone have any other type of input?

#4 ·
My dad has a loaded '99 GC and really likes it. It has been MUCH more durable than his '97 GC. The only thing we've ever noticed is that the rear gero-disc locker thing has gotten a little noisier and engages rougher. Great vehicle all around though. We tow a 21' ski boat in the summer with it, and have taken it up in the snow and off-road quite a few times with no complaints.

I'd get it.

#7 ·
mjs408 said:
I know this is a real old post, but Im just wondering if anybody else has anything to say about 99 GC, Im looking at one that has purdy much every option including quadradrive, expect the V8, which would be nice but not nessasary in a DD
ok i thought moving some of the posts to newbie was :rainbow:

but you sir are a jackass. use the right board :flipoff:

#10 ·
We have a 99 Grand Cherokee loaded 47.L V8 ...... We LOVE the vehicle and we tow our Jeep with it.
Here are some issues we've run across.

1) There's either a recall or TSB on the transfer case breather mechanism. Apparently, the old mechanism allows ALL the fluid to come out causing the transfer case chain to stretch and need replacing.
We had this performed when we bought it - and our chain was replaced.

2) YES - we had the computer flash done also. Prior to this being done - the vehicle doesn't shift smoothly and clunks when downshifting.

3) Electrical glitches - console lights don't come on because they're not making contact somewhere. You can bump the shifter and they'll flicker on. We've taken this apart and tried to clean and diagnose, but that's the weirdest damn set-up I've seen (no wires).
Rear tail light - same 'contact' problem. I think my husband did something to fix that.
Cruise Control (steering wheel controls) glitches. Can't use the on/off buttons in the steering wheel from time to time.

5) Water leaks inside the vehicle at the drivers side corner - leaks from underneath the interior cladding. Drips down on the carpet and sometimes (if un-noticed) gets into where the spare tire is.

6) Just had a sensor replaced - I believe the throttle position sensor (don't quote me). It was impressive how the vehicle went into LIMP mode and would only use 1st and 3rd gears of the tranny. We replaced this ourselves and the part cost like $15.

We love the vehicle - its our tow rig. It's unfortunate the thing has so many little issues that make it somewhat less attractive in reliability. We bought it used about 1.5 years ago.
Get an extended warrantee!!!

The GC's resale values plummet from $35,000 bran new to $18,000 in only 3 years. Which - makes them more easily affordable and why we bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.