Pirate 4x4 banner

matching drive shafts

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  bluebellyday 
#1 · (Edited)
I found a h233b in a V6 pathfinder.
I have decided to use it in my Jeep

I need the U joint size to see if I can build up a shaft to match the 1310 shaft.

The reason I'm going to use this Axle is the stock 4.62 gearing will run with my waggy front using 4.56.
and I can get the whole rear disc to disc with brakes for $150

#2 · (Edited)
Depending on the year of the truck it may be a 1310, some came stock with them. If not the size is very similar.

Good choice on the axle, they are strong as hell, stronger than anything even near its size (d44, yota, 9in). I have yet to hear of one break, and yes we do wheel our trucks.

#5 ·
I have heard that.
I'm keeping the stock 4.62 so no gear change.
I'll put 4.56 in the front d44

One quick question.

Ihe rear had small decal attached on the rear side
it was about 1" by 1" cant read it now

was this the the tag that said locker. and if so what kind of locker?

#8 ·
bluebellyday said:
That's good to hear.
I want to buy the lock right for it.

What lube does nissan reccomend?

Guess I could search dumb newbie :D

You're gonna need an open diff carrier to install the lock right. Other wise the only choice you have will be an ARB.

On a side note, I'm glad to see someone use nissan axles in a different vehicle. :rasta:

#9 ·
I'll catch some hell for doing it but it seems like a great swap.
This should have an open carrier the axle code was HG46

here is a pic of the pathfinder in the junk yard

#10 ·
HG46 was the same axle code for LSD and non LSD diffs. I'd still check it. If it had a sticker on the back, it used to say LSD gear oil only, and it would be an LSD. If that's what you have, again, you'll need an open carrier to put in a lockrite.

another option is to beef the LSD itself by adding a couple more friction discs - this can be done, and it'll lock it up like a spool.

#11 · (Edited)
You can get more bite out of it by not adding the additive and going with a thicker oil. It will chatter around but its a cheap alt to a locker. Also the AC board has a limited supply of detroits at the moment.
Your not the first guy to consider a nissan axle under a jeep, Ive seen a few jeep guys on other nissan boards ask the same questions.

#12 ·
bluebellyday said:
I'll catch some hell for doing it but it seems like a great swap.
This should have an open carrier the axle code was HG46

here is a pic of the pathfinder in the junk yard
What junkyard was this in? Did it have a clean grey interior? Do you know what year?

Its so hard to find pathfinders in the junkyard in baltimore, so I'd be willing to go up to deleware if it has the things I need.

#13 ·
I'll check on the color for you.
the yard in in Magnolia Delaware
about mid State 2 hours +- from Balt.

There is also a 86 Nissan truck with the same axle
I need to see if it is LSD

#14 ·
In Europe we see a growing number of Jeep guys using the Nissan Patrol axles for the front and rear. You can get coil sprung front 233's and coil sprung 233's and H260 (!!!) for the rear with a stock 100% locker in the rear. Also leaf sprung C200 and H233B's are widely avail.
They fit nearly perfect under a YJ and are hard to kill. Swapping axles here is cheaper than beefing up a Dana.

#15 ·
Patrol said:
In Europe we see a growing number of Jeep guys using the Nissan Patrol axles for the front and rear. You can get coil sprung front 233's and coil sprung 233's and H260 (!!!) for the rear with a stock 100% locker in the rear. Also leaf sprung C200 and H233B's are widely avail.
They fit nearly perfect under a YJ and are hard to kill. Swapping axles here is cheaper than beefing up a Dana.
Yeah cybersniper is in Spain and he is trying to put a nissan axle and transmission in his YJ. He PMed me asking for information, I gave him as much as I could, but since we dont have the solid fronts here I couldn't help him much on that. If you can give him a hand, you should PM him or drop in the nissan 5spd to NP231 thread.

#17 · (Edited)
SirMrManGuy said:

What junkyard was this in? Did it have a clean grey interior? Do you know what year?

Its so hard to find pathfinders in the junkyard in baltimore, so I'd be willing to go up to deleware if it has the things I need.

I took a look at the pathfinder again.
It had a blue interior and it has been stripped except for the dash
and floor shifter.

As for the axle.
I picked up my Wagoneer front dana 44 and mesured it
It's 63" WMS to WMS
The H233b is 59" so I would also need to add a 1.5" spacer to each side. That may be a bit much and make this axle unuseable.

I also looked at the pickup and it also is a h233 but I believe it was coded with a higher gear HG 43 I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.