Pirate 4x4 banner

First Post (F-250 Help)

954 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  82F100SWB 
#1 ·
hey everyone, this is my first post here. I have a 1986 F-250 Heavy Duty. It has the 460 with the Dana 50 front and the Dana 70 rear i believe. I was wondering how hard it would be to put a set of 2 1/2 ton rockwells under this beast. I plan on making this truck be able to go ANYWHERE. I planned on getting a Dana 60 front end but i think that the Rockwells would be the way to go. Some of you may know me from www.ford-trucks.com Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Austynn.

#2 ·
I don't think its possible for you to have a Dana 70 rear. Probably a 10.25.
Just go with a D60 front and if you have the 10.25 keep it.
Early 10.25s have a oil slinger problem.

#3 ·
A D70 is possible, but, more common in diesel powered trucks than gassers...
Easiest way I've found to tell is the 10.25 has a Ford engineering # on the axle flange(E5TE or such) while a dana axle has a Dana part number.

Personally, I had the choice, and slapped a 60 under the nose and called it good... Rocks are plain 'ol heavy, and, unless you plan on running enough tire and horsepower to justify them, and the 6.72 gears, stick with the 60/10.25 setup.
Since you are leaf sprung on all 4 corners, putting in Rockwells would be fairly simple, with only steering and braking requiring any real fangling.

#4 · (Edited)
i found a dana 60 for $350. it is out of a dually. i know that the drw axles are different from the srw axles but would the drw axle work? what would i need to change (if anything) to get it to work? thanks, Austynn

#5 ·
Yup, it'll work, just have to put the hubs off of your D50 on it to make it a single wheel.
You'll be needing it's steering linkage, and the track bar and bracket also, but, for that price, if it's an 85.5-up HP 60, grab it

#7 ·
also, in the official ford book that the ford mechanics used it showed this for my rear axle number

Code-----Description---# Capacity-----Ratio
----------------------------------------------------
35-------- Dana-----------over 8500-----4.10

#8 ·
For an 1986, axle code 35 is a 6250# GAWR Ford axle with 4.10 gears, so, a 10.25 Sterling(this is from the 1986 Ford truck shop manual, section A.)
As for HP VS LP, anything other than an 85.5=97 D60 won't be a direct bolt in in your truck...
Also, you'll need the F350 front driveshaft with CV joint...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.