Pirate 4x4 banner

Raising The Gavel- Jason Scherer's new #76 Build Thread

361K views 280 replies 108 participants last post by  Myvehiclekit 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to share some photo's from the build thread on the new Rubicon Express/Nitto Tire #76 that the Rage4th Crew are building. When we set out to build this we wanted to use the best parts available and I really appreciate the sponsors jumping on board to make it happen. It's a blend between the best attributes of different cars I've driven with some new ideas to try to lower the COG.

Special thanks to Dan Trout from Fishmouth Fabrications. He really is an artist and an engineer and I should probably thank his wife too as we see him way more than she does! The rest of the Rage 4th crew has been going full bore but we will send updates and pics and answer any questions when we can as we try to get this done for the Western rounds of the Ultra4 Series.

Nitto Tires has been super helpful in following the build so far and has posted up an article on their website, The DrivingLine- DrivingLine | The King Sparks A Revolution- Jason Scherer?s Innovative New Ultra4 Car

Thanks to all the marketing partners that make this possible: Rubicon Express, Nitto Tires, DynoMax Exhaust, Spidertrax, PAC Spring, Method Race Wheels, Powertank, FOX Shox, Reid Racing, ARB, Jamar, Fishmouth Fab, Pacific Fabrication, Advanced Adapters, Wild West Off-Road, RCV, High Angle Drivelines, Redline Oil, 4130 Clothing and the entire Rage 4th Crew.

Attachments

See less See more
#52 · (Edited)
New DrivingLine article out. This is shaping up to be one of my favorite IFS builds to date. Little more rock influence which I like!

http://www.drivingline.com/2014/05/jason-scherer-2014-ultra4-build-thread-2/

"The front suspension geometry allows for over 40 degrees of steering, which is a huge increase from Jason’s last race car, making it more nimble in the rocks. "

The step in the lower arms is sick!

Hard to tell but it looks like the chassis steps down less (more ground clearance under the diff) than other IFS builds that I've seen.

#56 ·

Attachments

#59 ·
The whole team has been wrenching since we picked it up from Trouts last week. He did an absolutely amazing job! He also came down for a few nights to help us mount a few items as well as finish out the interior sheet metal. Here is my favorite pic of full stuff with 37's.

That is such a cool Birthday Present.

Happy Birthday!

#60 ·
Do you plan on racing on the 37's? or are they for short course? I can not wait to see this in person!

#61 ·
I think J's CC is wishing it was a "gift."

What is cool is that...so far... only the top of the steering wheel and seat will be above the belt line. A masterpiece in packaging for sure. Most working on the car know whats needed for the systems so there is not much re-working. Nothing is without some "re-thoughts," however.

#67 ·
Duct Tape.....er....Ducting. And it is not usually 100' @ KOH. LV to Reno would be a real test. That race temperature stresses every car and system. Not to get ahead of the awesome detailed articles, but when the systems go hot it does sound like a hovercraft.

Everything is unusual in that garage however. A few months ago it was the sound of SnowCat tracks, and talk of midnight mountain accents to watch the sun rise. :D

#78 ·
To try to keep J in the shop and our cameras have been banned, I will try to answer. Actually Dallas or Tim should. They had to work extra hard to get the geometry to work with the uniballs. The top uniball actually covers over the fastener at full articulation. But, I believe the short answer is turning. There wasn't a way to get the turning that this design is capable of with vertical balls.

On desert cars, where turning is minimal and articulation is the greatest, they probably prefer vertical omniballs for more strength and best wear. When the race leaves the ball at the flats, it accumulates crud and wears quickly.

Full load on the front end at full lock and articulation doesn't happen that often...Hopefully. Horizontal balls are now common on the top to get good geometry with a reasonable upright design. It is the lower uniball that gets re-oriented depending on steering. (As I see it)

Can't wait to see Loren's build also!!!! It is interesting that the top teams seem to be using the pro's to design the 4X4 IFS geometry and parts. I tried to do it myself, and I am now on Dallas' list.

#76 ·
It has been pretty enlightening hanging around the shop as the build continues. Yes, there were drawings, from detailed (IFS) to a rough frame with seats, rear links, etc. But, as you will see there is a lot of in-process scoping from the builders and crew to get it right. Work, back-off, work, back-off, etc. What you might also see is the relatively simple ways that the parts are put into place. What you are not seeing are the bending, coping, cut-off, and other special tools that keep the tolerances tight. Plus the Masterfabber to adapt from the drawings the small changes.

Here, is about Mid March, as parts start to be positioned in-place and should encourage "above normal" builders that they could really do it "at home." Today it is non-photogenic as it looks like meatballs and spaghetti with out the sauce and parmigiana. The story and recent pics are being created and I do hear some roller/dyno scheduling dates being thrown around so...

I think that it should also be said that Jason and Dan have "builit" several winning cars, and know where they are going with this build. In the early years of KOH Jason would build, race/test, and come home to cut out what they had built the weekend before. Many of his rigs had multiple re-works, looking for learning and perfection. J's comment about more scrub to search for traction when stuck in the rocks, is learning from previous (crawler) builds, and maybe not needing 0 scrub in the fast, as was thought. " Intended compromises."

Attachments

#89 ·
More pics and Part 3 of the series is up and running. We've been having a few issues fight us but the solutions are pretty solid...loving the way it's coming out.
Fingers crossed we can fire this motor off Wednesday night and get on the dyno Saturday to get it tuned...then it's off to testing and testing and testing.

We have a few items we are trying that might not work...and we know it...but we have to try. If they don't work we've got some late nights to get ready for Stampede but if they do it's going to be a cool setup. One of them is the severe angle from the trans to the t-case. The angles will cancel but the joints will work pretty hard. If they get hotter than about 200 degrees we have to move the t-case....the dyno runs should tell us:)

DrivingLine | The Clock Keeps Ticking – Part 3 of Jason Scherer’s Innovative New ULTRA4 Car

#92 ·
whats special about 200 degrees for ujoint temp? grease or seals? if you're interested I know a grease guy there in southern California that makes grease all day that lives at 200 and above. i'll get you his info if interested.

great looking build, thanks for sharing on pirate!

#90 ·
The build is looking badass! I love seeing builds like this come out of NorCal and for someone i know. Jason way to pick a bitchin group of individuals who all think outside the box!! TSP... :grinpimp::smokin: I can't wait for Stampede.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.