Pirate 4x4 banner

Rubicon Patrols?

5K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Jeepndel 
#1 · (Edited)
Messed it up, anyways here it is...i know it has been talked about before so sorry for the repost. I just want to know if this will really happen?:confused:

The rules have changed

Beginning immediately the Rubicon Trail will be patroled by several Sheriff deputies on quads and dirt bikes. On weekends a minimum of 4 officers will help to save the trail. Since the fourwheeling community was not able to deal with its freedom - someone had to step in. Too bad. But the writing was on the wall for years. During the week a minimum of 2 deputies will be out riding the trail
• No more unlicensed vehicles without a green sticker. Citations might be handed out right at the trail heads.
• No more alcohol on the trail while you drive (after all it is a county road). The fines will really hurt.
• No more leaving the trail to explore something new. The trail has been marked and leaving it will carry a stiff fine.
• No more shooting (finally!) - you might get arrested right on the spot.
• No more fires without a camp fire permit.
• No more anything - if the officers see a reason to write you a ticket, they probably will (don't forget, the government is short on money and the new rigs were expensive).

A good number of officers from several different agencies (Eldorado County Sheriff's Department, US Forest Service, Department of Fish & Game) swarmed the trail on Memorial weekend to demonstrate that no more breaches of law are tolerated. Good!

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you saying this is good or bad? What do you expect they are gonna do if people can't behave themselves. I think its about time. I personally have no problem with it because I don't do any of these things on the trail. Expecially the driving and drinking thing. I know last year on Sierra Trek there were a lot of people getting open container tickets and they were multiple hundred dollars. Maybe this will keep people inline and undercontrol. Its too bad it had to come to this though.

~Kirk

#4 ·
It would be hard for them to start "immediately", like today, but yes they will be required to justify their presense on the trail in the coming year. How long can they patrol and NOT give out tickets. This last year was a trial run, they wanted to get to know the area, the users, you know, get a feel for what they are doing. Now their work begins.

My personal hope is they cannot justify a presence and are not needed. I have my doubts.

The site you got that from is a little pessimistic and sarcastic if you ask me.

The Friends of the Rubicon site is the best information site to find out the status of Law Enforcement and Government involvement on the Rubicon Trail.

#5 · (Edited)
OK I'll bite at the bait.
Originally QUOTED by KingTJ
The rules have changed
Not as I see it

• No more unlicensed vehicles without a green sticker. Citations might be handed out right at the trail heads.
All vehicles have been required to be liscensed in some manner.

• No more alcohol on the trail while you drive (after all it is a county road). The fines will really hurt.
Never was allowed, only not enforced.

• No more leaving the trail to explore something new. The trail has been marked and leaving it will carry a stiff fine.
Has not been an option for a long, long, long time.
• No more shooting (finally!) - you might get arrested right on the spot.
Shooting will still be legal in the NF under the current regulations. Like not in a camp area or on a road.
• No more fires without a camp fire permit.
Again, was not ever open to burning without one in the National Forest.
• No more anything - if the officers see a reason to write you a ticket, they probably will.
Not sure this is any more true than driving a car in the city.

A good number of officers from several different agencies (Eldorado County Sheriff's Department, US Forest Service, Department of Fish & Game) swarmed the trail on Memorial weekend to demonstrate that no more breaches of law are tolerated. Good!

Yup, GOOD

#9 ·
KingTJ said:

oh yay everyone gather around the stove cooking propane fire. The signs say no fires at all except stoves that require permits. Or am i wrong??:confused:
Why yes - you are. :flipoff2: That is the case some times, but not always. There is plenty on this site (not just this forum) about campfires on the Rubicon. Maybe try a search and do some reading so you don't look like the basic idiot that we're always complaining about. ;)

If you want to play, you have to play by the rules.

Paul

#10 · (Edited)
i'm tired of seeing idiots go off trail into vegitation just to show of to there friends that they can climb a 5 foot wall, if i only had a camera to send it in.i'm not for it being patroled but if we can't do the job someones gotta step up.

#11 ·
nasvik said:

Why yes - you are. :flipoff2: That is the case some times, but not always. There is plenty on this site (not just this forum) about campfires on the Rubicon. Maybe try a search and do some reading so you don't look like the basic idiot that we're always complaining about. ;)

If you want to play, you have to play by the rules.

Paul
These signs are up all year long is what im trying to say.

Attachments

#12 ·
KingTJ said:

No they're not. Those signs are only posted when Fire Restrictions go into effect. I go to the Rubicon between 20 and 30 a year and know for a fact that the sign usually shows campfires and BB-Q's as being legal. In fact, If I see one this weekend(on my way to Spider) I will take a picture for you.

#13 ·
KingTJ said:

only during the restricted season. I had 3 fires there legally last year, One of which was at the loon lake entrance. Sheriff came up to check and make sure we had a permit, then hung out and BS'ed for 20-30 mins before taking off after a group of people standing in the back of a moving truck...

#14 ·
Disco said:

No they're not. Those signs are only posted when Fire Restrictions go into effect. I go to the Rubicon between 20 and 30 a year and know for a fact that the sign usually shows campfires and BB-Q's as being legal. In fact, If I see one this weekend(on my way to Spider) I will take a picture for you.
althought i only went to the con twice this past summer, the summer before was the time with all the big fires i think and those signs were up all summer long.

#17 ·
Allow me to chime in folks
1. Fires: Disco is right. Our trail is in a high fire hazard area that frequently gets burn (campfire) restriction. Given that much of our granite won't burn, the area around us and within several miles is prone to wildfire.

So the feds have to put fire restrictions in effect to protect the entire area -- miles of it. If one fire breaks out, it quickly depletes the immediate response capability of the fire fighters, who get spread too thin if more fires break out, then boom, we've got a southern CA situation. Fire everywhere.

So yes, it sucks sometimes, but in order to manage the entire fire problem, sometimes we get stuck with a bum restriction -- that we MUSt obey. Trust me guys, I spent 26 years fighting wildfires, and you do not want to be the cause of one that destroys not only trails and trees, but perhaps some poor firefighter or someone's home.

2. Law Enforcement: I just had a ROC meeting yesterday (3/17/04) where this was discussed. We also cogitated on this at our FOTR annual meetings. I'll have a new post on this shortly. But YES, the trail is being patrolled at OUR request and with OUR money. I will explain all the reasons in another post here, but the day has come.....

Now the good news is that I've heard several reports lately of guys once again bringing their families to the Rubicon Trail for camping and trail fun, because much of the outlaw behavior has started to dwindle. This is good. We NEED our kids into four-wheeling. We NEED our families out in the woods with us. They are the future.

Del

#20 ·
For this summer, with the weather we're having now in March, I suspect we won't have campfires most all summer. I could be wrong. And maybe March will go out like a lion. We'll see.

But as the fuels dry out (sticks, twigs, and downed logs), firefighters get very nervous. It's cummulative. The longer it stays hot and dry, the more the fuels dry out and become one step closer to kindling.

then if we get lightning.....oh boy, hold your horses.
Del

#23 ·
If you are coming from the Ice House/50 side, then there are two places along the way.

The first is a little turn out area off of Ice House roard with a 5th-wheel trailer. There is a little old lady that works for the forestry dept. She can write you a permit.

The second is further along Ice House and there is a forestry building.

I haven't come in from the Auburn/George town side in a long time.

The whole permit thing seems pretty stupid to me, but if it helps them...ah heck I have no idea how it helps the foresty dept.

#25 ·
KingTJ said:

i believe it applys threw out the entire stanislaus national forest, correct me if i'm wrong Jeepndel.
I thought we were talking about the Rubicon on El Dorado NF?

When restrictions are in effect it applies to all NF land. Each Forest will issue it's own restrictions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.