Pirate 4x4 banner

Rubicon Patrols?

5K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Jeepndel 
#1 · (Edited)
Messed it up, anyways here it is...i know it has been talked about before so sorry for the repost. I just want to know if this will really happen?:confused:

The rules have changed

Beginning immediately the Rubicon Trail will be patroled by several Sheriff deputies on quads and dirt bikes. On weekends a minimum of 4 officers will help to save the trail. Since the fourwheeling community was not able to deal with its freedom - someone had to step in. Too bad. But the writing was on the wall for years. During the week a minimum of 2 deputies will be out riding the trail
• No more unlicensed vehicles without a green sticker. Citations might be handed out right at the trail heads.
• No more alcohol on the trail while you drive (after all it is a county road). The fines will really hurt.
• No more leaving the trail to explore something new. The trail has been marked and leaving it will carry a stiff fine.
• No more shooting (finally!) - you might get arrested right on the spot.
• No more fires without a camp fire permit.
• No more anything - if the officers see a reason to write you a ticket, they probably will (don't forget, the government is short on money and the new rigs were expensive).

A good number of officers from several different agencies (Eldorado County Sheriff's Department, US Forest Service, Department of Fish & Game) swarmed the trail on Memorial weekend to demonstrate that no more breaches of law are tolerated. Good!

See less See more
#27 ·
If you're read my other post here about the problems with campfires and wildfires, please also read this:

Burn restrictions are usually Area Wide (like the whole Forest). This is due to a couple things, but simplicity being the first. If restrictions are selective by area, it makes it hard to figure out for us, the public, where the lines are. It's like a burn day vs. no burn day. To make it easy to enforce and follow, it usually applies to way more area than needed.

Yes, I suppose we could say it's like the old Army. If one guy screws up, the whole outfit does push ups.

Campfire permits force the public to place a personal visit to someone who can remind them to be fire safe and how to do it.
If you are charged with the suppression costs of a wildfire, and do not have a campfire permit that you were following, then ouch is all I can say. It takes very little fire effort to build up several hundred thousand dollars in suppression costs.

And quite frankly, there are way too many people in the woods who are NOT using fire wisely -- campfires included. I believe in making them get a permit at least so there's a chance someone can tell them the safe way to do it.

Del

#28 ·
peesalot said:
when you say no fires does this apply to springs camping area? where do you get permits?
Not sure if you're referring to Wentworth or Rubicon Springs. So I'll try and answer both.

Wentworth Springs Campground:
Fire restrictions often (but not always) do not apply to FS campgrounds, and you do not need to have a fire permit in the FS developed campsites. The Wentworth Springs campground is listed as FS developed campground so I'm assuming it would fall under those regulations. Best advise would be to check at the ranger station when you get your fire permit. The permit is free, so it's just matter of ten minutes of your time to get one, and only one person in your party needs to have one (but he or she needs to be present when fire is in use).

Rubicon Springs:
The fire permit only applies to National Forest Land. Since Rubicon Springs is on private land, the reguations are different. On private land you must have the written permission from the land owner for campfire use. Fire restrictions may or may not apply to private land. Best advice would be to check with the land owner before building a fire when restrictions are in place.

In summary, when in doubt - ask!

#29 ·
if i only had a camera to send it in
Just pick up a $10 throw away camera that comes with film. They are at most gas stations. Just add it to your beer buy. :flipoff2: They come sealed, dust and water proof till you open them up. Snap snap click away. IMO, bring on the law. Were gonna lose it if we don't. Couple hundred $$ for open containers is getting off easy. Try a DUI, mandatory jail, with the rig impounded. :eek:

#32 ·
KingTJ said:
you think theyd really give a DUI on the con in the middle of the woods? probably huh:D
Yes they will. And from what I have heard(from a member of Search and Rescue), Law Enforcement will have breathalizers that will print out your B.A.C. and they will write you a citation for DUI which will be the same as being arrested you just don't get taken to the Pokey. :eek:

EDIT: This is only hear-say and I'm not sure how much truth is behind it. ;)

#35 ·
sounds good to me heavy use requires more enforcement of the rules, simple as that. People are just gonna need to be more responsible when they are out wheelin, things have to change if people want these places to remain open it onl takes a few fawk ups to ruin every ones fun .

#38 ·
KingTJ said:
i think its all BS. if my friend wants to have a beer in my passenger seat who cares when out in the woods. Looks like i'm going to ford ice this summer. Just my opinion tho

exactly my thoughts. this is a sincere travesty to the way things have been since...forever.
i am all for fire control (although i am not sure if getting a permit is going to somehow prevent a forest fire--it simply gives the fire department someone to go after should anything occur) but the rest of these rules.... has there ever been a real problem? i mean, when did the need develop for this action? what happened that was so bad that this patrolling is going to stop? did someone start a fire? did some drunk guy run over a group of people or something? are people getting hurt?
and what good is giving someone a DUI do if they let them drive away????? all it does is tax people for their activities. it is a money making opportunity for law enforcement, and that is all.
i would just like to know what makes this so necessary. thats all.

#40 ·
Danger Ranger said:

I agree... but IF the Rubicon is at all important to you, you'll concede.

To me, it is.
damnit your right. I'm goin to the con and leaving with or without a citation for my friend having a beer in his hand. And Rastamon i completely agree. They are just making money off this. Hell, thats the best job in the world to be able to get paid to go camp on the con riding quads and dirt bike's and eating donuts by a camp fire. Son's of biatches. :D

#42 ·
Rastaman and KingTJ,
Do you guys not get to the Rubicon very often??

Aside from early or late-season (in other words, aside from summer, when the HS and College-age crowds make the trail their own party dump) midweek is about the only time I've been on the trail and not personally seen at least one driver far too intoxicated to be driving. It's also about the only time I've been on trail and not filled a Hefty bag (or more) with other peoples' garbage, beer cans/bottles, and Jager bottles.

It is unfortunate that the ignorant, careless, thoughtless, and uncivil patrons of the trail have resulted in the need for law enforcement presence. However, I'll gladly share the trail with LE instead of drunken abusivess assholes.

#43 ·
cbassett said:
Rastaman and KingTJ,
Do you guys not get to the Rubicon very often??

Aside from early or late-season (in other words, aside from summer, when the HS and College-age crowds make the trail their own party dump) midweek is about the only time I've been on the trail and not personally seen at least one driver far too intoxicated to be driving. It's also about the only time I've been on trail and not filled a Hefty bag (or more) with other peoples' garbage, beer cans/bottles, and Jager bottles.

It is unfortunate that the ignorant, careless, thoughtless, and uncivil patrons of the trail have resulted in the need for law enforcement presence. However, I'll gladly share the trail with LE instead of drunken abusivess assholes.

i get to the trail quite a few times a year, and yes i have noticed a whole hell of a lot of trash ( and i do fill my share of hefty bags of other peoples' trash:mad: ) and that is a big problem.
as far as intoxication goes, i understand how people could possibly get hurt (has anyone been hit by a DD???), but the problem that i see is Law enforcement will not simply write a ticket to an extremely drunk person, they will write a ticket to those who are simply having a beer while they drive through the con. the problem with law enforcement is that it targets EVERYONE weather or not you are being responisble, respectable or just ignorant. and it seems to me that the responsible people are the ones who get penalized more because now all of a sudden we have to constantly look over our shoulders in fear of someone seeing us with a beer. and if we do get caught--holy shiz the DUI penalties in Cali are off the fawkin wall!
i think the biggest problem is the sheer number of people there now who simply want to bring the city up to the mountains with them in hopes of taking over what used to be a localized mountain boy sport. they bring their trash, their crazy *fuk you* attitude and now they bring the cops. where will it end??? we all know it wont. soon we will have to pay to use the trail. we will have to check into a ranger station, get our rigs checked over, and we will probably have rules like: you cant roll--it is too dangerous for you and others on the trail. WTF????

i truely hope it doesnt come to that, but i can definately see it.
in the end i will abide by the rules, but i can assure i will not be running the rubicon very many times anymore. i think that this takes away a big portion of what i really liked about the place: you can do what you want without hurting anyone.
cops only want your money. if they actually cared, things would be a lot different.

#45 · (Edited)
Rastamon said:
as far as intoxication goes, i understand how people could possibly get hurt (has anyone been hit by a DD???)

Does getting hit by someone in your own group count?? I've seen drunken idiots get hit and knocked down while "spotting" their drunken friends, on multiple occasions.

Rastamon said:
...but the problem that i see is Law enforcement will not simply write a ticket to an extremely drunk person, they will write a ticket to those who are simply having a beer while they drive through the con.

You can't have it both ways. Folks have bitched and moaned about keeping the Rubicon open access because 'it's a country road' (The entire trail isn't). Now we have people such as yourself bitching about obeying CA vehicle codes applying to open container.

Rastamon said:
the problem with law enforcement is that it targets EVERYONE weather or not you are being responisble

In this, you are correct. Enforcing laws, and common sense afterall, tartets the best interest and safety of EVERYONE that uses the trail.

Rastamon said:
holy shiz the DUI penalties in Cali are off the fawkin wall!

I don't think they're tough enough.

Rastamon said:
i think the biggest problem is the sheer number of people there now who simply want to bring the city up to the mountains with them in hopes of taking over what used to be a localized mountain boy sport. they bring their trash, their crazy *fuk you* attitude and now they bring the cops. where will it end???

It's not just the city folk, don't kid yourself. Many of the 'offenders' I've seen, who will now have to alter their habits to be within the boundaries of the law, and common sense are "mountain boys" as you state.

Rastamon said:
i truely hope it doesnt come to that, but i can definately see it.
in the end i will abide by the rules, but i can assure i will not be running the rubicon very many times anymore. i think that this takes away a big portion of what i really liked about the place: you can do what you want without hurting anyone.

What you defined there is a BIG part of the problem. YOU CANNOT COME TO THE RUBICON AND THINK YOU CAN "DO ANYTHING YOU WANT"!

Rastamon said:
cops only want your money. if they actually cared, things would be a lot different.
This is utter nonsense. Spending the thousands necessary for manpower, vehicles, maintainance, administration will not be recouped by citing a few violaters per season. The cost of this effort could easily be prevented by simply restricting/prohibiting access to the trail. LE's presence should be evidence that people care, and they care enough take the action necessary to clean up the area since the wheeling community evidently could not remedy the situation on it's own.

#46 ·
Question Del re:
• No more leaving the trail to explore something new. The trail has been marked and leaving it will carry a stiff fine.

Will 4x4 travel around the Granite Bowl, the slabs at Spider and around the slabs down to Buck be restricted to a defined path as well, or will wheeling on open areas such as these still be allowed?

Chris

#48 ·
Well here is my 2cnts Like it or Not. :)

Here we are doing are best to keep the trial open and a few of you guys are bitching about how you cant drink and drive on the trail anymore. All i have to say is get your head on stright. I feel that this is somthing that needs to be done. If you realy think about it who are the ones that get really agresive and end up tearing up vegitation. (folks with a few to many). I know that there are sobor ones that do it as well. but by enforcing this no D&D I feel that it will be that many more people being responsable. anything helps at this point. We are here to keep the trial open and enjoy. I am for the fire restricons, for the simple fact that I would hate to go up there and have it look like how the botom of icehouse road looked/looks. We need people to help and keep these trails open and be resposible recreationests, if that means to bring in stronger inforcement, then be it. All I have to say is im going do my best to do what I can to keep the trail open so when i have kids they can enjoy it as i did.

Thats all and sorry about spelling.

Steve

#49 ·
Rubicon Philosophy

Allow me to offer a few thoughts on the old vs new Rubicon.

We almost had a gate up in 2000. That's why FOTR started and got so strong -- probably the strongest coalition in the nation when it comes to one trail.

We have anti-access folks watching our trail (and our web sites). Some of them don't want us wheeling in the high country. Period.
They would love to see us do stupid or illegal things just to add fodder to the idea of keeping us on pavement. That ain't gonna happen on my shift. Period.

Some of the more level headed anti-access folks PRAISE us for self-policing, abiding by the law, and doing some trail work to make the Rubicon a great place to wheel.

Families are important to the Rubicon and to the future of four wheeling. By having law enforcement on the trail, families are more likely to enjoy themselves on an outting. Further, if we have law enforcement on our side, as well as some reasonable non-motorized folks, then we have a better chance of always having a Rubicon.

Del

#50 ·
no need to associate drunken spotters , trash , loud music , and overall poor judgement with people who are there wheeling but also enjoying some beers or whatever. Having respect for the area and others comes with the right to acess the trail. people who don't suck. I don't focus on the alcohol cause thats not the problem. People who do stupid sheat are gonna do it drunk or not. If you can't treat it like someone else own's it stay off. It is way to cool of a spot to be lost or restricted any further..

#51 · (Edited)
I am not 100% for the law being involved in my camping/wheeling life either, thats probably the biggest reason I started wheeling, to be away and not have to "behave".
With that said, I go to the rubicon to wheel and relax.
If I want to party, I party at home.
If I want to camp and party, I go to the other seemingly millions of miles of forest, there you can camp AND party, away from others.(BTW I would'nt go to a "campground" even if it was free).

The fact being there is no room on the CON for both and if you think you can be drunk and rowdy on Fordice you are sadly mistaken, you would only help to force the same restrictions or even worse a gate there.

Make no mistake, i hate cops, especially El Do sheriff's but if they were not brough in the trail would close, its that simple.

My advise is just grin and bear it, with competitions bringing more publicity to the sport/hobby its just how it has to be
:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.