Pirate 4x4 banner

Power Steering Box Info/ Part Numbers

7K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Killerpee 
#1 ·
Ok...so I finally got my new Saginaw power steering box. Through the process I did some research and thought I would share some here. First off...here is a great link for cross referencing and digging out part numbers: http://www.rockauto.com/

All I researched was for flare fitting boxes. If you have or want Oring..look after 79. The following are flare boxes:
72 Caprice 3.5 turn 13/16 input Cardone 27-6537

74 Caprice 4.5 turn 13/16 input Cardone 27-6529

77 J20 3.75 turn 3/4 input 3.5 inch piston (this is the AGR Super Box) 27-6505

I got the J20 box today and it came in right, with the large piston. After some further research, I believe there is also J20 box with the 13/16 input(which would have matched my current u-joint). The application would be for a 75 or 76 J20, since I believe the input shaft change came in 1977.

Anyway, these part number might not mean anything compared to what you actually get in the box, but it should be a start. Also, Autozone was completely useless for finding any of these...I ended up at O'Reillys and their computers seemed to be able to find everything by either part number or application. Napa had about the same prices (I have an account there) but their shipping time was much longer. Napa numbers are the same as Cardone, except drop the first 2 digits (the 27). This is just what I've gathered since last week...so feel free to add or correct!

I'll let you guys know how the "super box" holds up. :D :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, not that anyone seemed even the least bit interested, but here's the update.
The J20 box installed right in place if the smaller saginaw. I had to trim my bumper a bit because I made mine so close. With the saginaw pump mod and the J20 box...I could turn the 39.5 IROKs at 2 psi with two fingers on the concrete. Pretty good I think. Lets see how long she holds.

#4 ·
thanks for the info......i saw this a while back. :D

i'm trying to figure out which shaft i have to decide which j20 box i'm gonna get.

do you know for a fact the shaft size was dif. before 77'?

did you do the saginaw pump mod from ******* ram?

thanks again for your research :D

glenn

#5 ·
go measure your wb again , you still aint got the pump with the mod's yet ?
I got my front springs , so with 2 " back in rear and 3" up front it comes in at 95 with the tape pulled tight . Now when we wheel ? Sierra's done be burried after tonight , I mean burried.

#6 ·
peesalot said:
go measure your wb again , you still aint got the pump with the mod's yet ?
I got my front springs , so with 2 " back in rear and 3" up front it comes in at 95 with the tape pulled tight . Now when we wheel ? Sierra's done be burried after tonight , I mean burried.
98.....98......98......98.......NOT 95 :laughing:

i'm gonna do the red neck ram mod on my pump 1st and see how it works

i called my source today and the j20 76 pn IS different than the 77 (hoping it's shaft size).......and i'm getting a smokin deal on it :smokin:

i'm pretty busy till after the hollidays.........hope we can hook up with dave (spamman) for the snow run :D

#8 ·
I've been using the J-20 box for a few years and really like it. With pump mods and dual belts it doesn't make a single squawk unless I bury the steering stops. The only time I wish I had more steering power is if I get the wheels really bound up in the boulders. Just don't tell your Toyota it's a J**P part. ;)

#9 ·
SpanishTrail said:
I've been using the J-20 box for a few years and really like it. With pump mods and dual belts it doesn't make a single squawk unless I bury the steering stops. The only time I wish I had more steering power is if I get the wheels really bound up in the boulders. Just don't tell your Toyota it's a J**P part. ;)
Not a HEEP part. It is a Saginaw box.

#10 ·
When I went hunting for my box they told me they were all the same between 69-76. All were 3.5 turn.
None of the parts dealers can get a 4.5 box for some reason.
So I went and bought a used 3.5 turn box from a 74 Caprice.
I guess the parts dudes were right.

#11 ·
i did a little research today.....my napa parts conection got me the pn for 76 j20...... part #51-6529

i called the tech line for there vendor to check shaft diam......13/16", which is what i need, also it is a 4 turn box with a 3.5" piston .....apears to be the same as th caprice :D

it will be here in the morning :D :D :D.........at her cost! :D :D :D

glenn

#13 · (Edited)
Killerpee said:
Nice score on that one...just make sure to measure the piston size to be sure they got you the bigger box.

got it today :grinpimp: ......yes it's the large piston.....from talking to the tech guy, it sounded like the 4 turn box IS the 3.5" unit.

thanks again for the research :D

glenn

#17 ·
peesalot said:
um , order me one ? :D :grinpimp: please

i'm afraid my source will cut me off :(

if some how it seems cool to swing it i'll let you kmow :p

#19 ·
Don't you find the 3 turn box too twitchy on road?

I use a 6537C box from a 74 Fleetwood 13/16 input, big bore, 4 bolt, 4 turn mofo that I only need my pinky finger to drive with.

#20 · (Edited)
Killerpee said:
Does anyone know if there is an o-ring version of the J20 (large piston) box, and if so, what is the year for it???

call ARI tech line 888-726-2234........... they are a wealth of info for boxess and pumps :)

#21 ·
(im searching and obviously dont ever post in this section) but I have a 79' J20 box and it is a 3 turn box, i think its kind twitchy. Its defintly nitght/day difference in steering effort even with 38s...

killerpee - the 80ish up J20 boxes had o-rings (can't speek to the other differences. (i had verified this with my power steering hose catalog)

On the number of turns ? I seem to be hitting the internal stops and cant get lock to lock on the kuckles, m wondering if a 4 turn box simply has more internal throw ?? If my arm could more slightly more id be all set...

#22 ·
funny you mention that , I have the 4.25 turn box ( 4 bolt) and with tires on concrete at 15 lb. I can turn em easy but they stop just short of stops. jack up front tires and it goes stop to stop with no strain and is well within motion or range of box. I just figure with rolling it will go stop to stop when on concrete...

#24 ·
peesalot said:
funny you mention that , I have the 4.25 turn box ( 4 bolt) and with tires on concrete at 15 lb. I can turn em easy but they stop just short of stops. jack up front tires and it goes stop to stop with no strain and is well within motion or range of box. I just figure with rolling it will go stop to stop when on concrete...
Got me on that one....I was thinking pitman arm length. A longer gives you more travel but would also make it steer faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.