Pirate 4x4 banner

lift blocks?

25K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  hellojello74 
#1 ·
hi, are lift blocks a viable way to lift my truck got it lifted some already but would liek some more room and lift blocks seem to look good, can i put them on teh front and back and what are pros and cons thanks

#3 ·
Lifting blocks work fine in the rear. Its already been said but dont get too large of blocks. I would personally draw the line at 4" blocks. As the block gets taller the forces creating axle wrap increase. Too much axle wrap=breakage. In addition the taller the block the higher your center of gravity. Then your u-bolts start getting real long and the longer they get the more leverage is placed on them, then they might want to break. Also, if you get blocks, steel is the way to go, stay away from aluminum they can crack.

Another note is after the blocks are installed you are going to want to run them and retorque the u-bolts a few times. They like to work themselves loose.

Longer shackles can also get you a little more lift.

#4 · (Edited)
Id do shackles first if you havent already but for the rear i liked mine, you can get a bit more clearance with a flatter spring, run a track bar for wheel hop. As for the center of gravity argument above thats part of lifting a truck no matter how you do it. Sounds like youre on a budget like most of us so for the front you can use wrangler rear springs I got 4" procomp springs with bushings for about 100 bucks awhile back and Im suprised more people dont run them for the price they work great and bolt right in all you have to do is shave a little bit off of the bushings. the 4" springs gave me about 6 or 7 inches of lift on my 82

#6 ·
hellojello74 said:
so if i do lift bocks in the back, what woudl be used to compensate in the front,ive got an 81 toy
81 Toy is solid front axle with leaf springs all around - right??

Save up your money and buy a complete kit that replaces all 4 of your leaf spring paks.

Don't go with blocks. I've known guys who have blocks on their rigs, go wheeling and get on the gas too much and the lift blocks go flying out.....almost castrated a buddy of mine when it hit him on the inside of his leg!

Blocks are bad!!

#7 ·
Under no circumstances should blocks be put in the front. Not only is it dangerous to you and your passengers, but also to anyone close to your vehicle.

That being said, I ran a 3" block in the rear of my Toy for 5 years. Didn't have any problems but maybe I was lucky. Since then I've replaced them with 5" springs.

Your options for a mild lift are shackles or body lift. 4Crawler sells the best body lift kit on the market for Toys.

There are tons of threads on this board about spring options. Many guys building there own spring packs from the local junk yards for cheap, Mazda, Chevy, and YJ springs. There are also threads on moving your rears to the front. Do a search, there are lots of options for the Toy.

If you are still stuck on blocks, they are a cheap alternative and for the rear only. As said before, there are better options than blocks. Depends on your budget, and what your plans are for your vehicle.

#11 ·
They're fine. If blocks are shootin out, something else caused it (loose bolts,aluminum blocks, bad casting,). Like I said, check the torque on them often in the begining then keep an eye on them from there. Buy a good quality set and you wont have any problems. Every one I have wheeled with runs them, and we dont pussy foot around. Your only real concern is axle wrap and if that becomes a problem it can easily be cured by bolting in another shorter leaf in the leaf pack. Blocks are one of the easiest and most effective ways of achieving lift. But dont abuse this...6" blocks arent cool. Now as far as the front. Do you have a welder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.