Pirate 4x4 banner

Learn me on AK-47s and variants

5K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  usmcdoc14 
#1 ·
Well i am seriously concidering a new toy for not a whole hella lot of cash :D and the AK seems to fit the bill. Basicly what i want is your first hand info/input on what model you have/had and likes and dislikes of that make/model. Also any tips you can throw around to an AK newb. :flipoff2:

i realy realy LOOOVE the look of an AMD 65 and was wondering how hard it is to convert a basic AK to this variant. Is it just change out parts and use the old reciever or what? also does anyone just sell a FINISHED AK reciever ? not an 80% or "in white" but a finished reciever so i can make an AMD65 without having to buy a whole gun first .

thanks and keep the info comming

#2 ·
I love my AK.

It's a cheap-ass commie-rifle, but unlike some of my more expensive guns, it has NEVER failed to fire. I shoot the cheap russian Wolf ammo through it, rarely clean it, and kick it around the campsite like a stray dog that just stole my steak and pissed on my tent.

For the price, you can't go wrong with an AK.

#3 ·
Be careful as to what you get. Stay away from some of the Romanian ones as they will only accept single stack mags so you can't use High capacity with them or you will have to pay thru the nose for special ones. For an AMD65 Best bet would be to buy a parts kit and a reciever and build your own. Alot cheaper. Just my .02

http://villian007.tripod.com/

#6 ·
ya i have been reading on the assortment of AK boards for the last few days. and i also learned that the diffrence between high and low cap mag usage is a dremel tool away :flipoff2:

I want a nice "evil" rifle :D and the AMD seems to fit that bill :laughing:

keep throwing info and hints..i am all ears

#8 ·
fullygruntled said:
edit: I should also note that since the barrel is only about 13" long, constructing an AMD65 from parts is still quite illegal.
get a longer muzzle break from a couple of diffrent places or pay for the tax stamp on a short rifle :evil:

#10 ·
usmcdoc14 said:
get a longer muzzle break from a couple of diffrent places or pay for the tax stamp on a short rifle :evil:
re: the tax stamp, you kinda cross the line delineating "cheap" and the other choices... plus, you live in MD... plus, you essentially give the ATF permission to search you whenever they feel like it. Class 3 can be a royal pain in the rump.

#12 ·
fullygruntled said:
re: the tax stamp, you kinda cross the line delineating "cheap" and the other choices... plus, you live in MD... plus, you essentially give the ATF permission to search you whenever they feel like it. Class 3 can be a royal pain in the rump.
i will just stick the longer brake on it :laughing: these fawkers around here scare me :D

#13 ·
"I'm Mean, Nasty, and Tired. I piss Napalm, and Chew Concertina Wire and I can put a round thru a Flea's ass at 500 meters, so do me a favor mutt face and go hump someone elses leg before I push yours in"

Great Movie.:lol:

#18 ·
I've got an AK-74, and actually prefer the 5.45x39 cal to the 7.62, mainly because the 5.45 is more accurate, has a more flat trajectory, and has less recoil. Downside is it's not as easy to come by.

Stay away from Hesse/Vulcan recievers. Their ejector rails are not heat treated, and tend to be rather soft. Mine has worn out, and had I known then what I know now, I would have not gotten one built from a Hesse reciever.

You might also look into the Vepr variants, made by robarms. They're extremely nice, and damn accurate. I've shot one in the 7.62 cal and loved it. I'm planning on getting one in the 5.45 cal for my next AK purchase.

#19 ·
ok has anyone MADE thier own AK from a flat reciever? i am looking at this and with my basic machining/welding/knifesmithing skills i think i could easily do that :eek:

and for the "Thats illegal" people :flipoff2:
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

#21 ·
#23 ·
usmcdoc14 said:
ok has anyone MADE thier own AK from a flat reciever? i am looking at this and with my basic machining/welding/knifesmithing skills i think i could easily do that :eek:

and for the "Thats illegal" people :flipoff2:
With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a nonlicensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms.
However, a person is prohibited from making a semiautomatic assault weapon or assembling a nonsporting semiautomatic rifle or nonsporting shotgun from
imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machinegun will not be
approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a federal or state agency. [18 U. S. C. 922( o), (r), (v), and 923, 27 CFR 178.39, 178.40, 178.41 and 179.105]

Maybe contact that old boy on here from Pakistan. Maybe he has first hand knowledge of the manufacturing that went on in his neck of the woods from the Soviet invasion. I read that there was quite a few backyard machinists putting AK's out during that time.

#24 ·
Bubba Ray Boudreaux said:
Maybe contact that old boy on here from Pakistan. Maybe he has first hand knowledge of the manufacturing that went on in his neck of the woods from the Soviet invasion. I read that there was quite a few backyard machinists putting AK's out during that time.
thinking about a 80% reciever because it is already heat treated... and it counts as a US built part
:flipoff2: :laughing:

its only $60 till the gun shop rapes me on FFL shipment :shaking:

#25 ·
I have assembled 3 different AKs on both the Ohio ordinance and the global trades receivers. For $70 you can buy a complete reciever vs $ 40-50 for a flat. I would recomend a regular type AK for the first build over the 65. Granted the 65 is fun, but the12.5" barrel vs the 16.5 barrel on a standard AK makes a big difference in accuracy. Contrary to what others may say a Hungarian or Bulgarian variant is quite accurate out to about 200 yards, after that the bullet drops quite a bit. The 7.62x39 is balisticaly similar to the 30-30 and muzzle velocity is a consistant 2400FPS. An extended brake has to be either 1100 degree soldered on or welded, making it a permanant part of the barrel.
If you can find an '"AMD63" parts kit to build they are very well made and have a deffinite accuracy edge over the 65. Make sure to comply with US Parts regulations.
Tapco WWW.Tapco.com has a complete kit that they are selling for the 65 with all Us Compliance parts you will need. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail as I am not on pirate nearly as much as I used to be.

#26 · (Edited)
how do you feel on the tapped and bolted vrs. riveted ? ::edit nevermind ya answered that :::

I am looking at the ohio ordanance one as it looks killer for the price. I may or may not go with a full barrel. i just like short CQB toys :evil: :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.