Pirate 4x4 banner

Learn me on AK-47s and variants

5K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  usmcdoc14 
#1 ·
Well i am seriously concidering a new toy for not a whole hella lot of cash :D and the AK seems to fit the bill. Basicly what i want is your first hand info/input on what model you have/had and likes and dislikes of that make/model. Also any tips you can throw around to an AK newb. :flipoff2:

i realy realy LOOOVE the look of an AMD 65 and was wondering how hard it is to convert a basic AK to this variant. Is it just change out parts and use the old reciever or what? also does anyone just sell a FINISHED AK reciever ? not an 80% or "in white" but a finished reciever so i can make an AMD65 without having to buy a whole gun first .

thanks and keep the info comming

#27 ·
If the shop wants more than $30 for a transfer tell them to get bent. I have seen some interesting jigs for bending flats and the best one I have seen was made out of four peices of flat steel that were stacked togtherand the receiver flat was bent over themand they were removed from the center after it was bent. Building a receiver is more infinitely difficult than buying one and it can cost you more in the long run. I build my rifles with grade 8 button head machine screws wo They can be dissasembled at a later date if need be. It is much easier than pressing rivits and using a buckinb bar and a press. To properly rivet a rifle togther the barrel needs to be pressed out. This affects head space and is a real PIA.

A nice Romanian AK can be found that will be reliagle and fairly accurate for $300-$370.
Do not pay over $400 for a Romanian avoid the WASR as they wer single stack AK converted to double stack and don't function quite as well.

#28 ·
The Global Trades Receiver is better in my opinion, it is made of thicker sheet metal and is much stronger than the Ohio ordinance, which is a good receiver, but there a few little problems with it that bug me that are not present on the Global Trades Receiver. The selector lever gap being the main one. The global trades receiver is more work though, since the receiver is thicker the front and rear trunions have to be ground or machined down to fit in the reciever.
As for the durability of Screwing vs Riveting, riveting is ultimately stronger, but one guy on the AK forum had well over 10,000 rounds through a screwed togther build and no problems at all. Make sure to use either red or green locktite on all fasteners, I use red. The green is cylindrical locking and rumor is it doesn't come apart. The red will release if the screw is heated with a soldering gun of sufficient wattage.

#29 ·
fullygruntled said:
Generally, stay away from Chinese manufactured AKs for anything but a cheap beater.
Hey, leave my cheap Chinese beaters alone! :flipoff2: I've got 2 Norinco's and they just keep on shootin'. I didn't realy get them for the accuracy anyway. If you hold them just right they will empty a 30-rounder in a big hurry. :D

#30 ·
well first shop i stopped at wanted $30 to transfer a shotgun but $50 to transfer a reciever or pistol :rolleyes: gonna call a few more tomorow

#32 ·
I am realy realy concidering a laser cut reciever. that shit looks stronger and better than the shit i have seen.

ooooh nooooo some 90 degree welding and some heat treating :D never done that before

might even cyro treat it before i make it 100% :evil:

#34 ·
animator said:
I've got an AK-74, and actually prefer the 5.45x39 cal to the 7.62, mainly because the 5.45 is more accurate, has a more flat trajectory, and has less recoil. Downside is it's not as easy to come by.

Stay away from Hesse/Vulcan recievers. Their ejector rails are not heat treated, and tend to be rather soft. Mine has worn out, and had I known then what I know now, I would have not gotten one built from a Hesse reciever.

You might also look into the Vepr variants, made by robarms. They're extremely nice, and damn accurate. I've shot one in the 7.62 cal and loved it. I'm planning on getting one in the 5.45 cal for my next AK purchase.
..ditto...All true...I have the 74 and prefer it over the 47

#35 ·
The AK-47, invented by Mikhail Klashnikov (hey, I could have the spelling wrong).

He doesn't get one stinking ruble in royalties, or anything, for every one produced.

So, he's putting his name on a new vodka that will be available in the US and Europe...

Capitalism comes to Mother Russia.

#37 ·
usmcdoc14 said:
well first shop i stopped at wanted $30 to transfer a shotgun but $50 to transfer a reciever or pistol :rolleyes: gonna call a few more tomorow

Who are you trying to get to do the transfer. I know a place that will do it in Glen Burnie and I "think" it would be $30 no matter what it is.

Also you should check the MD state assault weapons laws as they are really wierd. If MD says it is an assault rifle you have to go through the wait and state background check just like for a handgun. My Bushy M4 is classified an assault weapon only because the barrel tapers down under the hand guards.

#38 ·
well it seems i am going to use the weld up reciever because its cheap :D and well its cheap :D but because i can get a better product than a flat sheet that is pressed. all the bad i have heard about it is "they are hard to weld" :confused: its a friggen box. its NOT hard to weld :laughing:

now i need to decide on an upper style i want :D

#40 ·
Hef said:
If I were building one I'd want to build an AN-94 clone. :D

I think you should consider AR style sights, since you're more familiar with them AND they're better. I would also suggest black polymer furniture because IT LOOKS TOTALLY EVIL. :evil: :D :D :D

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm
that gun i dont care for..

polymer stocks are a given. i hate wood in a combat weapon. i want to be able to butt stroke a skull and not split the stock :D

well and its evil :evil:

#41 ·
Bubba Ray Boudreaux said:
Maybe contact that old boy on here from Pakistan. Maybe he has first hand knowledge of the manufacturing that went on in his neck of the woods from the Soviet invasion. I read that there was quite a few backyard machinists putting AK's out during that time.
:).. In fact.. I am planning to do a pictorial on the manufacturing of guns here in Pakistan pretty soon.. It is rumoured that they even have a local version of the Barretta pistol on the papers now..
:)
Ehsan

#42 ·
ehsankiani said:
:).. In fact.. I am planning to do a pictorial on the manufacturing of guns here in Pakistan pretty soon.. It is rumoured that they even have a local version of the Barretta pistol on the papers now..
:)
Ehsan

can you ship me some..enclosed in a steel box that is stamped "JEEP" so it isnt noticed :flipoff2:

#43 ·
Hef said:
If I were building one I'd want to build an AN-94 clone. :D

I think you should consider AR style sights, since you're more familiar with them AND they're better. I would also suggest black polymer furniture because IT LOOKS TOTALLY EVIL. :evil: :D :D :D

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm
Black looks good and evil, but the traditional wood gives that "I'm a third world, shit kicking revolutionary and I'm here for your children" impression. :D

#46 ·
Bubba Ray Boudreaux said:
Black looks good and evil, but the traditional wood gives that "I'm a third world, shit kicking revolutionary and I'm here for your children" impression. :D

True. A nice blondwood AK looks real classic (and mean). I'm still partial to the look of smooth, black, evil plastic guns though.

#47 ·
Mo said:
nothing says "I'm comfortable with my manhood" like a an AR with pink furniture.
i was thinking OD green and black on the whole thing :D

I went an showed bev the "plum" colored stuff and she was like "oooh purple guns" :laughing:

#48 ·
well i will be getting the AMD-65 kits this week. the place i ordered from fawked up a little so to make it up i am getting HANDPICKED kits for $79 each :D

ordered 2 screw kits and now i am just waiting on info as to weather i am going to have someone who is trying to hook me up with a free/near free FFL transfer or if i want to suck up the $30 fee or get balsy and build my own

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.