Pirate 4x4 banner

Leaf spring question: Center pin and axle location??

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  nose 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am doing a RUF swap. I need to relocate the axle relative to the center pin to keep it there it was.
The center pin will be right behind the axle perch (yes, I am SPUA). The center pin will be between the two holes for the rear U-bolt in the U-bolt-plate. I hope I make sense...

What do you think from your experience?:
Will the spring break when the center pin is not between the two U-bolts?
Should I weld an extension to the perch or does it make things worse?

Thanks for your comments.

norbert

#2 ·
As long as the hole where the center pin is firmly clamped between the perch and the plate, it should be fine. If the area where the pin is is allowed to flex freely, I bet the main-leaf will eventually break at the pin.

#5 ·
nose said:
Hi,
I am doing a RUF swap. I need to relocate the axle relative to the center pin to keep it there it was.
The center pin will be right behind the axle perch (yes, I am SPUA). The center pin will be between the two holes for the rear U-bolt in the U-bolt-plate. I hope I make sense...
What do you think from your experience?:
Will the spring break when the center pin is not between the two U-bolts?
Should I weld an extension to the perch or does it make things worse?
Thanks for your comments.
norbert
That's why I recommend just buying the $60 RUF kit from Rocky road or wherever, because it comes with a steel pin relocating shim. It saves the headache you are having now.

#6 ·
when doing a ruf you should be able to drill the spring perch back one inch as well as the spring plate. that will get you 1 inch you can get another 3/4 inch by drilling the a new hole in the frame mount for the leaf spring. moving the whole spring back 3/4 of an inch. I think between the two the axle will be within a 1/4 inch of stock.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input.
In the meantime I have:
- cut stock rear hangers (for front axle) off the frame
- bend and welded new hangers that move spring 2" back and 1+1/8" downwards.
- welded hangers to frame
- extended U-bolt plate 2"

The front axle will sit 1" to 1+1/2" forward comp. to stock. The front (longer)shackle will sit at stock angle.
EDIT: The center pin will be a bit less than 3" behind the stock hole in axle perches. So it will sit 1/2" BEHIND the perch.

Things left are:
- extend axle perch 2"
- make spring pack.

I will post some pics when I have my red star back (paypal...) or a write up at the hp (see below)

thanks again,

Norbert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.