Pirate 4x4 banner

Finally, the Red Rhino Hybrid... PICS

6K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  PTSchram 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, it's time to get this thread rolling. I finally got my red star! :grinpimp: And to think, all I had to do was get on my knees.

The basis of the project was a busted Disco I that I bought for parts, just about all of the saleable stuff is gone and I have been working away stripping it down.

The plan is to build up a 100" Defender soft-top with a full external cage, fit some sort of narly 3-link up front with coils & retain the rear with some slinky springs and bling bling Bilsteins, use Keiths mad scientist shop kit to install some Toyo e-lockers and axles and possibly use the drop boxes from France, run some 15x8 allied bead locks w/ some sort 34ish mud tires, fit the the t-case with gears from Ashcroft, either build a loud obnoxius racey petrol V8 or go with some sort of American V8 power diesel, build a complete black 5 bar plate interior fitted with all kinds neat little gadgets and an internal cage...yada yada yada.

So, enjoy the photos as they come. I hope to start working on it more once things slow down with the Outback Disco but I will be sure to keep things updated.

This weekend we should have fun lifting the body off the frame. We could just use 5 or 6 guys or an engine hoist but here at Red Rhino we believe in making the most of things. :grinpimp: Something along the lines of a 35' tree, some snatch blocks, a winch and the ripping of the bolts that are still connected should take place...and don't forget the bikini clad women, chiansaws or the beer either.

KVT, if your watching...flame on :flipoff2:

- As it sat for a LONG time -

- The guts torn out -

- My old man w/ the flame -

- Colin having his way with the hinges -

- All the doors off -

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Currently we are in Mandarin and are working on building a new shop in St. Johns county sometime late this year. We do not have a retail front nor do I think we ever will. When the shop goes up it will just be for our own and other local friends/customers use.

Where are you? Would you like to join in on the festivities? :D

#9 ·
JSBriggs said:
OK???
HACK!

-Jeff
It would have been sooooo easy to pop the doors of the traditional way but sometimes you just need increase the "OK" factor...

And let's be honest, things just tend to be more fun when you use a torch or a plasma cutter. Don't your agree?

#11 ·
RedRhinoProducts said:
Currently we are in Mandarin and are working on building a new shop in St. Johns county sometime late this year. We do not have a retail front nor do I think we ever will. When the shop goes up it will just be for our own and other local friends/customers use.

Where are you? Would you like to join in on the festivities? :D
PM'd you...enuff with the post padding. :flipoff2:

#12 ·
64rovr said:
Not really. I like the easy way of doing things, not the flammable way of doing things.
I agree, but I think both ways have their place. I work a great deal of the day doing Rover related stuff and the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is keep the monotony rolling when working on my personal projects.

I guess some days I just require the use of a chainsaw, big hammer or cutting torch to keep my sanity...even if it's not warranted. Hmm...maybe your right there is something wrong here. :D

#17 ·
Yeah the weather is nice down here accept for the fawking Hurricanes.

We are waiting on building the new shop with fancy lifts and all so right now I am doing most of the stripping outsite. Once the frame comes back from galvanizing I will move it into my garage if the shop is not built yet...hell I would move it into the living room but I don't think the Mrs. would appreciate that. :)

I am looking forward to many late night knuckle busting sessions but the end result should be good.

#19 · (Edited)
No, you got it all.. We are going to build an internal cage and stretch the soft top over it. We are then going to build an external cage with a roof basket somewhat similar to the Tomb Raider Defendet but not...does that make sense? I guess kind of similar to a NAS 90 soft top with the external SD roof rack basket but a bit beefier and functional.

#21 ·
Leafy, cmon... We need somewhere for the all the women and beer to sit while we are doing are thing. It's hard to picture but it will look good, if it looks like shit when I am done then bust my balls but at least give me a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.