Pirate 4x4 banner

Extreme Explorer - Need Pics and Build Specs Please?

6K views 91 replies 34 participants last post by  Racerx70 
#1 ·
Anyone out there running an Explorer that is built up enough to keep up with some Jeeps?

Got pics? Specs?

Thanks In Advance...

#3 ·
Pretty much a Jeep on 33s doing light trail work. I got a dumbass buddy who thinks his Jeep is the shiznit and no Explorer could keep up with it. Of course, he's replacing his stock Jeep parts with EB axles and wants a 5.0L V8 to replace his crappy 4 popper. Will probably run an NV tranny and who knows what for a T-case. I just want to show him some nice Explorer setups that would not only "keep up" but annialiate his pansy Jeep.

#10 ·
a rig like rino351's is gonna be hard pressed to show up a tj on 33's. the dumbass d35 hangs in ruts with 35 inch tires where a d30 tj just romps through with 33's.. and that fact bugs the shit out of me too.

ricks rig is a hellraiser though. i definatly think it can go toe to toe with any other easily street driven rig.

#11 ·
bobbywalter said:
a rig like rino351's is gonna be hard pressed to show up a tj on 33's. the dumbass d35 hangs in ruts with 35 inch tires where a d30 tj just romps through with 33's.. and that fact bugs the shit out of me too.
It all depends on what kinda trails we're talkin. Az stuff in the 3-4 range is easily conquered with a decently built sploder. Rino351 does need a set of lockers & some 35s tho.

#16 ·
D60 said:
I was thinking the same thing. That's not just Ackerman
You guys only see things that "bend in the middle" when you're trying to make mama happy and your stuff isn't behavin'... :D

The TTB that bends in the middle makes for some interesting steering, but it doesn't seem to bother much on the trail. I've got my stuff up to some fair amount of travel (like 17" or so on the Ex and almost 20 on the Ranger I wheel) and when you "bend" an axle in the middle that much, it is going to mess with steering somewhat.

What I have noticed in wheeling with my stuff next to my kids XJ's with SAS is that I can drink a coke while flexed out, while they need to wear helmets to stop from hitting their heads on the door frame... Just a difference in the way the two different types of suspension work. Mine doesn't pitch me side to side when it flexes out - while their's does. Sometimes it favors them - sometimes me. I generally come out on top in the real off-camber stuff.

#17 ·
el ranger loco said:
It all depends on what kinda trails we're talkin. Az stuff in the 3-4 range is easily conquered with a decently built sploder. Rino351 does need a set of lockers & some 35s tho.
it's on the way. be patient
oh, and about the dubmass D35 comment, yeah, I know, that's why I'm going solid soon. this summer prolly

#18 ·
D60 said:
I was thinking the same thing. That's not just Ackerman
Funny... The only thing I see there is the normal camber affect thats typical of a TTB. The toe looks very consistent.
Bad toe wildly changing around because the steering linkage angle is all fawked up by a liftkit who's drop pitman arm doesn't match the lift's height is what makes the thing handle all weird wandering all over the place (not to mention eat tires up). Camber has very little to do with it.

#19 ·
4x4junkie said:
Funny... The only thing I see there is the normal camber affect thats typical of a TTB. The toe looks very consistent.
Bad toe wildly changing around because the steering linkage angle is all fawked up by a liftkit who's drop pitman arm doesn't match the lift's height is what makes the thing handle all weird wandering all over the place (not to mention eat tires up). Camber has very little to do with it.
Youre a defender of TTB to the end dude.. I like that! Ive wheeled my share of ttb trucks & I dont notice the camber changing at all [who would] but the toe is just all over the place & on solid surface like rocks its noticable, but not unbearable. I was just acknowleging the fact that ttb fucks up the camber [badly] when flexed out. Being that it comes in rangers, & I like rangers, I can certainly live with a d35 front. :flipoff2:

#21 · (Edited)
el ranger loco said:
Youre a defender of TTB to the end dude.. I like that! Ive wheeled my share of ttb trucks & I dont notice the camber changing at all [who would] but the toe is just all over the place & on solid surface like rocks its noticable, but not unbearable. I was just acknowleging the fact that ttb fucks up the camber [badly] when flexed out. Being that it comes in rangers, & I like rangers, I can certainly live with a d35 front. :flipoff2:
I guess I do defend it a lot, huh? :rasta:
I try to spread a little knowledge about it. Obviously I have no control whether others believe it though.

It does baffle me that it is such a misunderstood suspension. 95% of the issues people whine about are easily correctable without swapping the whole thing. The suspension kit manufacturers do nothing to help though :rolleyes:

Since this is a pic thread, heres a couple on one of mine:

Ok, so no its not an Exploder, but pretty close :flipoff2:

#25 ·
Nice job of streching your legs Fredrick........... :) I'm impressed

#26 ·
BUZZISCRAZY2 said:
Nice job of streching your legs Fredrick........... :) I'm impressed
It's hard to show just how much it really moves, but this gives you some idea... The tires are not all the way off the ground in the picture - and the sway bar is still hooked up as well. It has about 3 more inches, I'd say. The Ranger does about 4" more than the Explorer due to a tad more "clearencing."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.