Pirate 4x4 banner

what GM tilt colum

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ironpig70 
#1 ·
what colum are you guys using I'm lookin at a 82 sub for a motor swap and well its got a tilt colum in it ... is it too long ...I know welder fixes all but is this even the right thing to start with .... i searched but didnt find what people pulled theres out of or any good pics of the firewall mods...

thanx in advanced Joel

#2 ·
mines from a pontiac. i used the factory gm mount and cut the "ears" off. i then took the stock cruier and cut those "ears" off cause there oval hole and thus more adjustment. i welded the toy "ears" to the chevy mount. hard to explain and i'll get some pics for you this weekend if yoiu want.

#3 ·
ironpig70 said:
mines from a pontiac. i used the factory gm mount and cut the "ears" off. i then took the stock cruier and cut those "ears" off cause there oval hole and thus more adjustment. i welded the toy "ears" to the chevy mount. hard to explain and i'll get some pics for you this weekend if yoiu want.

no i understand how long is the whole colum and pics would be great ... anyone else

#6 ·
my buddy has one from ididit.com its polished bling (around 400 buck( it's from i think a 56 chevy replacement dealy...

another buddy has one from a bitchin' camaro... (junk yard, i think he said 75 bucks)

#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·

thats a little BLING for me ... but I will ck mine to the Sub one and probley make it work cause its what I got and this is a cheap ass build up :grinpimp:

#11 · (Edited)
I dont know about the suburban column, but I ran into a similar issue with the camero/ firebird column I used. Took some minor fab work to get right, but it wasnt a big deal. I got mine from a mid 80's car, stick shift, tilt column. I trimmed the plastic housing down a tad to shorted the distance between the steering wheel and the dash (wish I hadn't done that, but oh well cause it put the steering wheel kinda too far away from the seat...), and also shortened the shaft that comes into the engine bay to clear my motor. I was able to slide a splinned shaft into the part I cut down on the engine bay side, and weded that onto the column. Again, not a big deal. This is deffinitely not a flaming river column, but was alot cheaper, and has all worked and looked decent for many many years now.

-Dustin

Attachments

#12 ·
#13 ·
#14 ·
Holy shit........ I can't beleive nobody gave you any decent options out of that thread! Well I guess there were a couple ok ideas.. here's what I know:

GM Caddy 70's- mid 80's telescopic/tilt

early 70's to late 70's Cameros, El Caminos, Chevelles, Novas, Etc....

Even 70's thru 80's GM trucks will fit with minimal modifactions.

I would guess that even Ford and Chrysler products would work just as well, but I'm just not sure because I never have even bothered to check with any of them. I always seem to find what I need with GM Products.

#16 ·
choreboy2 said:
What do you want from me, a VIN number??! :flipoff2:

They are shaweet for a Cruiser.

:D
Dustin

do you have it :flipoff2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.