Pirate 4x4 banner

jeep newbie question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rupert 
#1 ·
Hi a newbie here and just wanted to ask a question ,i have an 04 tj that i have installed the 3.5 r.e super flexy lift ,2 inch b.l. and running 35s ,the current set up works good but i want to elimate my t.c drop and go with a flat skid , i know i need a sye and drive shaft but my question is when it comes to adjustable rear uppers , i was thinking of building some , but seems like time i buy all the parts and material not really saving any cash , but i was looking at rockkrawlers 4 link triangulation kit , whats the benifit of this system compared to just buying r.e. rear uppers , and will it work good for my application , i know it is more money but is it worth the cost ? sorry for such a long newb question

#2 ·
rupert said:
Hi a newbie here and just wanted to ask a question ,i have an 04 tj that i have installed the 3.5 r.e super flexy lift ,2 inch b.l. and running 35s ,the current set up works good but i want to elimate my t.c drop and go with a flat skid , i know i need a sye and drive shaft but my question is when it comes to adjustable rear uppers , i was thinking of building some , but seems like time i buy all the parts and material not really saving any cash , but i was looking at rockkrawlers 4 link triangulation kit , whats the benifit of this system compared to just buying r.e. rear uppers , and will it work good for my application , i know it is more money but is it worth the cost ? sorry for such a long newb question
I'd suggest doing a search for rockkrawler. Even though rumor is that they have cleaned up their act, I'd still be wary of them.

To answer you question though, we need to clean up this post. :flipoff2:

So, you have a 3.5" RE SF kit.
2" Body
35's and you are running a T-case drop. Ok.

Is your only question that you want to go with a flat skid, and you are concernced about uppers?

#3 ·
RK's rear setup is stout. The weld on is better then the bolt on.

For regular TJ with a 3.5 and a tucked skid a super short sye would be best to get as much DL length as you can.

The triangulated 4 link allows more clearence at the gas tank because you lose the track bar. It flexes slightly better then a 5 link. RK's has good geometry on the short arm.

RK's setups weak spot is the soft bushings on the upper arms, frameside. If the arms get loose they will chew the upper bushings in a hurry. Moog 89-01 cherokee trackbar bushings are a better replacement, and cheap cheap.

HTH

#4 ·
When you say "i want to elimate my t.c drop and go with a flat skid", do you mean just removing the spacers; or remove spacers and go with a flat skid plate like others have built or a Tera BellyUp/similar?

If you're just looking to remove spacers, then you should get enough angle on a 1" motor mount lift with your current setup. It worked for me when I had RE 3.5 springs. This is probably the cheapest, since you're already running the body lift.

If you're going fully flat, then you'll need a SYE & adjustable uppers, however you get there.

Spend wisely on aftermarket kits. Oddly, there is info about different products if you search. If you search on my name and Rockkrawler, you can find my opinion; and I think bnine's too.

#5 ·
thks guys yes i want to get rid of my tc drop and go with a flat skid all together ,i know i need sye and adjustable uppers i was just wondering if the rk kit was a better buy then say r.e uppers is one pivot point that much better. I did search but the amount you get back is overwhelming i will read some more thks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.