Pirate 4x4 banner

Who Has Pretzled a YJ Tie Rod?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mrblaine 
#1 ·
Who has pretzled a factory yj tie rod? Are they solid steel from the factory? I'm running cross over steering so my drag link doesn't mount to the tie rod and i don't really need my steering stablizer. It's a not really possible to sleve so i'm thinking maybe angle iron. How often do they actually bend? We have a lot of trees and stumps but very few rocks up here. Anybody destroy an end?

I pretzled my drag link that was mounted way up high so i ended up sleveing it and throwing a spare in the trail box. Now i just need to beef up my tie rod so i have some beefy steering.

#2 ·
I've bent 2 stock tie rods and yes, they are solid. Was able to keep wheeling on both of them but replaced before spending time on the road. Have literally pretzeled a drag link.

AS long as you're not running Hydro assist, I'd just stick with the stocker. Once you bend it up, go to a DOM or solid bar tie rod, especially if you're high steer on the drag link.

#9 ·
i hade my draglink drilled and taped to 3/4 NF and the threads wore. i caught it before the heim pulled out, but it could have been bad. for drilling and taping tube, remember the threads are not as strong as an insert or a nut.

remember your buddy's cj5 after he ran up that tree? his draglink heim pulled out.
-bildo

#10 ·
BarrelRoll said:
Ok, time to build a beefy one. time to find some 1 1/8" 1/4" wall tubing and tap it to use stock right hand thread ends.
We pretty consistently take out 1 1/8" stuff in the rocks seemingly with no regard to wall thickness. Bumping up to sleeved 1 1/4" slows it way down. Not sure of the dynamics, but an eighth of an inch doesn't seem like it should make as much difference as it does.

I ran the same 1 1/4" .250 wall tie rod in JV for two seasons with ram assist and it's still good to go. In the same period, we helped swap out several bent smaller tie-rods on both YJ's and TJ's. The only other TR that was as durable was the solid one in the Currie HD steering set-up. We've yet to take one of those out and there's at least 6 sets of it out there on a steady basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.