Pirate 4x4 banner

XJ Cab Chop and 404s Build-Up

181K views 208 replies 66 participants last post by  859054 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you have asked for a build-up thread so here goes.

Started last October with:

Specs then:
-HP44 and 9" - full-width, 4.88s, Ox front and Detroit rear
-9" lift, 3-link with trac bar, leaves/blocks
-37" Irok radials, etc.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
This was a daily driver and after several incidents that nearly removed my quarter glass I decided to go Cheromanche. They say that the first major cut is always the hardest

#16 ·
Dude the new bed and tail lights are SWEET. I kind of like what you did with the reservoirs on your shocks too.

#17 ·
geberhard - I'll talk more about the diffs tonight when I get home from work. They do have a pinion conversion and Exaxt narrowed the housings 7".

#24 ·
Now I guess everyone's going to want to know about the diffs:smokin:

Originally, I was going to re-use the HP44 and 9" with a set of 39.5" Iroks, but then I came across a sweet deal on these:

#25 ·
For those that do not recognize them, they were a set of 411 series Unimog axles. They were about 56" wide which is 14" narrower than a 404. So I contacted Exaxt, had them supply two 404 housings narrowed 7" each and front and rear passenger side 404 shafts. I re-used the 411 drivers side shafts which saved me some $$$. These diffs already had a pinion conversion done on them about 10 yrs ago by the previous owner who was going to use them under and early Bronco in a local mud racing association until they banned portal axles. Thus, they sat unused in a shed until I scooped them up for an absurd deal just to get them out of his way. As you can see, the plan was to use the drums as they should have been OK for my little Jeep - more on that later.:shaking:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.