Pirate 4x4 banner

2 1/2 ton rockwell 2" axle buildup

49K views 137 replies 35 participants last post by  54inches 
#1 ·
These are the 2" X 47 spline, forged aircraft quality 4340 axles and components made buy Ouverson Eng. This customer asked for a locker in the front and mini spool for the rear. This will be a step by step machining procedure for installing this setup. steve

Attachments

See less See more
#36 ·
steve gerstner said:
Put the line bore jig in and see how bad it is off, the 1.625 bar will not fit in the jig, the housing is bent 7/8" off center.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just how in the fawk does one go about bending a rockwell housing? What kind of rig is this thing being run in? So much for the myth about rockwell housings being indestructable.

#37 ·
I have noticed that in the pic's the line bore jig can not be seen. This is it, i could not do anything with out this little jewel. It has large alum. pucks machined to fit where the bearings were with 660 bronze bushings for the shaft to fit through. Shaft is 4340 TPG 78" long. This is used to narrow housings(both sides at once), used for checking bent housings and straighting, turn bolt pattern 180* for the chunk, set the mounting brackets for the hyl. streering. steve

Attachments

#38 ·
kwrangln said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just how in the fawk does one go about bending a rockwell housing? What kind of rig is this thing being run in? So much for the myth about rockwell housings being indestructable.
It is very easy to bend this housing, for every bracket that is welded on, say a 3/8 plate with 2 welds on each side 3 3/4" long, a good mig at 200 amps, will shrink and pull the spindle over 1/8" EACH bracket. Two on one end , and two at the other end, bingo 1/2". Many housings have brackets welded on and cut off and welded on again. When brackets are welded on the side and then on the top it will curl straight up throught the corner of the housing, as this on did.

#39 ·
MC said:
Randy, are you still planning on the full spool for the 2"ers? Steve thats what I meant and RO is who I meant when I said Randy..LOL
yes actually i am converting to full spools for everything i think. definitely for the two inchers because then guys wont have to bore the carrier halves if they want to spool up. i have forgings coming the end of december, they tell me that anyway. i am pretty sure i can do a full spool for 300-350 so there really isnt a need for the mini spools anymore plus machine time is about the same and i would rather eliminate a process if i can. ro

#41 ·
WOW! What a fun thread for Rockwell guys!!!!!!!

I've worked with some of Randy O's parts and the machining quality is top notch!!!

Nice write up Steve!

#42 ·
85blue4runner said:
whats the advantage of running a mini spool vs a full spool and what are the differences?? seems like you would want beef for these jokers....

Basically i started out with the mini spool because that is what i had the capability to do. Now that i am into forging parts it turns out that it is easier to do a full spool which reduces rotating mass by 4 pounds and is also stronger than the mini's by eliminating the 4 drive pins which have never failed to this day. also with the full spool there would be no boring of carrier halves because that is what the full spool is, two carrier halves splined with whatever you chose. you would still have to bore stock carrier halves for the locker and that is what steve is showing. ro

#46 ·
gatorgrizz27 said:
I remember reading somewhere that Rockwells come with a 7 degree arch in them to offset the massive loads carried by the military trucks. So that may be part of the problem with the axlehousing not being straight?
I have placed the stock rear housing in the lathe for boring the splindles with no runout at the spindle, there is no precamber in the rear housing. There is 1.5* percamber in the front axle,it is in the steering knuckle, there is 2* negitive castor on the king pins. steve

#48 ·
Why the tight tolein''s. Why not run a twist drill down them. Are have a grind down end mill so you can mount them on the side of a mill table or leave them in a truck. Hell they dont spin that fast. Yall act like there going in a top fueler. I know a full floater rear has ton of room in them for the shafts. Hell the shafts dont ride on bearing or nothing. The spindle are the load carrying part of these axle right. Line boring in my eye a waste of time. i bet that was a fun day seeing it swing that big bitch. U run brass studs or bearing in the steady rest.

#49 ·
#51 ·
Ramrock said:
Why the tight tolein''s. Why not run a twist drill down them. Are have a grind down end mill so you can mount them on the side of a mill table or leave them in a truck. Hell they dont spin that fast. Yall act like there going in a top fueler. I know a full floater rear has ton of room in them for the shafts. Hell the shafts dont ride on bearing or nothing. The spindle are the load carrying part of these axle right. Line boring in my eye a waste of time. i bet that was a fun day seeing it swing that big bitch. U run brass studs or bearing in the steady rest.
You can not rely on the spindle hole to guide a drill bit straight, these spindles are froged - the through hole is shaped by a mandrel (soild shaft through this piece yellow hot with forging hammers beating the crap out of it). When i bore these spindles this through hole is off 1/8" and crocked from the center line down inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.