Pirate 4x4 banner

4x4 not working

687 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  s1037s 
#1 ·
hey yall, i have an 87 s10 blazer and we just put a new flex plate in it and we got it all back together and now the 4x4 doesnt work. i think it might be in the adjustment, but i wont be able to work on it until the weekend. so i would like any advise yall can spare. if you think its the transfercase then maybe i should start looking for one in the junkyard. if its the linkage i will just wait for the weekend. also, the CV joints werent spinning when it was in 4x4 so it cant be hubs i dont think.
thanks we got stuck in it when we realized the 4x4 wasent working ( ya i know should have checked)
thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't think your flexplate had much to do with it. Transfercase is probably still good also. Shift the xfercase into 4wd and attempt to turn the driveshaft by hand (with the front wheel off the ground) More than likely it's the CAD unit (central axle disconnect) unit. On the S10 its actuated by a vacuum. It's a common failure, or maybe a line came loose while you were messing with the flexplate. Trace the lines from the CAD (on pass side axle) back up into the engine compartment. If it is bad you can replce it with a cable http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-s.html

#4 ·
s1037s said:
also check to see if the vaccum plug on the tcase has been left loose or forced on the wrong way. been there

what do you mean the vacume plug. are you talking about the 3 or so vacume lines that run to the transfercase or are you talking about a like rubber plug somewhere on the t case. sorry i am kinda a newb when it comes to this truck.

#6 ·
well you guys i just got back from the shop and we got the 4x4 to work. there was a vaccume line not connected and there were holes in another so we plugged the holes with duct tape just to see if they were the problem and apparently they were. it locked in and we had 3 tires spinning.
thanks for the help guys i would never had thought of vaccume

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.