Pirate 4x4 banner

Yet another pistola thread....

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Cue-Ball 
#1 ·
Well, the female in my life wants to purchace a pistol. She likes the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO PT140 .40 S&W.
Anyone have one?
Do you like it?
Will it fit in a small handed person?
How bad is recoil on this little monster?

Linky

#2 ·
I had the pre millenium pt140, total crap. Didn't function properly, tolerances on machining/molding were total crap. Had to remove the loaded round indicator to get it to fully chamber, without a really firm grip it will jam.
:Basically I hated the pos. Not sure of the millenium models but really, you get what you pay for. Just pony up for something known to be worth a crap.

#4 ·
.40 in a 6" pistol with a 3.25" barrel? Not gonna be worth a shit for accuracy or rapid fire. Might be ok for CC.

My Glock 23 is 6.85" with a 4" barrel and I think that's about the limit for small pistol accuracy in .40 The glock 27 is 6.29" with 3.46" barrel and it's pretty much only useful as a "last chance" pistol.

-J

#5 ·
Whats it going to be used for?

If CC, I recommend a revolver. Easy to load, hold, cock, shoot, maintain, and they're reliable and affordable.

If you're going to get a woman an auto, make sure they can run the slide, eject a jammed casing and maintain it so that it will work when you need it most.

#7 ·
Cue-Ball said:
Well, the female in my life wants to purchace a pistol. She likes the Taurus MILLENNIUM PRO PT140 .40 S&W.
Anyone have one?
Do you like it?
Will it fit in a small handed person?
How bad is recoil on this little monster?

Linky
my buddy's wife is a local DA and he bought her a millenium pro in 9mm to carry. she loves it, and she's teeny. fits her hands perfectly. ive fired it and the recoil was light, but it was a 9mm.

#9 ·
A 40 has a little jump to it. My wife is fine with a 9mm and a 357 in a full frame revolver. She doesn't like shooting 40's because the jump.
You can see her shooting deteriorate after the first shot because she starts to anticipate the recoil.

I would rather have my carry a 22 that she was confident with vs. a 40 that she was not confident with.

I let her shoot a 40 before I bought one. She needs to shoot types and calibers of pistol before I would buy one for her. My wife has really liked the looks of certain pistols, after she shot them once she handed it to me and said, "You shoot the rest - I don't like it".

One of my wife's pistols is a Beretta tomcat in 32. Great little pistol for what it is. Reliable, she can load and unload the chamber without working the slide, small, light, fits her hand well, and low recoil. If I was sending her into indain country, I would make her take her 357. Day to day, she likes the tomcat so that's what she chooses. As long as she is confident, I feel better.

Confidence is everything. I know if I don't have confidence in my match guns, I will mess up even if the guns don't, because I was worrying about the function of them. Same way with a pistol bought with CC or self defense in mind. Most would be better off with a sharp pointed stick that they were confident with and proficient than a 4 pound chunk of steel that they would be reluctanct to pull and even more reluctant to use.

#10 ·
She has shot with the boys plenty. She has shot my 45, my .380, my buddy's glock 9mm, and my other buddy's Beretta 9002 40SW.
She says the kick of the 45 is just a bit too much,
she doesn't like the grip size of the glocks, says they are too fat,
she doesn't want a revolver.
She said the kick of the Beretta wasn't bad and she liked shooting it.
since it has a 3.5 in barrell, I figured it was a good comparison to this taurus.

The accuracy of the beretta is WELL within what I would call CC tolerences so I would think the taurus would bo as well.

Yes this is for personal protection.

Sweetie, any time you want to chime in on this thread would be nice., cause I know you are reading it.

#11 · (Edited)
Cue-Ball said:
She has shot with the boys plenty. She has shot my 45, my .380, my buddy's glock 9mm, and my other buddy's Beretta 9002 40SW.
She says the kick of the 45 is just a bit too much,
she doesn't like the grip size of the glocks, says they are too fat,
she doesn't want a revolver.

I like all the "boys" guns they are just too big for my hands, and I wouldnt mind a revolver if I found one that I like.

Basically I want something small enough for my hands, not a horrible recoil, and I sadly am on a budget ($500, but I could probably kick in a few extra bucks). I was also told by the other half that he would like me to have at least a 40.

#13 ·
Cue-Ball'sBitch said:
... I was also told by the other half that he would like me to have at least a 40.
As mentioned earlier, it is much more important that you are comfortable & confident with what you shoot, rather than what someone else thinks you should shoot. One day your life may literally depend on you utilizing this weapon = get the one that's best suited for you. :)

#14 ·
0ILBURNER said:
As mentioned earlier, it is much more important that you are comfortable & confident with what you shoot, rather than what someone else thinks you should shoot. One day your life may literally depend on you utilizing this weapon = get the one that's best suited for you. :)
That is almost exatly what I told her. She told me she didn't mind the kick of the Beretta 40 so I suggested it was a good calibur to look for, that's all. Trust me. Comfortable with the gun and shooting it is A number 1 priority.

#15 ·
Cue-Ball'sBitch said:
I like all the "boys" guns they are just too big for my hands, and I wouldnt mind a revolver if I found one that I like.

Basically I want something small enough for my hands, not a horrible recoil, and I sadly am on a budget ($500, but I could probably kick in a few extra bucks). I was also told by the other half that he would like me to have at least a 40.
ruuger sp-101 2" barrel. it is a .357 for when you are in ***** territory, and you can carry with 38 special loads which have verry little recoil. it is a revolver, but you will never have to worry abouut jams:D

#16 ·
0ILBURNER said:

I know that much, thanks. I am going over to Marietta this weekend and we are going to go shop around and shot some different things. Hopefully I'll find something that I like and if I dont, I will just have to keep looking.

#17 ·
Don't get in a hurry to buy. They are making guns everyday, so there is no shortage.

Shoot some different guns, shoot different calibers in different
configurations. The reason I say this because any caliber in a sub compact has a lot more flip to the muzzle than one in a larger frame. I prefer a 9mm in smaller framed autos. I can fire faster and more accurately than I can the exact same sub compact in 40. It allows me to get back on target much quicker. Don't get hung up on stopping power, it is a balance of adequate power, accuracy, comfort, and 99.9999999% of the shooting will be fun at the range. The more fun the gun is to shoot, the better you will be and you will be confident and competent.

See what you like and you can shoot and go from there. $500 is a good budget, there are plenty of guns to choose from in that price range.

If I was going out with the intentions to have to defend myself with a pistol, I would be carrying a magnum caliber revolver. If you are hung up on stopping power, get a 357 and practice with 38s occasionally check yourself with 357 mag loads. However, I have never seen a small 357 that had what I consider manageable recoil. I don't like shooting the air weights with standard 38 loads at the range. I can shoot it fine, but it is not fun to shoot. If I had one, it would be strictly a CC gun.
Quite frankly, I don't like shooting my keltec 9mm because the trigger pull is long and deliberate. It is not accurate enough to shoot varmits or sharp shoot at the range, but it is a good $200 gun that I don't mind leaving in the car when I have to.

#18 ·
OK, This is all well and good, and thank you all for your replies. Trust me, I know what it means to need to be confortable with the gun.

Can I sort of drag this thread back to the orrigianl question?

Anyone else have one? in either the 9 or the 40?

#21 ·
ScottFJ40 said:
:ibdocrecommendsthebersathunder.380:
I was thinking he would. BUt he hasn't yet. I like the .380 round for a backup, but not so much for a primary, that being said, if I am just running out for a quick minute, I will sometimes only slip the .380 in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.