Pirate 4x4 banner

79 ford switching to diesel

918 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  hammerman94 
#1 ·
warner t18 trans in a 79 ford want to take out the 351 m and put in a 6.9 thinking the bell from the 85 diesel is the same but thinking the ratio in the transmissions are different not to many folks out there going from gas to diesle its usually the other way around any body out there done it give me some info thanks

#3 ·
catatonic said:
never seen it done, should be nice after its done though

The T-19 behind the 6.9 has a 4.1 first gear. The pattern is the same as a T-18, the standard Ford "butterfly" pattern. Input shaft splines are the same. One area of uncertainty is the input shaft length. IDI (and maybe DI) diesels use a 1" spacer/adaptor between the block and bellhousing, so that may or may not mess with the input shaft length. I would check with AA on that.

#4 ·
There's no difference in input shaft legnth, along with that 1" thick adaptor, the flywheel sits back an equal legnth. The diesel T19 still has the same 6.5" input shaft stickout common to most other ford 4 speeds. The diesel trans may have the 5.11:1 first, which is followed with a pretty decent ratio spread for that engine. Maybe take a trip over to www.oilburners.net I think that there may be at least one member who has done that swap.

#6 ·
There are quite a few gas to diesel conversions being done now days. There is a site called cumminsconversions.com or something close to that. They have a lot of onfo on all kinds of diesel conversions.

#10 ·
mooktank said:
He's putting a 6.9 in it. Not a cummins. How the hell would fordcummins help? Anyways, I'm sure it will work out fine. Just get goin on it and you'll figure it out then.

It will help him to know that he is not alone. A lot of folks install diesels in place of their gas engine.

Read the first post:
"not to many folks out there going from gas to diesle its usually the other way around any body out there done it give me some info thanks"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.