Pirate 4x4 banner

79 bronco whats wrong?

963 views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  fordman1978 
#1 ·
i have a 1979 bronco with a 400m and a c6 trans. and when you start it up it sounds ok at first then after about 5-10 seconds it starts to make a really loud screaching sound. first i checked all tha accesories by taking the belts off and it still made the sound. ive asked a few other people if they know what it might be and i got 3 different answers. 1 said it is the oil pump, 1 said it was a bearing in the motor, and 1 said it could be something with the transmission. please tell me what you think. and if it is the oil pump or transmission i can do it easily since i already have spare oil pumps and a c6 from my 78. :confused:

#7 ·
masterbeavis said:
Does it do it in gear, or does it get worse as the revv's rise? How does your oil itself look? Take a piece of white paper, and wipe your dipstick on it. Hold it up to some good light, take a looksie.
yes it goes into gear. it happened when i was leaving my house going up my driveway and it started making the sound. the oil looks alright. that was one of the first few things i checked. and it was perfect on the fill level and looked normal. what should i look for in the oil though?

#9 ·
fordman1978 said:
yes it goes into gear. it happened when i was leaving my house going up my driveway and it started making the sound. the oil looks alright. that was one of the first few things i checked. and it was perfect on the fill level and looked normal. what should i look for in the oil though?
You are looking for things that dont come out of the bottle, like glitter (metal shavings)

Is it possible on a Furd to take the torque converter nuts off, push it back and run the motor without turning it? That could isolate the noise location

#11 ·
masterbeavis said:
You are looking for things that dont come out of the bottle, like glitter (metal shavings)

Is it possible on a Furd to take the torque converter nuts off, push it back and run the motor without turning it? That could isolate the noise location
umm i dont really think so.. not unless i unbolt the whole tranny, slide it back and do it. but then i still have to bolt it back up to put the starter on..

#12 ·
well i have been out working on the bronco all morning. and it started right up just like yesterday. but now its not making that same sound. now its just running kinda rough, overheating while idling (thats all ive done with it though) and steaming from somewhere towards the back.. it didnt do any of this a few weeks ago when i parked it because of the noise.. so any new ideas anybody?

#13 ·
how is the fan workin?is it intact or broke down and how does the radiator look itself and the fluid in it.I am thinking the fan is fried but one other place to look is the heater core or heater core lines maybe the fan is some how getting wet or just plain nasty.Has the heater been on at all during this?Climb under it when it starts leaking see where it drips down maybe a front pump seal but that shouldnt make it run roughly or once again check the oil and side of the block for coolant.

#14 ·
A friend of mine had a similar issue a few years back with his 78 Bronco and a 400M. The Bronco ran fine, then after it started to heat up, it sounded like a tea pot was about to explode! It turned out to be a cracked head. Got some heads from the salvage yard, had them rebuilt at a machine shop, and put them on. Issue resolved.

#15 ·
76HighBoy said:
A friend of mine had a similar issue a few years back with his 78 Bronco and a 400M. The Bronco ran fine, then after it started to heat up, it sounded like a tea pot was about to explode! It turned out to be a cracked head. Got some heads from the salvage yard, had them rebuilt at a machine shop, and put them on. Issue resolved.
thanks for the help. i was thinking it might be a head gasket after it started steaming. but i will check that out tomorrow. and luckily i already have 4 heads sitting in the shop from my old truck. and some haed gaskets also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.