Pirate 4x4 banner

No Problem cj5

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chipmcod 
#1 ·
I need instructions for putting a small block chevy into a 1983 cj5 that previously had an I4 in it and i was wondering if i got an old chevy with a good small block, manual tranny, and a transfer case if i could just drop it all into the jeep. I would like to know any info on this subject and i would like to know the problems that i am going to run into and how to solve these problems. I was wondering if someone could tell me a link to go to or just tell me the answer.
I have the axels, tub, and frame and everything else except the engine,tranny,and transfercase. sorry if there is already a thread on this i couldnt find one

#2 ·
Swap plans

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=312350
Try this... there are many links try google.
The big thing with cj5's is the short wheelbase, this is a harder vehicle to swap a v8 into compared to a longer wheelbase cj7 or yj. Although a v8 will fit almost anything out there, it is the rest of the drivetrain length to consider.
In my case I have a 350/ sm465 /205 combo. I had to move the rear axle back. before this i had a ford 302/c4/d20 combination that was a much easier swap.

#3 ·
The big thing with cj5's is the short wheelbase, this is a harder vehicle to swap a v8 into compared to a longer wheelbase cj7 or yj. Although a v8 will fit almost anything out there, it is the rest of the drivetrain length to consider.

Where did you come up with this BS? `72 and up CJ5`s came with 304 stock.:confused: Chipmcod, why don`t you just find an AMC 360 and drop that in? All you should need are a set of motor mounts that can be had off e-bay or fab you own. Then you won`t need any adapters and have a better motor to boot. :flipoff2:

#4 ·
I put a 350/350/300 combo in my cj5 with stock wheelbase. My rear driveshaft is only around 12" to 13" in length though. I welded in new motor mounts and built a new crossmember. Other than building a new driveshaft and a couple of other little things it wasnt that bad.

#6 ·
I've found that the small block Chev block is itself 2 inches shorter than a 304. This doesn't even take into consideration the gawd awful long timing chain cover and water pump that sticks out the front of the 304. So I'm betting the overall length of a 304 is about 4 or 5 inches longer than a SBC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.