Pirate 4x4 banner

1999 MJ 1 ton build

19K views 53 replies 30 participants last post by  BLACK RAM CTD 
#1 ·
Started with an 88 2wd 4banger MJ and a 99 rolled cherokee and was just planing on building a nice daily driver and weekend trail truck at first. Swaped everything from the XJ to the MJ and decided to go 1 tons. Here's a couple pictures of where I'm at so far.

swaped the 99 front clip, dash,engine and trans. bobed the bed 7", LED's. spring over in the rear with a bastard leaf pack

Swaping in a chevy C&C 14 bolt with disc brakes,5.13's and a detroit

See less See more
#12 ·
It was far from a direct bolt in bit wasn't that bad. I used the entire wiring from the 99 so hooking everything up was just a matter of pluging everything back in the right spot. The Steering column mount between the 88 and the 99 are totally diferent. Just basicly drilled all the spot welds removed the old stuff and welded in the new shit. I didn't get anty pictures during the dash swap

#17 ·
I was planing on going with one of those 9"/60's from Crossedup off road but haven't been able to get them to call me back with a quote so I may go with Diamond with a hi nine center chunk if I can dig up some spare cash. If not I'm just going to go with a good old dana HP 60 and cut it down to match the rear

#22 ·
looks nice
im getting ready to swap 96 cherokee running gear/dash into an 88 mj..
are you running the ac? if so how did that go...
i was planning on stripping mj down to the fire wall and just replacing everything so thats good ...it looks like thats what you did also...
second question was my mj currently is a 5speed peugot i think...i was going to swap the auto from the 96...does the shift assembly/center console bolt in or was modding needed? im basically trying to get an idea of how long it took to swap the dash so i can line up two spots in my buddies shop side by side...
i was also going to swap the doors for power windows and locks....

looks good though...im kind of excited now looking at your interior

#23 ·
I am running the AC. Everything just bolted in place. The opening on the firewall for heater & A/C box is exactly the same. My MJ was a manual trans also. The hole in the floor is the right size also. For the manual all they did was bolt a cover plate on there with a boot for the shifter. Once you remove that cover plate the auto shifter drops right in place and uses the same bolt holes. If you use the center e-brake your going to have to cut a hole for that and also for the shifter and kick down cable for the auto.

I believe the steering column mount may be diferent from the stick to the auto but I'm not sure since yours is a 96/88 swap it may be the same. Mine was quite a bit diferent with the 99/88 swap.

Took me about a week after work and weekends to gt it all done.

Would be interested in seeing some progress pictures when you get going

B

#29 ·
ill definately post some pics as i get going...i already have a trail rig so i am shooting for a daily driver on 33's...im going to have it repainted and some blingy wheels and im thinking mtr's....
eventuallly would like to leaf spring the front with waggy axles front and back...

#31 ·
I found a complete doner Rig. A guy down the road from me had te 99 XJ and it was crushed by a tree on the rear section from a bad storm we had and I picked it up for $400.00.

I have a buddy that's doing the same swap now and he got his stuff from the PnP. They sold him from the B-piller forward of a 97 but I believe he paid closer to $1000.00

#37 ·
Got the rear all tucked under and got the 39" rollers mounted up. Now time to start on the front suspension. Should have some more pictures up in the next couple weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.