Pirate 4x4 banner

Slammed 2wd Tow Rigs? Is anyone cool enough for this?

13K views 61 replies 36 participants last post by  RustoleumWhite 
#1 ·
Just wondering if there was anyone who was towing with a frame dragger? I did a search, nothin. So lets see some pics/ specs of whatcha got. If there's a similar thread, please post the link. Thanks.

I just bought a 2wd F350 dually crew, looking for some inspiration, cause mine will be on its nuts after EJS:) I'll post a build when it gets crackalakin...

#40 ·
Not really with the way the truck is currently set up I can run 80 series tires and still lay it out on the frame. The tires on it now are d rated not as heavy as my other truck but they work fine for what I'm doing with it. Like I said I'll be going to 19.5s soon and then I won't have to worry about load rating.

The color of the truck is just black primer. At some point I'll get some pin striping to finish it off.

-ben

#45 ·
I have had my hand in doing two 88 to 99 one ton chevys adn a few half ton chevys and they work really well. One we modified a k&p components 4 link setup and it worked well. One dually we just did a two link where we built the bars out of 2 inch square tube that we sleved internialy, adn added simple bushings on the end adn bolted it to the factory leaf mounts. Mounted three bellow bags off of a bus to the bars adn went to tow. All had minor notches, and barley got into the bed with the notching.

Agreed it was tougher to get around, but they still made it, and rode really nice. You jst need to plan it out really well, adn should have no issues.

Jeff

#47 ·
Umm to me a lowered truck isnt all that good while some may look better than others it kinda takes away from the utility aspect unless your a midget some thing with a overly raised truck raise it to high and how do you plan on getting things out of the bed that weight more than you. One plus of those two are fat chicks cant be around em one will scrape and the other well they cant lift there legs that high:D

#62 ·
I thinks thats the difference between all of us.

While slammed within 1" of the ground would exclude someone from many gravel parking lots, all the areas I wheel (localy) are easily accessible by a lowered 2wd as long as you don't go too nuts (or have bags to raise it up).

Now if I needed 4x4 to get to my local trailhead, or did a lot of snow/winter wheeling or snowmobiling were snow and 4x4 are required, I wouldn't have a slammed tow rig its as simple is picking the right rid for the right application.

Just like our trail rigs, you don't run a Kia suv to the Hammers (well you might, but you know what I mean), but you don't (typically) use a 2-seat buggy to run the family to the grocery store or as a daily driver. If a 2wd doesn't work for you, then don't get one, but don't belittle folks that can survive just fine with one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.