Pirate 4x4 banner

What is your opinion of the ultimate trailer?????

27K views 85 replies 60 participants last post by  silveradoreb 
#1 · (Edited)
I read up and found a lot of posts about trailers but what I wanna know is, if you were getting a trailer built (for a reasonable price of course:D) tow two one jeep/ toyota/ whatever and at times a fourwheele, what would it be like?

I have the truck (02' Dodge Cummins HO 6 speed 4x4) and now its time for the trailer...

Im most likely gonna get one built custom so any reasonable features are open...

Keep in mind the most Ill be towing (1 rig, 1 quad as you call them) and that I want saftey and stability!

NOT ENCLOSED though.

Muchos Gracias!

(FLAME ON!:D:D:D)

#2 ·
A guy showed up to our last event with a 5th wheel travel trailer that was triple axle and the back opened up and pulled his Early Bronco out! It was the Shit! Said by the time he sold the camper and regular car trailer it wasn't much more. Not really fancy inside. but truck stays clean and lots of tool storage.

The pick up was free for his wife to drive around as well after they set up camp.

#5 ·
Chet said:
oh hehe Def. look for something a little heavier than you think you will need. Never fails you buy a 7000lb. traile then you by a 9000 lb. full size for parts or something!:D
Good thinking Chet..:D

I wasent saying I wanted this exact trailer but a design LIKE it is what I had in minds. I like the fact that it sits low to the ground, removable fenders, dual axles, etc...

Mainly what Im trying to figure out is what kinds of features are useful and must haves....

thanks for the input... need more:D:D:D

#8 ·
I just picked up a 18x7 dovetail. It's plenty large enough to fit my heep and a couple of quads on it. Mines got a double frame on it, wieghs in at 1800#'s. It only has brakes on 1 axle, but it stops suprisingly well when it's fully loaded. Oh yeah, as long as my junk isn't broken I drive on and off without ramps.

Easy

#10 ·
EasyXJ said:
I just picked up a 18x7 dovetail. It's plenty large enough to fit my heep and a couple of quads on it. Mines got a double frame on it, wieghs in at 1800#'s. It only has brakes on 1 axle, but it stops suprisingly well when it's fully loaded. Oh yeah, as long as my junk isn't broken I drive on and off without ramps.

Easy
How much did that cost ya? Was it new? Custom built?

Muchos Gracias!

#11 ·
Get a 24' gooseneck. I say that long for a reason... You say you only haul one rig, and maybe a fourwheeler. With a 24, you could possibly fit two rigs... Later on down the road, you may find that you want a camper of some sort... You will have plenty of room for a truck camper on the front of the gooseneck. Instant rig hauler with living quarters...

#13 ·
well i am building two in the next 2 months. my main trailer will be a 18' dove tail car hauler. the bed will be as wide as the tires, as in 8'. it will be sitting on 6 lug 5200 # axles with brakes. 2 5/16 bull dog hitch on the front with a little longer neck than most to bolt on a onan generator. it will have a 7k# bull dog brand jack with the drop down feature. riding on a set of 265/75/16 michilin[load range E] tires. the fenders will be able to be driven over with no problems. the other will be just like it except 24/26' bed and 8 lug 7k# axles. both will be bumper pull because i have a cab over tpye slide in camper on my dodge duallly. mike

#14 ·
Keep in mind when trailer weight is listed that does not include the weight of the trailer its self so a 7000lb trailer would really only be able to carry 5000 assuming that it weighs 2000.
For me I would want a flat deck goosneck type trailer. If you made the upper deck in such a way that you could park the quad up there and you Jeep/Toy/whatever on the deck you would be able to make the trailer shorter than having them both on the same deck.

#15 ·
Well if you go custom get the 5th wheel type or goose, its much easier on the vehicle and you can turn tighter...otherwise get it with a flat top( no angle iron on the side) and all metal. Don't get a dove tail unless you drive on the streets as I've dragged my trailer alot over bumpy roads getting to the trail head and its not good for the trailer...other then that make sure its painted everywhere and enjoy....

#18 ·
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but you would rather have a gooseneck if possible because it will distribute the load closer to the center of the tow rig. (even better for a 1/2 ton) So given the choice gooseneck is the way to go if you don't mind the bed of the truck being completely useless. :D

#20 ·
Danger Ranger said:
just a few words of advice, if your trailer ways more than your tow rig... you're in for a fun ride :eek: :nuke:
uh, no. i have towed with a 99 Suburban 2500 that weighs in at about 6000lbs dry, with me, my dad, and our gear in it it was probably pushing 7000. we towed a range rover that weighs about 5000lbs dry on a big all steel trailer that weighs 2000lbs. the range rover was PACKED full of shit and probably weighed in at about 6000lbs.

and we were flyin down the highway at 80, not a hint of trailer sway and it braked good too!

so please, have some experience before you talk out your ass lol :beer:

#21 ·
My bud has a dove tail trailer very close to the one with the Chevelle on it. His is open down the center is the big difference. He tows hot rods so the low deck hight is a big plus when loading his Low rider 350 powered bug catcher equipped 78 Luv down to the turkey rod run or over to Lineville AL. The second advantage is a lower GC on the trailler so it does tend to pull better.
Here is the issue with a trailer like that for an off roader. Dragging the rear on everything. Think about some of the places here in the SE your going to and what the parking areas look like. That low trailer probably will become and anchor pulling into the Econo Lodge in Murphy as well as the parking lot on the Murphy side of Tellico. Loading a 4x4 onto a trailer with a flat deck is not a big deal. Approach angle is not going to be an issue. If it's just for the 4x4 I would look for a trailer with a little higher deck even though it's going to raise the CG.

#22 ·
Ideally I would want one like Matt posted, but I wouldn't want the dovetail. Get something about 26-28 feet long. That way you could do two vehicles if neccessary, or even put a pop-up trailer behind your trail rig and strap them both to the trailer. Then you'd be all set for your long-distance wheelin' trips. It would be a little long for day to day use, but with the gooseneck you'd get better turning and weight distribution. Oh, and go with two 7500 or 10k axles.

#24 ·
well i use a 16ft flatbed with a dove tail. it works great but what i would also like to have is a goose neck built like some of the larger horse trailers that have living quarters in the front end of the trailer. i see these around here and i'd love to have one built only leave an uncovered flatbed on the back where the horses normally ride. this way i could have a camper/jeep hauler all in one. i have never seen on set up like htis but i know it could be done. if i wan't so cheap i'd go have one built.

#25 · (Edited)
MattS said:
So given the choice gooseneck is the way to go if you don't mind the bed of the truck being completely useless. :D

Bullshit. www.turnoverball.com

EDIT: Unless you meant not being able to load stuff in the bed when hooked up... But even then, with truck boxes that mount below the bedrails and other things that can be loaded below the gooseneck itself, it still isn't much of a problem... You are towing a trailer... It's not like you won't have any place to put shit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.