Pirate 4x4 banner

What is your opinion of the ultimate trailer?????

27K views 85 replies 60 participants last post by  silveradoreb 
#1 · (Edited)
I read up and found a lot of posts about trailers but what I wanna know is, if you were getting a trailer built (for a reasonable price of course:D) tow two one jeep/ toyota/ whatever and at times a fourwheele, what would it be like?

I have the truck (02' Dodge Cummins HO 6 speed 4x4) and now its time for the trailer...

Im most likely gonna get one built custom so any reasonable features are open...

Keep in mind the most Ill be towing (1 rig, 1 quad as you call them) and that I want saftey and stability!

NOT ENCLOSED though.

Muchos Gracias!

(FLAME ON!:D:D:D)

#28 ·
I built one 4 years ago and am building a second to replace it now. I made a few mistakes on the first one, mainly I overbuilt it. 6000# leaf sprung drop down axles dual brakes 16' + 4' dovetail, diamondplate deck and ramps. The trailer weighed in at 2800#. The dove tail would drag everywhere and the darn thing pulled like a tank. I hauled a 14000# forklift and the springs were still 2" from bottoming out.

What I'm building now is 16' flat bed no dovetail, open center, wood deck 5000# drop down torsion bar axles, dual brakes, 8' 4" wide deck with a 42" wide open center probably covered with expanded metal.

Some considerations.

**The wood deck is nice because it's much quieter then the diamond plate. Try dragging a chain across a diamond plate deck at 10:00pm in a campground. :eek: The wood is stiffer than the diamond plate. Take a good look at a used diamond plate deck trailer they are usually bowed in in several spots where something heavy was loaded in an unsupported spot.

**Completely sealed wiring with weatherpack connectors going to sealed LED lights that are fully protected top, bottom, sides and rear. How many times have you lent your trailer out and it comes back with 1 or no tail lights? I completely replaced the wiring in the first trailer after 4 years. I used that crappy 4 wire spool stuff without any protection the first time. This time I ran everything in used air line inside the trailer frame. It took a long time to run but it should last forever. I also left an extra foot at the tail lights and at the tongue for future "modifications".

**Adjustable height tongue. I'm using a bulldog 2 5/16" ball 3 position tongue. It can adjust about 6". Makes it much easier to match the trailer to different vehicles.

**Removable fenders strong enough to stand on in the center with grip material on it. I used the skate board stuff.

**Trailer tires instead of passenger car tires rated for the trailer capacity

**Provision for winch mount on trailer tongue for those times when your buddies rig is inop.

**Permanently mounted spare. I'm using the crank up type mount from an '88-98 Chevy truck.

**Built in tie down rings at 8 locations on the deck and stake pockets at 12 locations (4 on a side, 2 front, 2 rear) inside the outside frame rail.

**Tool/storage container. I'm still working on this. I'm probably going with a tongue box, but I'd like to stick a couple 4-6" PVC tubes underneath for spare parts. I'm debating about a couple of 8" underdeck storage boxes instead of the PVC tubes. I'll have to see what kind of room is left over when I'm done.

My goal is a finished weight at ~1700# without tools or spare parts on it. I've got the frame done with the axles mounted, I still need to add material to mount the wood decking to, stake pockets, winch mount, wiring and fenders. So far I have approximately 35 hrs in the fabrication and 12-14 hours in parts/material acquisition. I anticipate another 30-40 hrs of fab/assembly left and 20 hrs for paint, stain and final assembly. Total cost using new parts is approximately $1300. A similar trailer with crappy wiring, no spare, no tie downs and fixed fenders sells for $1750. Not a big savings for the amount of work.

#29 ·
PW said:
this is the one i wanna get

Was looking at gooseneck, but right now i only have a half ton, and woudl like a bigger truck before getting a gooseneck.. but heck, they have this same trailer in gooseneck too!!
Not to rain on your parade but Big Tex trailers are JUNK! I've had two of them in the past and will never own one again. Notice how the rails that form the tongue are also the side rails? BAD idea. You want a separate side rail with the tongue rails underneath it. Look for a trailer with box tubing instead of channel for the main rails if possible. The crossmember rails on Big Tex are way undersized also. Go compare an HH or a PJ to Big Tex and you'll see the difference.

My single place trailer is a 18' PJ with the last two feet as a dovetail. My Jeep doesn't need the dovetail, but I also haul a '68 Camaro to the dragstrip on it. For two rigs I have a 24' gooseneck with a 4' dovetail. This dovetail comes in handy when loading my tractor with implements attached to the rear. Two CJ's fit nicely on this trailer.

#30 · (Edited)
I just picked up my new 18.5 foot, 80 " wide, dual 7,000# axles, brakes on both, full size hubs and tires (doubles as spares for the Mother ship) dove tail trailer. Full frame, with the A frame at the front doubled up under the main frame. 2x6 deck with supports under it at every 8 inches. decking does not even flex with the bronco moving over it. It aint the best trailer I've ever seen, but it's the best one I've ever owned.

The bronco can drive in between the fenders with,, well with no room to spare, but it fits. I plan on building a small box in the V at the front for my tie down equipment, and a larger removable box in the front of the dack for general equipment.

so far it's moved a 3800# tool box for a friend, and a Cj5 that trashed a rear axle bearing on last weeks run.....Next weekend it will haul the Bronco for a few hundred miles to the trail head, than it's 3,000 mi to our new home...

#33 ·
high5 said:
what i would also like to have is a goose neck built like some of the larger horse trailers that have living quarters in the front end of the trailer. i see these around here and i'd love to have one built only leave an uncovered flatbed on the back where the horses normally ride. this way i could have a camper/jeep hauler all in one. i have never seen on set up like htis but i know it could be done. if i wan't so cheap i'd go have one built.
A local trailer dealer sells these for $20-$30,000. I have looked at them but I worry that there is not enough tounge weight when you load a jeep into it. They said they have sold them for people with as large of vehicles as XJs.

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/

#35 ·
rockedtj said:

A local trailer dealer sells these for $20-$30,000.

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/

HOLY FAWK!!!

Just as a reference point... Does anyone else think that´s a relatively significant chunk of change to be spending on a fawking trailer?!?!?

I know that this hobby/sport is expensive by nature, but a guy with this set-up gonna have over 100 grand whipping down the Interstate, what between the tow rig, trailer and lest we forget the details, the fawking trail rig...:p

Kiyriste All Mighty, it´d be cheaper to play fawkin´ golf!!! :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2: :D

:beer: :beer:

#36 ·
billj said:

HOLY FAWK!!!

Just as a reference point... Does anyone else think that´s a relatively significant chunk of change to be spending on a fawking trailer?!?!?

I know that this hobby/sport is expensive by nature, but a guy with this set-up gonna have over 100 grand whipping down the Interstate, what between the tow rig, trailer and lest we forget the details, the fawking trail rig...:p

Kiyriste All Mighty, it´d be cheaper to play fawkin´ golf!!! :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2: :D

But if you already have a truck, it is cheaper than a motor home. And the truck does not sit all the time gathering dust. A motor home only gets used a few thousand miles a year. I agree though, way to much money for me!

#37 ·
Hmmm, lots to think about. Thanks for the good input everyone!

If ya got prices on your shiat, post them up. Id like to get a feel for the market if you will....

Muchos Gracias!

#38 ·
Stay far far away from a 5th wheel set up. 5th wheels have NO side to side articulation. A gooseneck trailer about 30 foot would be nice for me. 10 foot for a cabover camper up front, and 20 foot for the rig.

#40 ·
Just another thought, look at a heavy truck trader magazine, I did a few weeks ago and was surprised at how cheep you can pick up an over the road "big rig" type truck. Granted many had 200-250k but these things are good for lots of miles and are fully rebuildable. aywhre from 5k up depending on engine/driveline and comfort stuff. A cheep used flat bed trailer went for 2k and up. Granted this setup is not for everyone, i was just surprised at the costs. After dumping over 30k on a f250 tow rig. I think a full on 18 wheeler set up would be the bomb....

just thinking ahead for the next upgrade....

-yag

#42 ·
billj said:

HOLY FAWK!!!

'86 GMC 1 ton dually 4X4 crew-cab - $8000 (at the time - used)
'95 Lance 12' cabover camper - $5000 (at the time - used)
18' Big Tex trailer $1000 (used)
'92 Wrangler - $I don't even want to know

#43 ·
9-Volt said:

uh, no. i have towed with a 99 Suburban 2500 that weighs in at about 6000lbs dry, with me, my dad, and our gear in it it was probably pushing 7000. we towed a range rover that weighs about 5000lbs dry on a big all steel trailer that weighs 2000lbs. the range rover was PACKED full of shit and probably weighed in at about 6000lbs.

and we were flyin down the highway at 80, not a hint of trailer sway and it braked good too!

so please, have some experience before you talk out your ass lol :beer:
Fuck You.

I have plenty of expierence towing my own trailer! and I've witnessed my friends half ton 4x4 chevy go sideways on the friggin freeway only hauling a yota :eek: :eek:

I see/hear people left and right wanting to tow with half tons, but just because it's a fullsize doesn't mean it is safe to tow with. They lack the braking power and they don't have the suspension to hold that sort of load which takes the weight of the front end and makes the truck even more unsafe. Sure you can add trailer brakes and you should. But shit happens as we all know and what happens if you loose the trailer brakes for some reason while you're coming down ice house in your half ton (probably with an automatic) towing a big ass gooseneck trailer with a wheeler on it? Oh it'll make it to the bottom for sure... of the canyon.

A lot of weight on the highway versus up and down the mountains are two different situations.

#44 ·
Danger Ranger said:

Fuck You.

I have plenty of expierence towing my own trailer! and I've witnessed my friends half ton 4x4 chevy go sideways on the friggin freeway only hauling a yota :eek: :eek:

A lot of weight on the highway versus up and down the mountains are two different situations.
here here. i've seen too many wrecks caused by stupid poeple w/o enought rig.

#45 ·
If your running over 80 MPH with over 12,000 pounds of of 1/2 ton rig your just one hell of a wreck looking for a good place to occur. Stopping distance increases exponentially with speed and at that weight you ain't stoppin til you get to the front of the wreck. Also when your towed load weight exceeds your tow rig weight then you have all the makings of a jack knife if you try to stop hard and you not lined up straight. Basic physics. That's why semis jack knife.
Can't wait to see the post-accident pics you post.

#46 ·
ive got a 18 ft dove tail.. a buddy of mine has a toatl allumian (sp)
goose neck 4 car hauler.. that i can use at any time..

yes he hauls cars all over the us.. hes got 3 trailers like this one..
and there great..
another buddy has a early modle dove tail roll back style 1 ton..

but the ult trailer would have to be a dove tail goose neck 30 foot tri axle.....

ok so it dont hurt to dreamm..

#47 ·
along the horse trailer thread I've always thought it would be pretty cool to build a trailer off of an older open horse trailer (attached photo) and cut out the top of the rear to fit in a rig and then cover about 10' of the front with wood and alluminum. These can be found for very cheap and are nearly all goosenecks. I couldn't find a really good picture but a combination of the two attached. In Tx. these trailers can be found for less than a grand (700-900). Would take a little work but I think it would be a cheap alternative if you have access to a welder and torch. It would definately look different and you have to added side protection so when you decide to take your trailer off-road the built in exocage will protect your rigs.

-ben

Attachments

#49 ·
Panzer said:
If your running over 80 MPH with over 12,000 pounds of of 1/2 ton rig your just one hell of a wreck looking for a good place to occur. Stopping distance increases exponentially with speed and at that weight you ain't stoppin til you get to the front of the wreck. Also when your towed load weight exceeds your tow rig weight then you have all the makings of a jack knife if you try to stop hard and you not lined up straight. Basic physics. That's why semis jack knife.
Can't wait to see the post-accident pics you post.
its a 3/4 ton dipshit.

suburban 2500

454, 4L80E, FF14 bolt rear :rolleyes:

its a 3/4 ton pickup with more room inside.

#51 ·
lt1yj said:

**The wood deck is nice because it's much quieter then the diamond plate. Try dragging a chain across a diamond plate deck at 10:00pm in a campground. :eek: The wood is stiffer than the diamond plate. Take a good look at a used diamond plate deck trailer they are usually bowed in in several spots where something heavy was loaded in an unsupported spot.

One other plus for wood is that it doesn't get as hot. Ever tried laying down on a metal trailer to attach your straps to your rigs axles on a 100 degree day? Count yourself lucky if you walked away with only minor burns and a few layers of skin missing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.