Pirate 4x4 banner

Help me out

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  TJP 
#1 ·
Okay. Before you say it I have searched (In both NAXJA and by skimming Pirate) and what I have found is a lot of opinions and install tech but no hard facts.

So I just got some chevy flattop knuckles and highg steer arms off ebay that im using with my D44/9in conversion. The seller has the arms available for heim joints or TRE. What *EXACTLY* are the benefits a disadvantages of both when used in a high steer setup. Keep in mind this is also a DD. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

#6 ·
I don't think it makes much difference......depending on the design, and if you're going to be in dry conditions all the time or mud. You can't go wrong with TRE's, but the heim joints won't get sloppy if you buy good ones and it's easier to fab if you're making your own stuff. Mine is all heim joints other than at the pitman arm, and that joint has worn out regularly, I finally put a slight bend in the drag link so the TRE didn't get overextended and now it's lasting OK....but I still check it regularly.

I've never heard a convincing argument for using TRE's, though it's a good idea, and heim joints are used on race cars and offroad race trucks, so nothing wrong with them, either.

#7 ·
I finally put a slight bend in the drag link so the TRE didn't get overextended and now it's lasting OK....but I still check it regularly.QUOTE]

I think I'm going to have the same problem.With 6" of lift a D44 with flattops,highsteer and TRE's I max the one at the pitman arm with the passenger side at full droop.

OlyWa

#9 ·
On the pitman arm side use a drag link end. Yes there is a difference. A TRE only allows 15 deg of movement and Draglink end allows 40 deg. I can get the part numbers if you like.

#12 ·
Also, to avoid having to ream the pitman arm to a different taper, you can get a TRE that has the 7/8" 18 thread (used on the 1 ton TRE's) with the smaller stock Jeep taper, from TeraFlex. That gives you a larger TRE with a lot of movement angle without having to remove and taper the pitman arm. Anyplace that carries Tera stuff can get them. It also can make it easier if you're building steering links that are 7/8 18 thread for the larger TRE's. The stock XJ TRE thread at the pitman arm is 20mm 1.5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.