Pirate 4x4 banner

Need DMV help.....Weight Fees

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  crashnzuk 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 1970 chevy 2wd half ton truck that I converted to 4x4. It has an $80 weight fee on it that I would like to get taken off. Is there a form or something I can fill out to get that taken off. Its a trail only truck and not driving more then a few blocks on the road. Its trailed everywhere. I dont want to green sticker it. Its insured. I just dont want to pay $80 every year for something that sits in my garage 50 weeks of the year. If I get it reweight I have a feeling that it would weight more then what they show now which would bit me in the arse. You know something about 60/14bff/454/465/203/205, those things aint lite.

#3 ·
That would be kinda hard.

#4 ·
That would be kinda hard.
No it would be kinda easy.

All the top requirements are that its permanant and prevents you from hauling a load. Weld 4 tabs on your bars and a piece of hard plastic/sheetmetal then take it to your DMV. If you have it off and are caught hauling then its a big fine. But if you dont, then dont worry about it. It just has to cover the bed..think Tonaue(sp?) cover.

#5 ·
There is a rear mounted radiator and fuel cell. There is no room to carry anything but a cooler and spare drive shafts.

#7 ·
I have the same problem. I have a full size van I use to haul my dirtbikes in when I go and ride. I also sleep in the back when it rains (down by the river, ha ha). The registration is commercial with wieght fees and the price is certainly affected. I wish I could get rid of the commercial plates???

I was told "can't do it". Sounds like I just need to keep trying?

JW

#9 ·
It's an E-350. Not sure of the weight but it is sort of a van conversion (lite).

If you found something to reference it would be greatly appreciated.

JW

#10 ·
If You Go To Re Weigh It, Make Sure It Is As Empty As Can Be. So Much As A Full Gas Tank Can Affect The Amount You Pay.:d

#11 ·
I never had to weight my vehicle to begin with?

#12 ·
From the research I did before posting this they use the manufacturers weight of the vehicle that is on the pink slip.

#13 · (Edited)
Didnt See The Pic Before Posting, You Only Have To Weigh The Truck If It Has Been Altered. You should not have commercial plates if you are using it for personnel use. If it is owned by a business it maybe some trouble.

#14 ·
I think it would be cost prohibitive to switch over. The DMV will issue you new plates which will have 3 letters on it (non commercial) instead of one (commercial). A CHP can easily tell if your rig is commercial or not. If you do not have a camper shell on it, you are not allowed to haul anything- that includes camping gear.

A friend of mine got busted for it. Total bs.

#17 ·
Is it registered on the truck's VIN or the '79 Jimmy(Blazer frame, correct?) VIN? If it's the Jimmy VIN why was it ever registered Commercial?

There was a very good thread about weight fees within the last year or so - unfortunately, I didn't book mark it but I did post in it so that may help with search.

The bolted on shell WILL NOT get you out of weight fees unless the DMV employee is an idiot and even then a sharp officer could cite you for improper registration.

There is a state level politician from Bakersfield sponsoring a bill to eliminate weight fee/commercial reg on personal owned pick-ups.

Brian

#18 ·
even if it is registered as a pickup, you should be able to go over to dmv, tell them you've covered the bed, and re-register it as an "rv", that will drop the weight fees off the bill, and get you standard plates, the downside is that you will have to cover the bed with at least a tonneau cover at all times.

#19 ·
Definition of a Pick Up Truck:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc471.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/lad/pdfs/pktrucks/pk_isor.pdf

If the truck is exempted by the definitions above, or you decide you will never carry anything in the back of the truck, you can fill out this "Statement of Facts" and go into DMV to have your registration/title changed.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg256.pdf

I'm not sure what fees may be involved or if you have to take it somewhere else to have it inspected.

#20 ·
not sure if DMV must inspect the vehicle for the change, they just might.

you want to ask for change of class from pickup truck, to Pickup-mounted.

mounted as in camper shell, or cabover mounted to truck. you'll get regular
car-class license plates, and won't be held to the weight fee anymore..

of course caught driving the truck on-road at any time without have the
"mounted" camper on it will net you a ticket from CHP...... you'll then have to
go back to DMV and change back to commercial.. and pay a fine. been there, had it happen to me.... :)

although 99% of of all LEO's won't key in on it, only a sharp CHP with a need
to write you up usually will stop you......

--Sherpa

I don't think just a tonneau cover will work for this..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.