Pirate 4x4 banner

full size thru suprise canyon?(newbie)

32K views 131 replies 35 participants last post by  OTR 
#1 · (Edited)
has anyone take a full size truck or suv up surprise cayon? I want to take my 74 jimmy on the trails near gohler wash and I'm not sure how much body damage I'll come back with or if I'll even fit. I went out the to check it out and the only rigs I saw were jeeps and a few yotas. I have a 4inch super lift with 35's, I'm installing a ord shackle flip soon, no lockers or limited slip. what do you think?:smokin:

#90 ·
Found what I was looking for,

Rogers Pass

El. 7,141

Wm Manley & Jn Rogers crossed this pass on the way to

Get supplies for 49ers trapped in Death Valley. Later,

As they led the Bennet & Arcane families to safety, they

Came here to view the land ahead, looking back, one

Said, “Goodbye Death Valley!” The date was Feb. 14,

1850. It is believed they crossed the Panamints via

Butte Valley & Redlands Cy. They crossed the Slate via

Fish & Isham Cy’s, then to Providence Spring at Great

Falls in the Argus Range. Up Wilson Cy & across the

Valley to Indian Wells Spring on the way to a Spanish

Ranch near Newhall. All this party survived. Erected

Jan ’92 ET Conf. Trona Chapter.

#98 ·
Found what I was looking for,

Rogers Pass

El. 7,141
My maps show it as Manly Pass. My first time up the alluvial fan a coupla years ago the trail was really faint and mainly single track for a motorcycle. Last fall there were jeep width tracks.

This is looking back up to the pass:

This is looking down into fish canyon:

Here is the marker down in the canyon:

All in all it's an easy route for a stock jeep. There are a few tough climbs for a loaded down bike.

#91 ·
As I recall Fish is a simple trail that dead ends right now. We have taken stock SUVs up the current trail. Also recall some nice meat eating flies where we stopped for lunch. :eek:

You drive past Isham to get to Fish if you come from the Trona side. I have not done it, but the road will continue down towards Goler Wash Rd..

While playing around on Google Maps I noticed that Goler Wash rd turns onto Coyote Canyon rd and if you follow this road it just about connects back over to Panamint Valley above the mining operation near Ballarat. Is this open? Anyone been back there? Worth checking out?

Here is a map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...17.179232&spn=0.021683,0.041842&t=h&z=15&om=1

-Wayne

#92 ·
Very interesting, thanks Jeff and Wayne. i am always eager to learn more DV and PV history. i am looking at my map library and can't find Fish cyn yet. i have some old maps but they don't cover the slate range too well. i suspect it is south of the limestone quarry which is on the east side of the trona-wildrose road near the base of the pass "slate range". there are some canyons between the quarry and valley wells on my 1970 AAA map but un-named. then it shows 4 more canyons south of valley wells named :

1. copper queen cyn
2. tank cyn
3. new york cyn
4. layton cyn

great stuff. i can't wait to get back there and do some more exploring. i need to buy a close to stock jeep for that. my crawler is not street legal anymore:shaking:

#94 · (Edited)
I'll have to check a map but how to find the Fish Canyon Trail:

Going North out of Trona, pass the airport, pass the Valley Wells Road. The next right turn has a dark sign that I think advertises the gravel pit. Take that right; follow it into the foothills; about a quarter mile before the gravel pit, there is a well traveled road on the left; take that. This road wanders a bit, watch for rock carins, then ends up on a ridge that leads up and over the small range. You get good views of the south Panamint Valley from here. As the ridge winds down, there will be a Historical marker on the left; just about that time, you will be dropping into a wash. Turn left up into the wash. This is Fish Canyon. It will dead end in 1/2 mile (?) with another Historical Marker.

Follow the wash downhill (past where you turned into it) and it will follow a trail down an alluvial fan and dump you at the entrance to Golar Wash.

edit> The road to Fish Canyon is not a real canyon but more of a pass road. And it is North of Valley Wells.

#95 ·
I found if via the topozone.com maps:

From Valley Wells, look north/east, you will see the Ophir Mine and Bundy Canyon. Keep going north, you will next see Goff Canyon. The next canyon north and on the east side of the range is Fish Canyon.

#99 ·
Any of you guys ever go out to defense mine still? I went on a trip a few years ago with krusty and a few other people and was super stoked(I was the kid in the stock white samurai). Needless to say I have another sammi now and want to start going on wheelin trips more. Sorry about hijacking the thread, just trying to get in the mix.
Brian

#100 ·
Brian, a couple weekends back, we (3 rigs) made a trip thru the Panamints and on over into Death Valley--- two days and a camp-over---

most of the 'classic trails' and many stops to just poke around !!!!

We'll have to hook up again !! That trip was fun !!!!

#104 ·
open the daymn gate and let me in---------- and i'll drive it.

(carrying repair/maintenance supplies)(and trash out)

#107 ·
Short answer: It's about 7-8 miles with about 3000-3500 foot elevation gain.

Long answer: This last weekend I stopped by in Ballerat on my way to Panamint Springs. I was talking to a bunch of campers who all had their Rinos and Banchies parked out in front of the general store. Rocky and George were holding court as usual. One of the campers was talking about hiking up to Panamint City with her friends. I asked her how many nites they were going to stay. She looked at me kinda funny and said they were going up and back the same day. I turned to Rocky and asked if someone could make it to Panamint City and back in a day and in his Billy Bob Thorton from Sling Blade voice he answered, "Hum um, you might be able to...but you wouldn't want to"
Classic!

#108 · (Edited)
about 7 miles above the falls--- which take about 3/8 mile----
and a total of @5,000 feet elevation change from the gate to the smokestack.

it has been driven in and out in a day--- but that was the past---
when we get the gate open---- 1 to 1 1/2 days in----- hour and a half out !

usta figure a day in, maintenance/repairs-sleep over, and a easy day out and home.

of course now, i guess i'll have to drill more holes in the canyon walls----- yeah, right !

#111 ·
I'm still trying to find out the name of this canyon and know how long it takes to get back to charlie mansons cabin. its not the last chance cayon I went on that one in my stock 02 ram 1500. that tunnel is really cool. make sure you have a flashlight

#117 ·
the reason I ask about the time is becasue I went up there a few yrs ago and didnt want to take my truck with dealer plates on it up the canyon so I tried to walk up the canyon. I never made it to barkers rachch because it started getting dark so I walked back.
I'm not ragging on you but if you ask a question with a little detail, we can actually answer it.

How long does it take to get to San Francisco? - 8 hours from LA

Oh, I meant if I walked, and I'm starting from San Jose. - Uhhh, okay :confused:

Are you driving or walking? When you ask how long, where are you starting from? If you answer "Where I parked my truck." I won't be back to answer.

Seriously, if the canyon isn't washed out, any truck will make it. I've been there where I didn't have to use 4wd, I've also been there where I've had to pick lines and take a couple of tries on a couple of steps in the canyon. There can always be the risk of some desert pin stripping though.

#115 ·
the reason I ask about the time is becasue I went up there a few yrs ago and didnt want to take my truck with dealer plates on it up the canyon so I tried to walk up the canyon. I never made it to barkers rachch because it started getting dark so I walked back.

#118 ·
I do want to do more exploring out there, barkers ranch is just on top of the list. Thanks for the info.

lttlbddy:I could tell you how much i weight, the rate of speed I walk/or drive and what color pants I'm wearing too, but its not going to be much more acurate. I have been to the mouth of the canyon, so I know how long it takes to get to that point. I wanted to drive it, but didn't want to bc of the truck I was in( so yeah I will be driving). I'm not ragging on you either, but there is info on here so you can get an idea of what I'm asking.

I guess I'll just have to find out how long it takes on my own

#119 ·
It's about a 30-40 minute drive from the point that you turn left IF you are about 180 pounds and IF you are wearing tan shorts, driving at a comfortable 10-15 mph IF you are in a small group (2-3) vehicles and IF you don't stop and IF the road conditions are "no major washouts" lately.

#122 ·
Still anxiously awaiting the reopening of Surprise Canyon, last time I was up it was 2 weeks prior to the closure.
IIRC , there was Andy,Lisa, Rob, Phil, Curtis, my wife and I.Those that where there know who I'm talking about. Good times. I will look for the pics and get them posted. It was a great trip up and back in 1 day. Hung out at Pananmint city for a few hours, had lunch, then wheeled out. :smokin:

#124 ·
I know a guy who brought his FS dodge wih a 10 foot cabover over Mengel pass and down Goler wash. He'll never do it again, but he made it. HAHA.

Somebody posted 30 minutes from Ballarat to Barker.:confused::confused: :flipoff2:
That'll be the day! Maybe in a Trophy Truck!

#127 ·
'mansons' cabin burned down---- (Barker ranch)-- burned @ the 1-5th of this month-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.