Pirate 4x4 banner

junkyard 9 " disc brake conversion

79K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  hasteranger 
#1 ·
anyone got any good tips or a parts list for a junkyard disc brake swap for a ford 9 inch from a 78 bronco? trying to spend as little money as possible. looking to use a caliper that has the ebrake built into it.

#35 ·
I'm out of town on business right now so no pics available.

The Sidekick rotor is actually bigger than the Subie rotor those calipers were on. Kick wheels are 15", the Subie wheels were 13". I can tell you the pads sit perfect on the rotor.

Sean :cool:

#38 · (Edited)
Oops I deleted a whole bunch of pics from photobuck, including those above. Damn newbs. :D edit: fixed

I'm not sure what you mean "Making this way to hard" As soon as I get some muck in my rear drums my rear brakes don't work....at all. So I searched around a little and found a cheap disc brake swap, including E-BRAKE that someone has done and said it worked. I have to have an e-brake for inspection and this seemed to be the cheapest and easiest way to git r done.

But I ran into a snag and I am now trying to figure it out.

#39 · (Edited)
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419527&highlight=

read my little ditty here.

apply it to a 9 inch. its all the same parts, except go get a ford bronco/f150 rotor instead of a jeep rotor :laughing:

part numbers and everything are there.
i would use ruffstuffspecialties (gravelmaker here on the board) weld on caliper brackets. they are way more beef than the thin AA brackets.

[/end thread]

#51 ·
So you are saying to use these parts-

rotors:
Stock ford 150/bronco

calipers:
part number c135, c134. 9.99 apeice w/ core of 11 dollars
brake lines:
77227, you need 2. 11.99 each
you will need the banjo bolt that attatches the brake line to caliper... about 6 bucks.

brake bolts (pins):
h5004, you need 2 packages. 11.99 each

hard brake lines, approx 6 bucks for both
brake fluid. 5.00

and these brackets-

#42 ·
so use a caddilac ebrake caliper... even though they are expensive and suck at holding.

get a driveline brake. that way when in 4wd, all 4 wheels are locked, not just the rear.

And its not a jeep rotor :confused:

:shaking::shaking: never mind. your on your own.

#43 ·
Sorry I guess you were referring to your jeep post and not the suki rotors, my bad.

But whatever dude, your not following the original post. Some of us have to have an e-brake setup on our trucks, you keep referring to a non e-brake setup. Of course a driveline brake is the shit but that won't satisfy the coppers around here. I need to be able to drive it on the street as well.

#46 ·
For rotors use 1995 dodge ram 1500 4x4 front rotors. On my calipers i use
k3500 calipers and put them at 12 O-clock but i have to pull them off and put piece of wood between the pads when i bleed the brakes. If i did over agin i would put the bleed valve on top. Use the lug nuts to keep the rotors on bolt your calipers to the plate and slide it over the rotors and weld it up.
(that is the way i did mine and it works good with 16.5 rims.)

#47 ·
I really appreciate the feedback and opinions. I have searched and reviewed lots of different rear 9 disc swaps. Most of them with no e-brake. I priced out and checked around for availability on some caddy stuff but couldn't find anything. I came across this post which was a "junkyard 9 conversion" that supposedly has been done and worked. I was able to get the parts for basically no cost, but ran into this pad size issue. I am trying to figure out if there is anything I can do about this and if not I will scrap the whole idea.

I honestly haven't checked into a driveline brake setup, I haven't seen or found anyone that has done this setup on a ddriver weekend warrior. Not sure about the cost. I will check into it a little more.

#52 ·
YUP. the pads are a touch too thick, so a quick slap with a grinder on them will make em fit (in my case) or you could get the rotors turned down.

either way it worked very well. you also may have to touch the axle flange with a grinder to make the hats go over them..........

jack stands. strip axle down to shafts. put truck in gear and set grinder on the axle flange. ******* lathe :D

#55 ·
Hey guys just wanted to add my experience to this old tread since this was the first to come up in my google search. Hopefully it can help someone in the future.
I did the 9 inch big bearing explorer conversion using 99 explorer parts and Currie bearing spacers and rotors drilled to 5x5.5 on my 69 f100 standard cab long bed, but for the ebrake cable I didn't want to spend the money on the lokar kit so I measured a lot of trucks at work till I found the perfect direct fit cable for my truck, it comes from a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 4x4 5.3l left side cable, ebrake cable part number bc660785, which is a brakebest cable from oriellys auto parts, 35 bucks for both cables, hope this helps anyone looking to do the f100 for cheaper than the lokar kit

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.