Pirate 4x4 banner

Big bear.

3K views 37 replies 8 participants last post by  BurbPilot 
#1 ·
Well my dad finally wants to go to a different wheeling spot now :D when is it the best time of the year to go. and as for parking. is there a place to leave your tow rig and what not? do you have to play to go in ? any infor would be nice

Eric

#2 ·
Well in big bear you can just off load your rig either in down or near the trail, if you do it by the trail you're going to need a Forest Adventure Pass. If you do it in town somewhere just ask someone if you could leave it in a parking lot, their usually cool about that. You don't have to pay to come in. You could always just drive your rig too.:smokin:

#3 ·
There are lots of different places that you can go, so parking a tow rig kind of depends on where you plan on starting. How big a tow rig will also have an effect. There are some day use spots at Hanna Flat campground that are close to many trail heads, but it can be difficult to get a really long setup in there. BB is street legal only so you can always just drive the rig up. If you "park" on forrest service land you need the adventure pass, not if you are driving it.

If you want, post up when you are coming and maybe someone will show you around.

There is no best time to go really. It's nice up there right now, in the 80's recently, that's a heat wave for us.:eek:

#4 ·
ya. my dad want to go around dec. and I tho there where be to much snow to wheel. But my tow rig is not to long a super duty with a 18 ft long trailer. and I could drive my truck on the street. cops don't complain when see off road trucks on the street. I have no mud flaps and real beadlocks

#5 ·
There is sometimes snow in December. I'm not a fan myself, but lots of people make special trips just to wheel in the snow.

You will always take your chances driving on the street. They do sometimes give out tickets for mud flaps, but they are not crazy about it in my experience. I doubt that they would even notice the bead locks.

#10 ·
Well I'm trying to get FJ40forlife to go out early on Saturday. If you want to meet up let me know.

cant go this sat. going racing. but still working my dad to go next week tho
You still want to go out??:shaking:

#20 ·
Got any pics of the Sub? If its stock it won't make it up some of the trails, mostly cause of the wheel base. There is still alot of trails you will make it up. Just depends on how much body damge you and/or your truck are willing to take. I draged my diff's all over the place. still fun though.

#21 · (Edited)
Scratch Saturday for me, I just ripped out my front brake lines.:mad3::mad3:, I was running a trail close to home and the next thing i new I couldn't stop. Oh well.:shaking:

#25 ·
You should be able to go pretty far with that. What size tires? Whats your clearance from frame to ground? I'm runnin 36" TSL's and about 23" of clearance under my frame. I'm also removing all the stock rear bumper and hitch set up a makeing a new one today. It will give me alot more room and a stronger bumper.

#27 ·
They are 33's. Frame to ground is 20", but the transfer case skid plate is about 5" lower than that. I have the stronger bumper, but I'm changing it back to the stock because it's heavy and long and not as clean looking.

#30 ·
I just ordered my brake line yesterday, so I have to wait for that.:mad3: I want to get the locker in next week. Hopefully next Sat. You going to be ready to come up???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.