Pirate 4x4 banner

what bike?

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sirachi 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any input on the new Santa Cruz Heckler?
I know it's freeride/x-country. How does it compare to the Santa Cruz Superlight? Santa Cruz's website doesn't have any of the specs for the Heckler yet. How much more does the Heckler frame weigh than the superlight frame? Anyone ridden the Heckler/Superlight? Would the Heckler hold up to drops and jumps better than the Superlight?
thanks in advance......

#3 · (Edited)
The Superlight was just a Heckler that they took and squeezed out every ounce that they could to get to a target weight. As far as suspension design and frame geometry, they are the same bike unless something has changed recently. Have you ridden either bike? The most important thing I can say is ride everything you can get your hands on. The Heckler has a different ride, personaly I don't like it, even though I think Santa Cruz makes awesome, well designed bikes. Just go with what feels right.

Oh, if you are going to be doing big jumps and drops, don't buy anything that has "light" in the name.

#4 ·
Oh. and one other thing, if you have ridden the Heckler and know you like the ride of the single pivot/pivot placement of that frame, then you might want to check out the Titus Locomoto and the Ventana Pantera. Both of these are high end bikes that are as good as anything out there. Similar design, actually there are others too...Ahhh the choices...Just food for thought.

#5 · (Edited)
I haven't rode a heckler, but I rode a superlight briefly. My friend is sponsored by santa cruz for road bikes so he can get me one for 1/3 of retail, for frames at least. I just recently bought a 2002 enduro and added xtr f&r derailluers, azonic bars, thompson stem and a new seat. Planning on selling the enduro to pay for the Heckler..............interested?

#8 ·
I agree with Pathmaker on the Intense Uzzi SLX... I am going to updgrade to the SLX from the SL here soon... A titus Locomoto is not a freeride big hit bike... the frame weighs only 5 lbs, not nearly beefy enough for big hits freeride, Id say its more like a cross-country bike that can handle mild down hill blasts...Its just not designed for big hit/freeriding...

Look more in the direction of the Bullit if you want a Santa Cruz for freeride/big hit...

#9 ·
My friends went down to Santa Cruz last week, for a warrantied swingarm that was broken on a Super8. I heard that they were very nice guys, good support, and that the heckler is very stiff - even compared to his bullit, which I think is a 01 or 00.

The bullit is a pretty sick frame though, the 02's look nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.