Pirate 4x4 banner

Buying/Building a bike

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  VT_Toy 
#1 ·
Im sort of new to mountainbiking, and Ive been going on trailrides with some of my friends recently. Ive been riding a Specialized bike of my parents. Its held up pretty well, but my parents dont want me breaking it. Im pretty sure it will break if I keep doing the same stuff with itThe trails here have a lot of little jumps and downhill sections. Theres also a lot of uphill sections/cliimbing My jeep isnt done yet, so my money is pretty tight, so what would you guys do if you were in my place? Name/brand do not matter, and used stuff is fine with me. I just want a solid cheap bike, and Im pretty good with tools and small fabrication. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Phineas

#2 ·
check www.mtbr.com classified section. they have tons of stuff for sale. What kind of $$ are you looking to spend? You can get something decent for $500 +.
Like whelin, mountainbiking is not a cheap hobby.;)

#3 ·
there is a shop on line that is willing to make deals with you. I just had them add disk brakes and rims to my bike for a $100.00 and i am still paying what the bike costs if I was to buy it her plus $50 shipping.

http://thebackcountry.net/main.html

just an idea Call and talk directly to mike the owner he is the one to who makes the deals. I have his cell if you cant get him.

Good luck CHUCK

#4 ·
It looks like you live in a college town, the first place to look is the pawn shops . Alot of kids pawn their bikes when their stundent loan money runs out. I found a Trek 8900 at a pawn shop for $175. Another option is to ask your local shops if they have any "left over" bikes , Alot of times you pick up a new bike thats 2-3 years old for a very good price.

#5 ·
build it

If you have the time, I'd build it, I just finished a Specialized Enduro Expert HT, all I can say is SWEEt, the bike retails for $1800 but with running all XT, avid's instead of Hydro brakes, and buying a few items used I built the entire bike for under $1000
but I've done it a little at a time and watched for deals, and bought everything online.

Good luck and happy riding

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.