Pirate 4x4 banner

Homemade slip/ring roller

76K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Azzy2000 
#1 ·
Didnt see many of these while doing a search so I thought I would post this up. Made it a few months back.

I built this off & on over the course of a couple months. It`s not quite complete, but, it is useable.
After using it, a couple of my suspicions were confirmed:
1) I need to probably double the size of the handle.
2) I need to knurl the two bottom rollers slightly, to help when rolling flat stock 1/4 inch and thicker. I will also be machining guide grooves in the upper roller to aide in rolling solid round stock 1/2 inch and thicker.
Eventually,I would like to make an upper roller for doing 1" or 1 1/2" square tubing, as well as comparable size angle.

The specs. are:
The side plates are 8"x8"x1" thick.
The bottom plate is 6"x8"x1" thick.
The shafts are 1 3/16" dia. by 7" long.
The rollers are 2 3/4" dia. by 3" long.(will be changing the bottom rollers to 5" long. I will also be changing the upper roller to 3" dia.(to enable me to make smaller dia. rings.)

These are the first practice pieces:
1) complete ring, 1/8"x1 1/4" cold rolled approx. 10"
2) small incomplete ring 1/8"x1 1/4" cold rolled approx. 5"
3) "U" shaped piece 1/4"x3" hot rolled approx. 30" in length( this is the one that changed my mind on how big the handle needs to be)

See less See more
#3 ·
Very cool, instead of a bigger handle could you add another shaft and a couple of sprockets and give it 2 or 3 to 1 gear reduction? A big old steering wheel with a suicide knob is just beging to be used as a handle.

Pics of the rosebud holder would be cool.

Brewchief:D

#4 ·
you caould use a torque muliplier for a 1/2 ort 3/4 drive and use a ratchet or make a wheel for the drive socket. torque multipliers are 4-1

#7 ·
Torch holder and other table acc.

The main reason that I put this together was for doing this:

The parts consist of:
5/8" solid rod
3/4" I.D seamless tubing
1 1/2" O.D X .120 wall D.O.M
5/16-18 bolts and nuts

Since I ran out of work at 8 o`clock this morning, I decided to make these.
It always seemed, that no matter where I would tack a piece of tubing to hold the gun or torch, it would be in the way of a clamp. Also, it never failed that I would snag my shirt or pants on them too.

The round one is for the mig gun and the square one is for the torch.

Continued...

#8 ·
These clamps come in pretty damn handy. For those that don`t know, all you do is tack them to the table on the front of the base here:

The heavier of the two is made from 1" plate with an 1/2" x 2" base. The other consists of all 1/2" x 2" flat stock. They both use 3/4-10 all thread screws.

#10 ·
So.... You fab for a living..... Got it......

Nice tricks, thanks for sharing :beer: What else you got in your bag of tricks? (Im taking notes)

Chris:cool2:

#12 ·
Yes it is.

Here is how I deal with removing the tacks and keeping the table clean and pretty damn flat. After breaking the tack by rocking the clamp forward or using a cut off wheel, I then grind it down with an 80 grit flap wheel until it is almost flush. I then use my large grinder with a 9" cupped grinding wheel ,and, starting on one end of the table, using an even speed and no extra down force, an up and back motion, overlapping each pass by about half, go over the whole table.

You can see the swirl marks in the last pic. Also, I alternate side to side and end to end each time I do this. Like so:

#13 ·
Another vice mount idea.

What the hell, I`ll just keep everything in this thread.

First off, this was not my idea.

specs.
2" x 1/4"wall square tube.
1 1/2" solid square.
1 1/2" solid round.
1/4" plate.

How it works:
Pull vise out until round stock is in square, twist upward, then push back in.

#15 ·
Wow that table must be 2" thick! I'd hate to think of the weight! At least you won't bend it, unless you drop it for 60,000 ft!
I love the vice mount idea! Do you get much side to side flop of the vice with that square stock in a sq. tube? i know my reciever hitch rattles around a bit on my truck.

#16 ·
Nice little roller.
I bought a cheap HF one and it was a pain to crank so I put a 40:1 gear box on it and run it with a 3/4 horse 1/2" drill with a variable voltage control I made to slow it down. You might want to motorize yours if you are going to do a lot of rolling.

Making tools is always better than buying !

#18 ·
I need 15 x 15 x 6 lug rims

Thanks for posting.
This helps with insparation for my project.
So my friend let me borrow an old rim to try these sprint car tires on my rig. I want them for sand use. then I got to noticing that they look easy to build. I cut a rim on my friends lathe but I could not find 12.5" tube to cut 8" wide sections out of. . .. So I need a slip roll to make my own. The harbor frieght one only does 20 guage. I want to roll 3/16" x 8" x 40".
I'm gonna make my own so me and my buddies can all make rims for our rigs. The tires are free at the race track. . .so cool. . .just need rims.
starting with some old Toyota axles and gears out of some broken t-cases.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.