Pirate 4x4 banner

Another chevy build

410K views 1K replies 205 participants last post by  cda 
#1 · (Edited)
This is gonna start off more of an evolution thread being my truck is about done. A little back ground on how it got to where it is now.

this is about what it looked like when I got it a few years back.

fastforward thru a couple transformations and tire sizes.

always changing

the best it looked when still street legal, didnt have a digital camera back then so pics were few.

I skipped posting a lot of the mods I did to this point because they were all the normal chevy things, big bumpers, rock sliders, body lifts and normal junk like that. At this point the truck was still 1/2 ton 4" lift, 3" body lift. 38" tires.

The turning point that got me in the direction I am at now would be the tube bed. I got tired of smashing in the fender sides so I built this. It was actually 1 1/4" schedule 40 poop pipe, but worked great. Low budget was the only way I could afford to wheel.

I ran around with that bed all the way up till this year. At this point it was still a daily driver I used to get to work. Shortly after I also built an inside cage out of the same poop pipe. No pics of of that, I will have to dig thru old piles of photos.

I pulled the rock sliders for more ground clearance and before I knew about boat siding a cab I just cut the rockers off and welded some square tubing at the door opening, also cut the rusted corners out and reinforced the corners. These work good, actually still running the cab like that, simple but effective.

Never being able to leave anything alone I decide to tube the front end with the intent of leaving it street legal, I didnt own a tow rig or trailer so I didnt have any choice. So out of more poop pipe I run the cage thru the front firewall and built a pipe core support. That only lasted until I went to put sheet metal on, cause the first thing I did was narrow the front end. So a tow rig was now in order. Anyway fast forward again thru some more boring tech this is where I was at.

some beadlocks and the best upgrade I had done, a Dana 60 14bolt combo.

more to come.

See less See more
#123 ·
damn we went to Dr vistit this morning an the wife was bitchin at me for bein online (PBB) on my phone while she was drivin, but I am gettin you off track with this thread so Ill stop posting not related shit now, but Congrats again and hope all goes well and tell your wife to rub off on mine, she is into it but only about 10% of the time.

#125 ·
Talked with Punisher and all is worked out, I believe it was just a misunderstanding and most likely just had the wrong pic in the file. I know I have done it my self when I was rushing thru and posting pics. :)

So back to the buildup. I got the last of my parts ordered today. I ended up ordering a set of shorter headers for the 454. I tried making a set out of a stack of long headers I had laying around and they were looking good but wasnt half way done and the darn things were gonna be a perminent fixture because of the shape. So I tossed them in the corner and decided my time will be better spent elsewhere on the rig at this time. Rather then putting many hours into headers.

#127 ·
not much tech yet, but about 2 hours after we got home from the hospital the fed ex guy showed up. I sure am glad i just ordered these. It saved me hours of work.

I did go cheap and not get the coated ones. Just plan on spraying some high temp paint on them and calling it good.

#135 ·
They are stazwork double beadlock. 16" X 12" wide with 2" back spacing and pressed centers.

They were pretty spendy. They were $425 as shown. They were normally $350 each then so much more for rock rings, and of course I had to have the skull rock rings so that added to the price plus shipping. The powder coating was free (well I wasnt charged extra for it). I figure these should last for the life of the truck and shouldn't need to upgrade.

Thanks for the vote.

#140 ·
I got the tanks and mounts from a friend. The rest of the kit I originaly pieced together but after making the top 50 I decided to go with all new parts so I ordered a kit from gotpropane. hopefully it will be delivered today. I tried to go with the 450 mixer kit but he sold his last one and I guess wont be getting any more. So I went with the 425 kit.

I might be a little limited in the top end but that might help save my engine. The last 454 I ran didnt last too long because I was pusing it too hard in the top end. blew it up the first weekend.

#142 ·
They were about $180. They were the cheapest ones I could find that were short and not block huggers. Plus they go to a 3" collector instead of being necked down.

I went with 1 3/4" primary tubes to minimize clearance issues because these headers arent meant for trucks. They also said couldnt be used with colum shift but they look like they would work. I plan on putting my cable shifter in anyways so I didnt care about that part.

Here is the link.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Patriot+Exhaust/751612/10002/-1

part number
737-H8012

#144 · (Edited)
No problem,

I did have to trim a little off the top of the frame rail on the passenger side to make them fit. Maybe a 1/4" could have been a bit more and a couple inches long. I could have dimpled the header but I only do that as last resort.

I am running urithane motor mounts so I could have left them closer to the frame but I have a good 1/4" gap now. Not sure how well they would work with rubber mounts, might have to trim a little more or just goahead and dimple them.

I know I am glad I didnt go with the 1 7/8" tubes.

#145 ·
The big brown truck stopped by the house and left my PSC steering kit and propane kit.

I will tell you one thing the PSC kit is awesome. I didnt realize how big the ram was. It was even packaged better than most other items I've ordered.

I did honey do's all day today so I am gonna install the rest of the propane kit tomorrow and finish the exhaust then tackle the steering.

As for the steering I would like to mount the ram on my histeer arms but not sure how it will work running leaf springs. I know it will clear fine in the factory tie rod holes.

#147 ·
I'm running a high clearance crossmember I made but I am also running stock 52" springs with a couple extra leafs. I dont quite have the clearance between the sprins and frame rails. I was trying to run as little lift as I could and still fit the 44's. The 52's flex alot and there lies my problem. The ram should clear the pan if yours does.

#149 ·
not a whole lotta new on it lately, been busy starting a new job so I am limited to mainly weekends now.

I did paint and hang a new door and welded in a couple supports on the front plus added a bracket for the propane converter. Oh and replaced my old mixer with the new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.