Pirate 4x4 banner

Building A Belt Sander?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  jstarnes 
#1 ·
I really want one of these:

{See Attatchment, hotlink didn't work}

But it's a little spendy. There are less expensive ones available, I can get one at Northern Tool for $55, but it's not built nearly as well, and the motor is inferior. It'd probably work, but truth be told, I really don't want to add another bench grinder to my collection (somehow I have 4 of the damn things :laughing:)

Is there a kit, or have one of y'all built one like this before? I've found a couple of setups on knife builders forums, but they still aren't made as well as the Kalamazoo, or have a bunch of wacky bracketry hanging off of them all over the place.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I found the Blue Point one for ~$115 on Ebay, is that pretty much all there is anywhere?

I've got a couple of good 1/2HP American made grinders that are just sitting on a shelf, and not being used. I thought this may be a good use for one of them.

#10 · (Edited)
If you have time, you could do something like I did, see the thread here clicky. It started life as a cheap 4x36 belt sander, it now has a 3hp motor, extended platen to accept a 4x54 belt, and a grooved rubber contact wheel that eats tubing. The thread has a lot of sources for rubber wheels that may work so you wouldn't necessarily have to make one like I did.

As for the sander when it was bone stock, I did notch tubing with it. It absolutely requires alumina zirconia belts (the blue ones) and it was slow going before the rubber contact wheel. Much better now, but for less than $100 with a 3/4hp motor, it didn't do too badly before.

Later,
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.