Pirate 4x4 banner

best epoxy or glue to patch hole in gas tank

28K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  xmptsunami 
#1 ·
like the title says, i have a hole to patch on my plastic gastank. i will be putting a steel plate and glueing it to the tank. i already used jb weld on it and it lasted about two weeks before the leak came back. any other ideas before i shell out money for a new tank>?

#3 ·
if it is an actual hole, plastiweld will be th eonly way ....

if its a tear / pinhole, rub it good with ivory soap .... you think im being a smart ass, but ivory soap works well for trailfixing a small leak ... i did it on a lawnmower tank a few years back and it hasnt leaked yet.

#4 · (Edited)
#5 · (Edited)
I've fixed holes in tanks by drilling the hole out and putting a bolt with a toggle nut through it. at the head of the bolt have a washer and under it a neoprene washer. squeeze some fuel tank repair putty up around the hole and the threads and tighten that thing down.

I've been running it on the rear tank in my truck for about 4 years now with no issues. infact it lasted 3 1/2 years on one truck, truck got majorly wrecked, and then i swapped the tank into the truck I have now. still holds.

Justin

#16 ·
This stuff kicks ass, it's dirt cheap and it sticks like snot to gasoline wet plastic.

I tore off the exhaust before my cat on a 1990 pontiac tempest, so obviously I just stuck a cherry bomb on where the cat was. Problem was the exhaust was pointing right at my plastic gas tank. Eventually it melted about twenty small holes in the tank. I used that seal all shit just to try and hold temporary, it hardened up like epoxy (did my fix in winter too -25 C) and I ended up leaving it like that.

Eventually my heat shield (that I neglected to remove) was rubbing the gas tank and sliced a hole about 11 inches wide in the tank above where the pin holes were. You guessed it, seal all, I used two tubes this time (about $5 each) and worked again.

#10 ·
There is some polyethylene glue called Gorilla Glue that is available in hardware stores around here that worked on some water tanks I have where nothing else would stick for very long. Don't have the bottle anymore to check for applications but it does stick to poly tanks like nobodies business. Might be worth a try-cheaper than plastic welding equipment.

#15 ·
if you use fiberglass stay away from ethonal it will make the patch soft.there is a 3 m epoxy that you get at the bodyshop supply house cant remember the part no. will work even better with the plate if you can put presure on it while it cures i think its called riged parts repair formula i have even used it on batterys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.