Pirate 4x4 banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OFFICIAL Johnson Valley "Virtual Protest" Thread!

147K views 1K replies 1K participants last post by  TNT's RockLobster 
#1 ·
This is the official thread of the Johnson Valley "Virtual Protest" which will take place on March 12th @ 2:00PM.

The simple link to this thread is - http://www.pirate4x4.com/jv

This thread will be opened up at 2:00PM PST March 12. Mark your calendars, and let everyone you know to logon and participate in the biggest online protest in off roading history!!!

Virtual on-line Rally to be Held by 4x4 Enthusiasts
Off Highway Vehicle enthusiasts organize to hold first ever online rally over trail closures

In a landmark event, thousands of Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) users across the world will participate in a online, Virtual Rally to voice their concerns over a popular OHV area in Southern California. On Wednesday March 12th, 2008 Pirate4x4.com, a leading website for the OHV community, will hold this rally from 2 to 6 PM PST.

The Hammers trail system in Johnson Valley, California is being considered for requisition to expand the United States Marine Corps training facilities, which would effectively eliminate public access to Johnson Valley's unrivaled OHV Mecca.

Virtual Rally participants will be asked to post their experiences, photos and history recreating with their families in the Johnson Valley Area, and the concerns they have with losing this unique recreational resource. These comments will be posted and tracked in bulletin-board format, with a goal of creating a lasting record of how important this unassuming stretch of desert is to a vast number of people from many places -- some who visit Johnson Valley multiple times a year, and others who just dream of the opportunity of visiting the Hammers in the future. Interested parties are encouraged to attend the rally and read the thread, as this is a public rally, you do not need to be a member of Pirate4x4.com to read what is posted.

Families and clubs have recreated in this area for many years with OHV’s, and competitive rock crawling, rock racing, motorcycling, and ATV events have been held there for more than a decade, with significant rewards for the area economy. In February, the famed “King of the Hammers” annual rock race crowned its king.

The Bureau of Land Management currently manages the Johnson Valley's varied landscape of steep red rocky mountains, rolling hills, open valleys, dry lake beds, dunes, and sandy washes. The main attraction for most visitors is family OHV recreation: trail-rides, competitive racing events, and general OHV free play. Johnson Valley sees hundreds of thousands of recreation days with users motorcycling, ATVing, 4x4ing, rallycrossing, camping, hiking, rock-hounding, and wildlife-watching.

“It is ironic that the BLM has OHV users recreate responsibly by staying on marked trails and not having campfires at certain times of the year, but now they sell the same area to the Marines who will tear all over the area and conduct live fire drills”, said Todd Ockert, The United Four Wheel Drive Association Director of Environmental Affairs.

Remember, the link for the rally on Wednesday, March 12th will be www.pirate4x4.com/jv
For more information, feel free to email the Pirate4x4.com Land Use Officer at: kurtuleas@pirate4x4.com

See less See more
#935 ·
my family and myself are really hoping to be able to visit Johnson valley and the hammers someday! Please consider all the people and familys involved in our sport when you make a decision. i have a 6yo that keeps loosing more and more trails and off road areas that we have never had the chance to experiance together.

mike dutton

#936 ·
johnson valley and the hammers has some of the best/hardest trails in the world. it would really be a disapointment to myself end all of my friends and family who love to get out and play in these places. without the trails that so many of us frequent the town would have alot less people rolling through.....
alot less people means alot less money rolling in at gas stations/small family returaunt ect. not to mention all of the great vendors who sell parts to be used on these trails. losing this place to me is unacceptable and it would be a big loss to our community. so please listen to what all of these great people are saying and let us enjoy our land!

#937 ·
I just want to say that if the hammers were taken away from us I believe it would be real big harm, the reason being alot of people incuding myself take thier familys out there to offroad and camp. I've been takeing my boys out there for the last 5 or 6 years and this is 1 of the ways I'm able to keep them focused on school education and being responsible for life's actions. So by takeing this area away from us I believe it would only disrupt the future of our kids, our grandkids and great grankids. I have also made some real good friends out at Johnson Valley this is a real important place to us all so PLEASE DONT TAKE AWAY THIS AREA FROM US

THANKS from the FLORES FAMILY

#938 ·
I haven't ever been to Johnson Valley, but it is something I've always wanted to do. I am 16 years old and just got my first vehicle, a 1985 Toyota pickup and ever since i knew what Johnson Valley was, I have wanted to be able to take my truck there and enjoy the scenery and the challenge that Johnson Valley offers. Please don't close it!!

#940 · (Edited)
To Whom It May Concern,
As an avid off-roader, I have visited Johnson Valley several times in the last 10 years. My daughter and I have a lot of fun with friends and other family members exploring, socializing and camping in and around the area that comprises Johnson Valley OHV.
It would be a matter of inconvenience for the military to take over this area from the citizens that use this public land as their recreation area. As it stands, there was speculation that most of this area was unsuitable for the military and the requirements it seeks.
If this plan was set forth, the economic impact to surrounding areas, would be felt by various retailers. The impact for some would be devastating as the tourist industry that off-roaders are part of would dwindle away.
I urge you to rethink and replan for another area to utilize that would not have the impact Johnson Valley would.
Daniel Gomez

Camarillo, Ca 93010

#941 · (Edited)
To whom it may concern:

I am in total support of military training, i presently have 2 brothers in Iraq and a third in Boot camp.

I have been a wheeler for many years starting when i was 5 when my Dad took me on the Rubicon in our 72 Fj cruiser. Since then i have been hooked owning 4 wheel drives since i was 13years old. i couldnt drive it but i worked on upgrades with my dad and let him test them out for me. Before being married and having two kids back to back i was at JV and the Hammers 3 or 4 times a year. Now i try to make it out once a year. This trip would cost me about a grand everytime it was made. On top of the repairs and upgrades that would have to be made to my rig when i got back before i could go again, yet i still kept going. My now 10 year old Son and i are trying to finish our crawler upgrades before this summer in order to make it out there for what sounds like may be the last time. That would be a shame for alot of us who will not be able to relive many good times that have been shared on the trails and in the camp. I hope that this area is not lost to the public and someday i have the opportunity of leading my son up trails like outer limits or claw hammer in the future.

member of

Blue Ribbon Coalition
TTORA
Pirate4x4
Friends of Elderado
Friends of Rubicon
Friends of Fordyce

#944 ·
Please do not close Johnson Valley OHV area. I belong to:
Toyota LandCruiser Association
Pacific Mountain Cruisers
Blue Ribbon Coalition

While I have not had the privilege to use the trails yet, the stories of some of my fellow club members have made me aware of these awesome trails and I would one day like to be able to see them for myself. Please save these trails for our children and future generations.

Thank you,

#946 ·
I do not know when I might be able to make the trek from the east coast, but I support the cause to keep The Hammers open. Everyone in our great nation should have access to such beautiful recreational areas, not just the few and proud. I mean no disrespect to The Marines, but please do whatever you can to find a location that will not take away land that so many people enjoy.

#947 ·
I grew up in Northern California hearing stories of this mystical place called The Hammers. When I applied to colleges and got accepted to one in Southern California I was finally able to take advantage of one of natures wonders. Unfortunately, my jeep is still located in Northern California, but the two or three times a year I get to go enjoy this area my father drives over 1000 miles round trip to bring the vehicles down. We always buy our supplies locally usually in Lucerne Valley or Victorville and frequent the diners along hwy 18 as much as possible since we like to support the people and businesses in the communities where we play.

Anyone that has been up to The Hammers on a nice weekend can tell you that there is are lines of trucks with everything from modified buggies to little mini bikes for the kids waiting to get gas or food in Victorville, Lucerne Valley, or Barstow. This area is a mecca for EVERY off-road sport there is. It is also an area for young families to bring their children for an inexpensive camping trip to explore the desert and all the beautiful scenery that can only be found in the southwest.

One of the rare things that makes Hammers such a special place for four-wheeling is that the terrain changes constantly. You can try a trail one month when it is easy and very doable and come back the next month after a hard rain and the most heavily modified buggy would have a hard time getting through it. That is what we look for in an OHV area. Why go through the same boring trail time and time again when you can take the same trail twice and its never the same.

I urge you to look at the hundreds of thousands if not millions of people that enjoy this area and spend their hard earned money to keep the economy alive in the desert. I fully understand that the military needs places to keep our soldiers trained and ready to protect us but I beg you, please find another area to train and practice in.

Thank you,
Kirk Oden

#948 ·
Like everyone else has said, I'm am a proud supporter of our US Marines and the rest of our armed forces that put themselves in harms way for our freedom.

With that being said, I would like to use my freedom to voice my opinion on the proposed "area of interest" for use by the Marine Corps. Johnson Valley is home to some of the greatest OHV trails in the world. While I have never been there, it is my dream to one day drive cross country, with my Jeep in tow, to experience the beautiful scenery and terrain Johnson Valley has to offer.

Every piece of public OHV land is precious to us. Most of our public land for OHV use on the East Coast has been taken from us, PLEASE don't make our offroad brethren on the other side of the country suffer the same fate.

Thank you for your time.

Michael Langdon
Westminster, MD

#949 · (Edited by Moderator)
To Whom It May Concern;

Our organization, Sports in the Rough, has been in the off road market since 1993. We've developed 4x4 events across the US and Canada, focusing on outdoor activities for competitors and families.

The Johnson Valley OHV area is one we use heavily for events and pleasure. We have had countless videos and television spots recorded and sold to the public for further advertisement of this great recreational area. National magazines and local newspapers follow our events which lead to an increase in the surrounding cities' economy.

We also work with local 4 Wheel Drive clubs to keep the area clean and maintained for future riders. Each and every rider makes numerous efforts throughout each year supporting events held in that area.

There are many loyal local sponsors of our events that enjoy being apart of it and support the off road industry in this fashion. To do away with that would, most certainly, cause a loss for business as well as entertainment, valued by residents.

The Hammers are very well known and recognized by riders, and non-riders alike, across the U.S and other countries. This is a historical part of the off road industry which should be allowed to remain open for future generations to enjoy.

Thank you for understanding the needs of our business, OHV riders, non OHV riders and spectators of the Johnson Valley OHV area and keeping the area open for public use.

#950 ·
Please do not take away something that means so much to so many people. This is an area I planned on having my two daughters spending alot of there time growing up. To some of this this is our "YMCA", or Golf Course and to have it taken away would be really sad. Please here out the community and dont expand the land. Thank you

#952 · (Edited)
Trip report from Last year

A few years ago I had heard about the Tinbender’s Jambo Clean up held in Johnson Valley. Last winter I decided that I would plan to make the 8 hour drive down from Central California . Johnson Valley OHV: Home of the world famous Hammer’s Trails. I had taken my Formula Toyota Buggy down for the first time the previous November with my wife and some friends from our area. We had a great time and I was hooked. For this trip I had invited my Dad to ride shotgun with me. This was to be his first trip to the Hammers and his first experience rock crawling.

My dad is an outdoorsman. I grew up with him teaching me how to hunt, fish, and camp. From backpacking, to horsepacking, to truck camping in some of his favorvite places in the Sierra Nevada. He showed me all the places his dad had showed him and taught me to appreciate nature and the great outdoors. Now was my chance to show him something new and give him an experience that he would remember doing with his son. Kind of my way of giving back something to him.

So as the weeks began closing in on the dates for the Jambo Clean up weekend. I prepared my Dad for what he was getting into. Of course I was excited. After all I was taking my dad to the Hammers! Showing him something I had come to love. So I began showing him pictures.

A few shots of my first trip out there.

A few weeks before the date we were set to leave. We found out that my little sister’s junior college graduation was to be held the Friday evening that we had planned to get to the hammers. My dad and I decided that we would have everything ready to go and leave directly from the after graduation party. Make an all night drive to make it to lakebed staging area early Saturday am. So we did. I drove all night to spend the weekend with my Dad at the hammers.

I am very fortunate to have In-Laws that own a house less then 20 dirt road minutes from Means Dry lakebed. We arrived there at about 5:30 Saturday morning. We both crashed for an hour and half. Got up and loaded the buggy for the day with lunch and plenty of water.

Leaving the House early Saturday morning, headed over to the lakebed for the organized trail runs.

Line up on the lakebed Saturday morning. My dad and I met other wheelers from all over the U.S. that weekend out there.

Once everyone was lined up for the trail runs we headed out to the Sledgehammer trail. I had signed up to run the trail with the guys from the Trail-Gear crew. I couldn’t have picked a better group. My dad was able to meet some really great folks.

Lined up at the start of Sledgehammer.

Headed in.

Shot of some of the group.

The plaque rock half way up the trail.

My Dad who has never seen anything quite like this was having a great time watching responsible wheelers have a great time.

We completed the trail in the early afternoon and headed back down to the lakebed. We decided we should probably catch a nap before the raffle and BBQ started later that evening.

Beautiful shot of Means lakebed as we headed down form the end of the Sledge hammer trail.

The raffle came and went. I didn’t win anything. But did purchased some tee shirts and donated some money to the Friends of Paniment Valley.

All in all it was a great weekend and I was able to spend some quality time with my dad.

Please keep our public lands open to the public!

Jeremy Farrell

#953 · (Edited)
Bottom line is that it is our right to have access to our public lands and since this closure is not due to abuse or enviromental impact of this area it is an attack and reminder for people on the publics few remaining rights. If we don't act now this will set the pace for every other extremist group to push us out of our back country and the available history of a lot of these areas. As we all know the Military will have a 1000 times more of an enviromental impact on the entire area than 4wheelers could in a hundred years of misuse of the few sections that are traveled now out of the entire Johnson Valley. The Military will turn that place into glass and make it unsafe with unexploded artilliary for when and if the training facilities are closed down like just about all air force, army, and navy bases have already been closed and left as waste lands or developed into ticky tacky track homes. SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY FOR PUBLIC ACCESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm suprised the eviromental wacko jack off's aren't out there straping them selves to rocks and molesting coyotes to keep this from happening right now. Where are the parasites when they are actually needed, OH yeah I forgot there farming hair, bumming change, selling dirt and trying to close down access to other parts of our National Forest. If this pace keeps up we won't have anywhere to wheel, fish, hike, etc........ Be active and stay active in the fight for our access to our land, it is a testament to all of our life styles!

#954 ·
I am in full support of wilderness areas, but also believe that OHV parks serve a crucial purpose for the people that use them.

Johnson Valley as an already established OHV area allows many people to enjoy the outdoors in a manner consistent with their interests. I would hate to see that opportunity taken away from the people that have access to the area.

#955 ·
I am a relatively new resident of California, however one of the primary things that drew me here were the outstanding public OHV areas throughout the state. One of my favorites is Johnson Valley due to the outstanding trails and short drive from my new home in San Diego.

While training areas for our Armed Forces is important, the loss of such a world class OHV park would be devastating not only for the OHV community in Southern California, but also for the local economy in the small towns surrounding Johnson Valley. I shudder to think how much money I personally have spent on fuel, food, firewood, and repair parts from the small business owners in Yucca Valley.

Off-road vehicle recreation is continually expanding. A June 2005 report from the National Survey on Recreation and the Environment (NSRE) states that “according to the MIC (Motorcycle Industry Council) reports, OHV annual sales more than tripled between 1995 and 2003, to more than 1.1 million vehicles sold in 2003.” The report goes on to add that “California has 4.35 million OHV users accounting for almost 11 percent of the U.S. total. This is more than 1.5 times the number of participants in second ranked Texas.” All of these OHV enthusiasts generate millions of dollars for the state of California economy every year.

OHV revenue is also used to help the local environment. In January 2008, the Desert Managers Group awarded a $95,000 grant from California State Parks Off Highway Vehicle Recreation Commission for the Desert Tortoise Outreach Project. These funds were generated by the Off Highway Vehicle Green Sticker Program.

I strongly urge the powers that be to consider all of the second and third order effects this decision will have on the local and state economy. The loss of such a popular and nationally recognized OHV park would be felt for years to come.

#956 ·
Please do not allow Johnson Valley to become another place that our children and grandchildren will never get a chance to see. There are so few places left like it. JV is a place where you can hike,ATV,explore,camp...ect. I for one understand why the military is needing to expand its footprint, but please don't take away our families places to be together. The armed forces are there to protect our rights and freedoms, does it not seem ironic that the armed forces now want to take away our land and freedoms to explore, four wheel...ect?

There must be a comprimise for all parties-Please give us the opportunity to come to one.

#957 ·
To whom it may concern:

Let me start by saying that I am in total support of our military and the Marine Corps.

Still, I am very worried about the Johnson Valley expansion by the Marine Corps, especially the “additional area of interest”. If the Marine Corps expand into this area, it will take away a very important area from the OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) community.

The Hammer Trails, which are located in this area, are a main destination for OHV enthusiasts to bring their families to recreate in California. Competitions such as the recent, highly publicized “King of the Hammers” have also been held in this area.

I don't have any family as of yet, but i plan on having some children soon, and would like to take them to visit Johnson Valley. As Johnson Valley is seen as a “Mecca” by many OHV enthusiasts in the west, it has always been a dream of mine to take my family down there to recreate responsibly. Many OHV enthusiasts that live miles away visit the Hammers on a regular basis.

While I understand that the Marines need space to train, you need to understand that our motor-sport is constantly under attack. Because of many different factors, the areas in which we can four-wheel in have been shrinking at an alarming rate. In Eldorado National Forest alone, for example, we stand to lose 1,800 MILES of trails. This means that the Rubicon trail, another "mecca" for off road enthusiasts is in jeopardy of being closed. this trail is where i grew up, and these possible closures hit real close to home for me. For us to lose such an important area as the Hammers to our sport would be like Baseball losing Wrigley field or Golf losing Augusta.

We also have an undeserved reputation for “ruining” the environment. The OHV community is growing by leaps and bounds, while our trails are closing left and right. This results in more users in a smaller area, which results in damage to the trail from condensed use by a greater number of OHV’s. Closing this area to OHV use will create damage to other trails that are already overcrowded, which in turn will give the “other” side more ammunition to lock us out of our public lands.

Whatever you do, please understand that you are not just taking an area of desert; you are effecting the lives of thousands of people who recreate in the Johnson Valley area.

Dale Moles

#958 ·
I would also like to add my name to the list of off-road enthusiasts to keep the Johnson Valley area open. As a Vetran of OIF-II I fully support the military and its training needs, but there has to be a better solution than taking away one of the most popular trail systems in America.

Thanks to Pirate4X4 for putting this together, and thanks to anyone reading and participating in this rally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.