Pirate 4x4 banner

Ab Diving.

990 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  rugburn 
#1 ·
Anyone here go Ab Diving?
My (ex) Brother in Law used to go a lot, but now that he is the ex, I think it would be too wierd to go with him.
Anyway, I need someone to teach me the ropes!

#3 ·
Used too back in the day.....

Now wouldn't go in the water north of Monterey if you paid me..

Shit out there will eat you!

Used to be able to take Abs with scuba, now you gotta float around like a bobber lookin like a seal..

no thanks, but good luck

#9 ·
Sounds you guy need to go again, Just don't die :p.
I know its all free diving now, so what all do I need?
-Basic snorkle crap (goggles,fins)
-Ab Bar (Have a Snap on bar, should be good enough)
-Ab Gauge
-Float for the surface/storage

I was reading that most are free dives 40-50 feet down......... Thanks far, I don't know If I can go down that far...

So where should I go, Caspar Beach somewhat safe?

#13 · (Edited)
40-50ft? That's a fishing story if I've ever heard one. Knowing where and how to look is the key. You won't see a hubcap swimming on the surface, but dive down, grab hold of a big rock and see what's hanging on the underside and you might find something. I've never dove deeper that mid 20's for abs and have limited in 5 feet of water.

Your list sounds good, real ab bars are cheap, and supposed to be "better" in the event you have to put one back. You'll also need a weight belt, wet suit, gloves, snorkel, hood and booties. If you are not experienced, plan to sepnd some time in the water and being cold.

#11 ·
Good Deal Rick, I will.
I am just hoping to find a safe place, or someone that knows what rules/safe spots we can go at. I found some local boards and will see if I can get more info.
Somesay I may need a wet suit.
I can almost taste the Ab now!

#12 ·
Ab People said:
Abalone irons must be less than 36 inches long, straight or with a curve having a radius of not less than 18 inches , and must not be less than 3/4 inch wide nor less than 1/16 inch thick. All edges must be rounded and free of sharp edges. Knives, screwdrivers and sharp instruments are prohibited.
!
Damn, That rules out an Snap On Bar.
I wonder if I can getto it up and use a Leaf spring as an Ab Bar.

#14 ·
Mendocino is where I go in September. There is a cove that is pretty sheltered just across the highway from the Little River Inn. It is probably the "safest" you might find. No "hubcaps", but plenty to fill a card and usually less than 25 feet. There is also a cool campground right next to the Little River Inn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.