Pirate 4x4 banner

*-j-rOds 85 Trail Roach*

85K views 240 replies 71 participants last post by  mystikk27 
#1 ·
Figured Id start a build thread now that I have enough done to warrant one...

Started with an 85 reg cab toy that I bought from a coworker, it had a fresh 22r, weber38, LC engineering header and exhaust, 3 inch procrap lift and 32s. I sold the bed, tires and wheels off of it and started doing work. First job was to get rid of the awful paint, so I scuffed it up and shot it with some krylon khaki rattle cans. Next was to swap in a IFS rear, do a 1 inch roger brown body lift, 2 inch spacers on the front and some sky boomerang shackles, all of which i did at my house in the driveway. I already had a set if 36x12.5 tsl sxs and some 5.29 thirds with a detroit in one so tires and gears were taken care of. Next was to gather parts to do 63 chevy rears, 3" trail mart front springs and shock hoops, skys front hanger, chevy swap kit and ubolt flips, Kongs hi steer arms, Shakerbuilt draglink and tie rod, all pro rock sliders, warn 9.5 ti, and dual cases. Got all of the parts together and got time to get out to a buds shop this past weekend and get the suspension and steering done. Still have to order shocks prolly gonna go with a set of 14" bilsteins, Weld on the sliders, order a budbuilt xmember and install the duals, and get a tube flatbed and exo done so I can keep a windshield in it when i happen to flop it on the trail. Anyhoo heres the pics so far, enjoy.

easy

-j-rOd:smokin::grinpimp:

Attachments

See less See more
#66 ·
Quick update, heres a few pics of the bed in progress... more pics as work progresses...:grinpimp:

Attachments

#70 ·
I hope to pick this pile up on friday so i can finish it up and get it ready for the trail... June 21st trail ride isnt that far off.

#74 ·
yeah im fawkin amped about how it turned out... the lines of the tube dont make it look as much like a truck trapped inside of a jungle gym... either way it should keep the glass in it when i flop it... i hope.... :D

#75 ·
still got a couple more small tubes to add to it... probably gonna do the cowl bar out of some smaller tube so it wont be in the line of sight as much... and gotta put a tube between the top and bottom fender bars by the marker light to tie them together... its getting there....

#79 ·
thanks for the props on the bumper... :D the front axle is 1 and 7/8" fwd.. i redrilled the spring perches 1 &3/8" back and the TG springs move the axles 1/2" fwd... and yes I trimmed the core support to move the box fwd... ill hafta snap some pics of it this weekend when i get the truck back... Although I didnt hack it as much as some have had to... I only cut out the backside of the core support and just barely the bottom edge of the front...

easy

-j-rOd

#81 ·
Heading out to pick up this pile tomorrow afternoon... gonna work on it all weekend to finish up the little bs so I can hit the trail with it at a buds farm in a few weekends... I cant fawkin wait!!! :smokin:

#82 ·
got some work done this weekend.... picked the truck up on friday, and welded in a couple of braces off of the back of the rear shock towers, on sat replaced ft pinion seal rear tcase output seal and bearing, welded on the steering stab bracket and installed it, painted the exo, re-fit the tailpipe, and started the spare tire hold down. Sunday I welded on the ft bumpstops, part of the frame for the bed floor and finished up the big fawkin wingnut for the spare tire hold down. Its ready enough to go to a buds farm on the 21st :D but I still gotta add a few more tubes to the cage and add the plate to the sides and bottom of the bed... heres a few pics of the weekends progress...:smokin:

Attachments

#84 ·
Heading out thursday night to finish up the truck before I take it to the trail on friday... Still gotta chain motor mounts, install rear lights, rear driveline, diff vents, toolbox, hilift, and weld up the steering stops... stay tuned for pics of the first time out. :smokin:

#85 · (Edited)
truck worked pretty well this weekend for the first time out for the couple hours i got to drive it... the fawkin ignitor took a shit about two hours into the night wheeling session.... dammitt... and of course nobody has one in stock... so i ended up riding with a bud of mine in his rhino for the rest of the weekend... the truck needs a lil more weight in the bed which will happen when I put the sides an decking on it... and the front springs are working awesome so far... and have probably dropped about an inch now that they are more broken in... stay tuned for updates.

easy

-j-rOd

heres the only pic that got taken of it before the ignition took a poopie

Attachments

#87 ·
Heres an update to my thread…. I have just moved and taken a new job so the truck has been sitting for a couple of weeks now but before I left I fixed the ignitor and picked up a used set of 35” bfg MTs for street tires. I got the rest of the lights hooked up and probably put 200 miles on it just driving it around. I took it out to my uncles farm and messed around for a couple of days on some logging trails and dozer paths… didn’t really take a lot of pics because I was so amped just to be driving the pile of shit. It flexes pretty well and rides SOFT… the front springs are tits and have broken in well… Although I need to make some small bumpstop pads for them to bottom out on so I wont be able to bottom the front shocks out if I lean on the front springs hard.

Still to do:

Reinforce front steering stops/Knuckle gussets
Some kind of landing pad for the front bumpstops
Bed flooring and sides
2.5” Sch 40 rear driveshaft for the trail
Finish other half door
Add a few small bars and gussets to the exo and cap the ends of the front bumper

Anyhoo heres a few pics of the pile on the farm, checking the front bumpstops, and one of the 10 dollar tail lights I installed.

Attachments

#89 ·
Few pics from this past weekend out at the farm... made a little place at the sand pits to play around on... the front springs are breaking in nicely... I added a landing pad on the front spring plates for the bumpstop to keep the shocks from bottoming... anyhoo onto the pics... some of them ar of a bud of mine driving it so I could see how the suspension was working...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.