Pirate 4x4 banner

Heavy duty axles for Dana 44 TTB

20K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  Proeliator 
#1 ·
Hi, i´m new at this forum, hello everyone! well i have a problem with a 1993 Bronco. since it has Nitrous (150 HP) its breaking the font TTB left axle where the u joint is. So i decided to buy a reinforced axle to replace this one that is not being hard enough. The problem is that i cant find a heavy duty one so i need some recomendation where to look for one. so i would be very thankfull if some of you could tell me something.

Well thanks... i'll be waiting answers

Cristobal

#3 ·
if you want to stay with the TTB find a dana 50 TTB for dirt cheap. uses dana 60 joints down side you convert to 8 lug but hey then you can put a 60 or sterling 10.25 in the rear

send superior your shafts thats about all i know of for options ont he TTB dana 44, anytime i had one in a bronco or a f150 i swapped it out to a dana 50 or fabbed in a hp dana 44 and stuck alloy shafts in.

#13 · (Edited)
I never suggested D50 TTB outers on a D44 TTB I stated getting a D50 for his truck like in robbing a whole dana 50 TTB out of a pickup.....

A d60 is my choice but a TTB can be fun you'll have to weld some brackets on the TTB50 but it will give you the suspension movement that is sometimes advantagious when jumping/ desert racing a 4x4 rig ...... Really depends on what you are doing, for all the work a D60 and a strong 4 link would be awesome but a D50 could be made to do a decent job

#5 ·
The D50 TTB does not use D60-size joints, they are in between sizes of the D44 and D60.

I would agree though, get on the phone with Superior, Alloy USA, etc. and see what they can offer. Fortunately the driverside shaft is no different than for a straightaxle D44 (other than length), you should be able to find something for it without too much hassle, it's the passengerside shaft with the slip-spline that's probably gonna a bit tougher to get in 4340.

Perhaps simply running genuine Spicer 5-760X u-joints and welding the caps to the yokes could help, too (if it's busting at the joint).

#6 ·
Thanks for your answers. I was thinking about changing to dana 50 but i dont know if i have to do chassis modifications to the bronco or something like that to fit with the dana 50. so do you know something about that??? tha daana 50 is 8 lug? i hope not realy because i have bolted on a 15x12 aluminium beadlocks and that will force me to change wheels and that is expensive. Do you know brands that make powerfull axles so i can ask them for 4340 axles for the bronco???

Thanks!!

Cristobal

#9 ·
How is he going to run a D50 stub shaft? D50TTB uses a 1350 external snapring u-joint, same as in rear driveshafts.

#11 ·
Ok, I see. I was thinking outter stub:shaking:. Didn't even think about the passanger side inner stub.

#14 ·
Alright, just wanted to make sure someone didn't try that. Cannot be done.

Swapping a D50 TTB into a Bronco is plain retarded in itself. They are leaf sprung and all full size Broncos are coil sprung from the factory. Might as well find a straight axle like you suggested.

#15 ·
Thanks for your answers. I was thinking about changing to dana 50 but i dont know if i have to do chassis modifications to the bronco or something like that to fit with the dana 50. so do you know something about that??? tha daana 50 is 8 lug? i hope not realy because i have bolted on a 15x12 aluminium beadlocks and that will force me to change wheels and that is expensive. Do you know brands that make powerfull axles so i can ask them for 4340 axles for the bronco???

Thanks!!

Cristobal
First thing, spell check, learn to use it:flipoff2:

well since no one else said it. SAS that bitch with a build d60 :flipoff2:
Winner:D

Swapping a D50 TTB into a Bronco is plain retarded in itself. They are leaf sprung and all full size Broncos are coil sprung from the factory. Might as well find a straight axle like you suggested.
Winner #2:D

First off we need at least a little info, all we know is you have a bronco with nitrous, this is almost no help at all, horsepower/torque numbers, tire size/type, what kind of wheeling, how many times has the shaft broken, etc.

Without more info it's hard to give much in the way of advice, what will work for a stock motored truck used on sand dunes won't work for a big block truck with 40s being thrashed on rocks.

Brewchief:D

#16 ·
First thing, spell check, learn to use it:flipoff2:

Winner:D

Winner #2:D

First off we need at least a little info, all we know is you have a bronco with nitrous, this is almost no help at all, horsepower/torque numbers, tire size/type, what kind of wheeling, how many times has the shaft broken, etc.

Without more info it's hard to give much in the way of advice, what will work for a stock motored truck used on sand dunes won't work for a big block truck with 40s being thrashed on rocks.

Brewchief:D
Sorry for my english.... it´s not my natural language... well ok i'll give more info. This is a 400 HP and 450 pound/ft of torque. is for sand duning, it has dick cepek 33x15.50R15 on 15x12 alloy wheels, and the shaft has broken two times at the u-joint both times. i dont want to modify too much, i want something simple but good. I hope that with this info you can help better.

Thanks.

Cristobal

#18 ·
wrap the shafts in duct tape. :laughing:

#22 ·
and for that price you could swap a 60 in thurr and never worry again.

if i was to build a high powerd buggy/truck id do a 60 with no questions asked, he says he has a 150hp shot of nos, so lets say he has a 200 to 250hp motor, 350 to 400hp is gunna snap a 44 shaft on doughnuts. you NEED to give us more info or just bite the bullet and buy a cheap stock d60.

or lose the nos and tires :flipoff2:

#23 ·
if i was to build a high powerd buggy/truck id do a 60 with no questions asked, he says he has a 150hp shot of nos, so lets say he has a 200 to 250hp motor, 350 to 400hp is gunna snap a 44 shaft on doughnuts. you NEED to give us more info or just bite the bullet and buy a cheap stock d60.
guys is WSORR and the desert are making 450hp with out snapping axles on TTB Ford...Try adjusting your driving style....don't be on the throttle when you land...don't stab the throttle with your wheels cranked...or try running narrower or less aggressive tires on the front.

Maybe like the rest of us non-rock crawlers we like the handling and travel of a independant front...throwing a 60 up front is not ideal for handling and would require just as much if not more fabricating than swaping in a 50 TTB front. :shaking:

#27 ·
guys is WSORR and the desert are making 450hp with out snapping axles on TTB Ford...Try adjusting your driving style....don't be on the throttle when you land...don't stab the throttle with your wheels cranked...or try running narrower or less aggressive tires on the front.
So the guys in the desert don't drive hard eh? I don't know the WSORR class but the ttbs are heavily modified even for ameteurs ********.

#29 ·
So the guys in the desert don't drive hard eh? I don't know the WSORR class but the ttbs are heavily modified even for ameteurs ********.
never said they don't drive hard....there's a difference between driving hard and just being stupid and beating on the equipment.

the original question was about axle shafts, the only class in WSORR runing 4wd and TTB is Formula 4x4, and while they may have beefed up their radius arms and beams, most the axle shaft assemblys are stock 44's. then again they're limited to 14in of travel and 33" tires, but they're being raced, and i know they are making 400+ hp. I'm sure there are plenty of retards that could figure out ways to bust up a 60 on bald 215's...just like any asshole who lands under power has a great chance on breaking a TTB 44....but otherwise they hold up pretty damn good. If he wanted to put a dana 60 in it, i'm sure he would've asked "how do i put dana 60 in my ford?" but he wanted to know if there are stronger axles for his TTB front

#37 ·
Well you are right.... i dont want dana 60, i want to keep my TTB but a stronger one that can hold my 400 + HP. what i need to know if is there at the market the product that i need or not. and if dont, now i´m thinking that plan B would be mounting a TTB Dana 50, so the question woukld be there how do i put this on my bronco? Thanks any way for all the ANSWERS

#30 ·
i actually just ripped out that pile of ass dana 60 in my rig for a d44 ttb and let me tell you ive never been happier. its so much stronger in every aspect and my god the flex is insane. i custom fabbed up some killer kali style drop brackets made of wood and i actually managed to fit 27 shocks under my fenders!
this is pirate you fucking tool. people crawl rocks here so go play in your sandbox and stop preaching to the choir about the strength of a piece of shit front.

#31 · (Edited)
Why would you suggest that he run a D60 on a desert racer? Are you suggesting he add a 4 link suspension with it possibly???? mybe with wooden bumpstops....... any specs you'd like to share on that brainfart, spring rate numbers, travel or replacement arm manufacturers that you would like to suggest? Any constructive info or are you just feeling good with your webwheeling input for the day:flipoff2:

In your world it Must be why we have threads like:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602287

Or this Forum
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Or this Forum for application specific questions
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

or the other 400 threads on pirate over the past 6 years that have touched on this in one way shape or form. Care to add some commentary to any of them while you are at it, they could all use your valuable input.

If he was asking about how to stick a 460 in his bronco, 40's on his 44 and wheel the shit out of it then maybe you'd like a great tueday flamer instead that line of giberish did nothing but provide zero useful info.

For better arms and components try
http://www.camburg.com/fords1P4x4.html thats just the first one that comes to mind

You are missing the fact that the D50 TTB beams are different from the D44's. They are shorter and won't allow for ass munch travel.:flipoff2:
I stand corrected i spaced out the fact that when we swapped in the D50 components we had to move the center mount to the center of the crossmember. i did totally space that out. he could take a set of D50 arms and D44 arms, beef em up cut weld make them the D44 length and have the larger knuckle with D50/D60 axle joint and stub shaft as well as the larger stronger spindle and baljoints of the D50. but there would be some serious fab work involved.

for cheep downa dn dirty im thinking a phone call to superior or Yukon might have to be in order with a set of super joints at least for his application those might buy him some time but the bigger joints will fare better with the shock loads

:shaking:

#32 ·
only suggesting that there is a shit load of other, better, places to talk about the benefits of running independent front suspension pal. if he wants to run a ifs in a bronc in the desert i think its a fucking splendid idea but this place is not the greatest area to attest to the durability of a ttb dana 44. as for the original poster i hope he finds some alloy shafts and runs it hard

#34 ·
These guys will make custom just about anything for you, they already do Scott Douglas and Baldwin's Pro-4 Front end parts. If you replaced the u-joints with CV's it would allow for more steering angle, but it would probably wouldn't pass through the knuckle...so don't know how well that would work
Might be cost prohibitive though. maybe someone will find what they got useful.

http://rockfordcv.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.