Pirate 4x4 banner

BAD SELLER - Hammered Scout

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Bend 
#1 ·
I would like to report a bad seller - Hammered Scout

My brother and I recently bought a 1965 unimog from this seller down in socal.

Here is his original post:
"Gas 6 inline, new steering box, Drives great and needs nothing. California Title"

Well after inspection there was a cracked bell housing and he removed the shocks from the vehicle. Not a problem I still wanted to buy it.

The reason for reporting as a bad seller is that he blatently lied about registration fees. The vehicle hasnt been registered since '05 and I asked how much to register - he said "a couple hundred bucks"

I said fine, towed the vehicle all the way back to the bay and went to the dmv the next day - $1769.00 in past fees.

a couple hundred isnt nearly 1700 - anyways I called him and he gave me a bunch of bs about the previous owner - said he would figure something out and give me a call back - that was two weeks and several voicemails ago - havnt heard a thing so I am resorting to bad sellers list. I offered how about we split the fees or something but havnt heard back

Anyways Lessons learned:
ALWAYS GET A DMV PRINT OUT
A couple really can be a couple thousand :flipoff2:
Buyer beware

Thanks Pal - Anyway the unimog is going to be sick!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not going to take sides here as i am oblivious to Cali law. In Ohio when someone purchases a vehicle the new owner is responsible for the vehicle registration and title fees regardless of the length of time vehicle was unregistered. I would think that the buyer in every case is responsible for properly registering a vehicle or at least doing the legwork/ research to educate himself on the process. During the research phase of purchasing a vehicle one should definitely research the registration/ insurance fees before purchasing the vehicle. If those fees are not in ones budget then said person should have not purchased the vehicle.
If hammered scout works at the BMV and knew what the fees were then he would be in the wrong. Otherwise hammered scout is not the BMV and could not speak on their behalf. Thus putting the responsibility back on the buyer.
I've purchased/sold in/out of state vehicles before and always look into the hidden costs that are associated with properly owning a vehicle in my state.
just my .02

#4 ·
your right - its always the buyers responsibility - hammered im sure had done the investigation discovered the fees and didnt pay them, then lied when asked. I agree that a dmv print out should have been done so of course its our fault for not researching this and trusting someone - trust is a no no

#9 ·
there use to be a collector car clause that made it possible for car collectors to get the back fees and penilties waved, I posted the information here a few years back so your going to have to search

#10 ·
I went thru an almost identical situation with a turbo toy truck about 6 years ago and have been checking fees ever since.What I did was salvage the vehicle which washed all the back fees.Its a shitty solution which leaves you with a salvage title but if it saves you 1500 or so it may be worth it.I did have to get a VIN verification and a brake and lamp inspection for a couple hundred though. Dont have any advice on making things right with Hammered Scout, you may be screwed.Thanks for posting though, I dont figure anybody will deal with this asshat in the future.

#11 ·
I would like to report a bad seller - Hammered Scout
Anyways Lessons learned:
ALWAYS GET A DMV PRINT OUT
A couple really can be a couple thousand :flipoff2:
Buyer beware
I think you and you bro learned something!

Its always a good idea to question a vehicle that is not currently registered.There could be late fees and possible liens.Check with DMV first.
I would say he should have known about the cost for registration because it would have been printed on the registration courtesy notices that DMV sends out.

#14 · (Edited)
Correct CA or for that matter any state can not charge back fees against a vehicle with out of state plates. its that old little clause detailing state's rights and interstate vehicle ragistration. CA can-not retroactively charge backfees for a veicle that has been titled and licensed outside of it's territory and the state has no claim to fees (therefore it has been theroretically located for all tax purposes out of state). They can only claim fees for the time the vehicle is inside CA state boundaries or is still titled as taxable property in CA. any vehicle with expired tags is assumed to still be taxable property inside the state unless proof of out of state registration and clear out of state title can be produced.

Tax liens and Title liens are the only incumberances that will transfer state to state or prevent one state from releasing title to another

#15 ·
I've had this happen too but I didnt have to salvage the damn thing. Just sign w/Hammered Scout affidavit that the vehicle was NON-OP and they fees will be voided and it will stop occuring fees.

If this doesnt fly then get an out of state registration on that bad boy!

#16 ·
HS struck me as a pompous asswipe when I asked him a question about an engine he had for sale a while ago. I told him so and didn't hear anything else. He might be a good guy overall, but I sense he has some issues that could use some hammering. The subject of this thread is unfortunate but no surprise to me.

Good registration info on this thread if true. I have a pickup I bought in CO three years ago that hasn't been registered in CA. I hope to green sticker or non-commercial street register it soon because it doesn't have a traditional bed and is more of a utility classification from what I hear to be true. I am betting it has been long enough to have dropped out of the system in CO. It will probably just have to be inspected by DMV or Highway Patrol.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.