Pirate 4x4 banner

buying a used Cummins Ram

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chevota01 
#1 ·
i'm thinkin about buying a Cummins ram as a daily driver/tow rig. I don't know much about them though as far as different years and what to look for. Am i correct that the new ones started in 94? What should i look for in a used one? I think i would prefer a manual tranny btw.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
Good idea!!

have you been over to the turbodiesel register? It's the PBB for cummins owners.

www.turbodieselregister.com

Yeah, the 2nd Gen Ram started in '94... than HP for the manual tranny cummins went up in '96, and they got too many valves in '98.5.

I'd ask the owner about the "Killer Dowel Pin".. If he knows, it's probably been well taken care of. (TDR has lots of info on it)

Milage isn't an issue on the engine so much as the body...

Those years make TONS of reliable power (and cool black smoke) with very little investment in $$.

If you can, I'd pull the fill plug on the tranny and diff and inspect the fluid.

#3 ·
The pre-98.5 12 valves have a mechanical pump which is easier to get more power out of. I havn't heard of to many problems with the post 98.5 ecm controlled pumps though, you can add a chip and get another 80HP with them. I have a 02 with a auto, manual is a better choice if you can swing it. The auto's will not hold up to any extra power you add. It's a great tow rig, I get 11.5 loaded, 17 empty and it isn't broke in yet. Loads of torque pulling hills, lots better than my 7.5 ford gasser I had and double the milage.

#4 ·
so the 12v is better than the 24? why? I have an 02 F250 PSD right now that i can't afford anymore. I don't like the pre 99 fords, i just think they're ugly, which is why i'm lookin at the dodge.

-Steve

#5 ·
offroadr35 said:
so the 12v is better than the 24? why? I have an 02 F250 PSD right now that i can't afford anymore. I don't like the pre 99 fords, i just think they're ugly, which is why i'm lookin at the dodge.

-Steve
Read easier in his post as CHEAPER. For about $1200, chip and exhaust on a 24v you will have more than enough power. What do you have done to your PSD?

#6 ·
the PSD is stock other than a class V hitch and a Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller. I still don't know if i'm gonna go with a truck, i may just get a car, but if i get a truck it will almost definitely be a used ram.

-Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.