Pirate 4x4 banner

$200

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  bigpappy 
#1 ·
I usually don't need help deciding what to buy in regards to tools....
But, I won an award at work and they gave me a $200 mastercard.
Only thing is, I have one month to spend it before it runs out.
So, I would like your help.

This is what I already have:
Hobart Handler 210 w/cart, bottle, etc.
Milwaukee deep portaband
Milwaukee 4.5" angle grinder with tons of disks
Old industrial drill press
OK craftsman air compressor with good IR impact, etc.
Decent vises
All kinds of wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, random hand tools, clamps and more clamps
Long work bench (soon to be longer cause I'll have a much larger garage)w/ another large rolling bench
Jacks/ plenty of jack stands

At first I was going to buy some shocks for the heep...but I'm gonna save a little more for some good bilsteins

I'm thinking about building a shop press, either using my 30 ton bottle jack or buying a 10 ton porta power.
Or I would like to get a belt/disk sander, but they are very pricey.

Help?! :confused:

Cliff notes:
Help me spend $200.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Put another $250 with it and buy a Milwaukee dry cut saw from Northern tools... we got one and that thing will put any chop saw to shame! It's freakin badass. It was the best bang for the buck x-mas present we bought ourselves this year. We also got a grizzly bandsaw and it's tits, but that dry cut saw was a third of the price and it's damn nice.

:smokin:

#3 · (Edited)
That would be nice, but there is no way I can justify another saw right now...I just got the portaband a few months ago..
Any other ideas?
If you have a porta power, how often do you use it?
Cause I can get the steel for a press for under $100. And either use my bottle jack or buy the porta....
Or one of you may know some where to get a good inexpensive belt/disk sander?
Those "multi-tool" attachments for a regular bench grinder look pretty nice.

#6 ·
Do you have a welding table? Or enough clamps?
$200 would buy steel or plenty of clamps

#8 ·
I kind of have a welding table.. My long workbench has a 1/4" steel top.. But I might take that off and cut in 1/2 or 1/3s and put those pieces on my smaller rolling table.
I have plenty of clamps...can never have enough, but I have a good amount.

Buy Steel! Hopefully made in USA steel. :)

Hopefully enough to make your press ($100)
and another $100 worth towards building a
killer belt sander (plans and details have appeared
on here... you'll buy or fab a couple of wheels).

:flipoff2:
That is an awesome idea man. Do both!

#7 ·
Buy Steel! Hopefully made in USA steel. :)

Hopefully enough to make your press ($100)
and another $100 worth towards building a
killer belt sander (plans and details have appeared
on here... you'll buy or fab a couple of wheels).

:flipoff2:

#9 ·
Buy something and return it for cash. Put the cash aside until you need it/save enough for something you want. Don't spend it on bills or something dumb, and don't tell you're wife/gf that you have stashed money.

Check with customer service first to see if you'll get cash 'if' you return it, they ususally want to put it back on the card.

#10 ·
I have given much thought to this, but I have tried at a lot of stores in my area to get cash back when I purchased something with my debit, and they would not do it.
I can actually get a cash advance for the card, but of course they wanna take a decent chunk out of it.

Good ideas here, fellas. Keep 'em coming. Thanks again.

#13 ·
Why does someone always have to bring up the most reasonable and mature thing to do!
Damnit, ya'll have some good ideas.
But, how about some tool suggestions?! :flipoff2:

#16 ·
X2, I have 4 4.5"ers and need one more (grinding disk, cutting disk, flap wheel, wire wheel, cupped wire wheel)

I don't see a gas axe on your list but those are easy enough to find on craigslist for cheap.

You also do not have a drill doctor. That is something I don't use regularly but when it is needed, it is awesome and saves aggravation of dull bits as well as sloppy holes and everyone hates sloppy holes.

Do you have a good set of snap ring pliers?

#20 ·
Have a couple of NICE 1/2 drills.
Old air powered sawzall(the kind firefighters use and or used to use)
Can possibly get bench grinder, which is why I was considering the attachment belt sander for it.
OK auto hood.
I spend ALOT of time on the angle grinder, either wire wheeling or material removal or finishing. It kinda gets to be a pain when I'm holding that thing for hours on end.
But also, I have needed a press a few times for stuck ujoints, bearings, bending some brackets...etc.

Don't buy the gas axe with your credit card. It will cost you a crap ton by the time that you buy the bottles, hoses, torch, regulators, cart etc. They can be had cheaply from Criagslist. Victors with owner bottles and the whole set up go for $200 to $250 regularly.

Another thing that you might look into is a GOOD welding hood. I have a piece of crap that I might as well just shut my eyes and weld because I can't see shit anyway so this is on my list of things to get. I on the other hand buy all of my shit at auctions or craigslist because I am a cheap ass.

Anyway, cool to have a little unexpected gain in the old tool fund. Let us know whay you end up getting.
Very true on all new stuff. I have been keeping an eye out for victor stuff on ebay and craigslist.
I have a kinda new hood that works great for me, so I'm good there.
It is definitely nice to have this money. Kinda unexpected actually. I'll let ya know what happens.
I will soon have a build thread or two for a new shop and a little air controlled work table soon.

#19 ·
Don't buy the gas axe with your credit card. It will cost you a crap ton by the time that you buy the bottles, hoses, torch, regulators, cart etc. They can be had cheaply from Criagslist. Victors with owner bottles and the whole set up go for $200 to $250 regularly.

Another thing that you might look into is a GOOD welding hood. I have a piece of crap that I might as well just shut my eyes and weld because I can't see shit anyway so this is on my list of things to get. I on the other hand buy all of my shit at auctions or craigslist because I am a cheap ass.

Anyway, cool to have a little unexpected gain in the old tool fund. Let us know whay you end up getting.

#22 ·
I'd second the paypal thing then. Find someone you trust and paypal them from the card. Have them send you the cash. Probably be a few bucks fees associated with it.

Or, find something you need on Craigslist and see if they take paypal? Might be a good way to get a torch rig or any other higher dollar item you might want.

#24 ·
i use my belt sander all the time. its a 6x48in belt i think. its a 20yr delta one that looks like hell and has a 10in grinder mounted to the back of it.
but if you dont have a press thats what i would get. i have an old HF 12ton press that leaks oil like crazy. im looking at buying a 20ton one.
there is a 20% off coupon for HF on here.

#28 ·
so...
what did you get ?????
month ends soon ...
(i do realize you may have until; the 23rd of next month lol)
Nothing yet..got till next month.. lol
I am seriously considering this > http://www.vansantent.com/multitool.htm

After what ChiScouter said, I though about it and I spend most of my time grinding/shaping/wire wheeling tabs and brackets and stuff. I have only needed a press a few times but I have needed a good belt sander for.....ever.

I got mine from a private party, $535.00 for the sander, an 18 inch drill press, a welding table and a 75 pound anvil.

For $200.00 I just got a Milwaukee porta-band saw and regret not getting one years ago, it is a tool I will never be without. I'm waiting for the fab-shop table to turn it into a vert-band saw.
Well aren't you a lucky bastid! :flipoff2:
And yea, the portaband is one of the most used tools...besides the angle grinder and welder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.