Pirate 4x4 banner

stock sami, 6.72:1 axles and 44" tires? will it spin?

5K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  87/85-toyota-4x4 
#1 · (Edited)
Would I have troulble with a samurai with a 1.3L motor, stock trans and t-case, 6.72:1 gears in the axles and 44" cut groundhawg tires?

Do you all think it'll be able to spin or turn the tires offroad (FL mudding)?

I have everything already and want to consolidate my junk without buying anything extra.

#16 ·
A 1.3L is going to break 2.5 axle shafts? I know they are kinda crappy in stock form but I think he will be ok.
(or did I miss your sarcasm?)

It will not be enough gear. Not in thick mud anyway. I'm not that familiar with sami's but you can do a 4:1 re-gear of the tcase right? Try that before you start putting a profab or something in there.

#22 ·
I met a kid last year at the 4x4 demo for the Sportsman Expo and he had a Zuci running on Rockwells and 44s with the stock motor and it did just fine. I don't remember if he was running twin Tcases or the Tcase Ruduction kit, but it crawled great. There's no way to really make it dual purpose anymore as far as streetability goes, so just lock up the axles and add the Tcase kit and you should do fine.

#24 ·
original post said nothing about rockwells....

it said stock sami

buy a cheap salvage yard 350 or somthing...

i agree with the other guys.. i dont think you will have enough wheel speed... engine is going to rev up to fast

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
explain to us how a 1.3l gerbal is going to blow a 2.5 rockwell axle?

i don't know shit about sami's but the same goes for any 4x4. you can't just do one thing and hope that everything else will hold. ex. 2.5 rockwells with stock trans t-case and motor. save up some coin sell the stock drivetrain to the sami guys get a 350 sm420,465 t-350, or t-400 and a t-case of your choice. for mud there's only two things that matter horsepower and ground clearance. you will have the ground clearance now get the hp. you can build a 350 with 2x the hp for the same price as a turbo'd 1.3. if you were telling us you wanted a rig for crawling i would say do a doubler and your fine. as mentioned above just because you got some shit and you are capable doesn't mean you should.

#30 ·
You won't spin them at the rpm to utilize properly, no. Not even close.

#31 ·
Would I have troulble with a samurai with a 1.3L motor, stock trans and t-case, 6.72:1 gears in the Rockwell axles and 44" cut groundhawg tires?

Do you all think it'll be able to spin or turn the tires offroad (FL mudding)?
I have had a couple Samurais, and im guessing it would move, but the RPMs would be around 5000 all the time and the motor and clutches wouldn't last long.

#32 ·
You are making a tractor type rig - will go great until the tires load up then you are screwed. It will depend on the type of mud and clay you are in how much it takes to load up your cut hawgs. Should be a fun rig - you won't have to worry about breaking anything !

#33 ·
Go for it. When you get it finished and find it to be disgustingly under-powered, swap in a a larger engine or at least something with more get-up (VW Diesel or GM 4.3 come to mind) and have fun with it. :flipoff2:

#36 ·
I am just checking out the mud shit, but I am a rock guy and you guys should check a lot the tech in th rock crawling forums, it will cross over.

You can get 6.5:1 sami tcase gears for like 500 bucks. These would lower your 2hi gearing quite a bit to. I have seen one samurai on 33's that that would pull wheelies on the pavement on stock axles, so the axles cant be that bad. If you do break an axle, just upgrade to toyotas. Toyotas are the shit on a sami. i am not a mud guy though.

#38 · (Edited)
I don't think it would have to "spin" the tires, should be able to crawl right over most stuff, then just buy a cheap ATV winch off ebay LOL

Stacked cases would help out but won't the rear shaft get awful short in stock WB?

Doesn't sound like he has the $ for the low low's but shit I'd stock it together and see what it does. Worst thing that could happen is he now has a cool mall crawler to pick up ******* chicks with:grinpimp:

#39 ·
i wonder i have heard of some people being able to do this with biggggg tires on samuaris dont know if the have the rockwells under them though. but you might be able to pull your valve stem out being that tire will be that big and will be able to drive the truck with o psi in the tires. like i said idk but that would be cool. do it that truck will be all tires espically if you dont stretch the wheel base.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.