Pirate 4x4 banner

48 willys pickup build

22K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Rooney77 
#1 · (Edited)
Pictures re uploaded
OK i have been building this for awail so here are the pics and what happened and was done over the last couple months from my web page. I dont feel like retyping everthing so bare with me. Here is my rig before the body swap.

Well i picked up a 1948 willys pickup, that will be going on the frame of the bronco II (sorry kyle the cage has to come off too!). Once i get the registration all figured out i will be pulling the body off and repairing all the rust and building up the cage using parts of the cage off the bronco. This truck will be able to drive on the road around town, still will be a far cry from street legal but i figure around town should be fine.

Well i took it down to the dmv and they said that they couldnt verify the truck sense the bed and doors where off. So back to the house to but the damn bed back on and doors!!! This time the paper work went threw with no problem. Now i had to take everything back off. I got almost everything off this time but stopped when the steering shaft didnt want to come out.

Finally got some real work done. Cut out the bottom corner pannel on the passenger side. I replaced with some heavy square tubing that i will use as the base for my roll cage that will be built into the body.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
finshed up the other side, Put a bunch of rust converter on the floor both inside and under. I cut out the hood air vent becuase it was too rusted.

Got some more body work done and started tearing down the bronco II

#3 · (Edited)

got the body on and brouht the front clip around to see how it will look. This is with the front air bags all the way down. the clip can go down some more so it should look pretty good!

Got the 351 in and the c6. Ran into some problems. The passenger side exaust goes right into the frame and when i welded the cracks it made the exuast shorter. So i will have to grind a little on the bolts and cut the manifold and reweld it so it will work with the truck. I put the front clip on to see how its going to look. It will have to sit up about an inch or two higher to clear the motor. but it will look good when done! its going to be a big beast!

Well boys and girls i learned a great lesson today! I was just tourching off my old rocker pannels on the bronco II frame, real quick so i dont have the fire extengusher close by or anything smart like that. (I had been tourching on the other side of my shop earlier so the extenguisher was over there) When i got done with the one side i noticed a little flame inside the frame rail! I thought nothing much of it i have had this happen before were there was some old grease built up in there, so i blew on it. Then i realized it was a fuel line that was buring!!! FUCK!!! So i run over to the garden hose, and by the time i turn around Its bursted into a huge fire thats up to the roof of the overhang. I start spraying it down with little effect. Luckly some kids and there mom where out playing and they called 911 for me. I called my roommate to come out and help. a guy driving by helped too with a hose from next door. I had three hoses on it and it finaly started to calm down. There was fire on the ground and fire running up towards the gas tank and towards the engine!! When the fire dept got there (and they got there quickly) the fire had been brought down to a pretty small size. Thanks god for small favors that nothing important burnt up and everyone was ok. I got a small burn on my hand, and a brusied ego. (my dad cought his house on fire a couple years ago and we all gave him a hard time about it guess its my turn now). I was going to redue the wires going back there anyways and now new fuel lines. So the moral of the story is always and i mean always have a fire extenguisher handy! Thanks to my brother and wes and the rest the fire dept. I also got the old jeep frame off to the scap. here is a cool pic of them taking it off!

well got a new hood and put the body on!

dropped the body an inch and a half and mounted it all up. This is at ride hight

#4 · (Edited)
got some work done finally. I had welded up some cracks on the exhuast manifold but like a dumb ass i did it off the motor so it worped it. I had to cut it in half and bolt it up then weld it on the motor. i also had to cut and reangle the exhuast flang on the manifold. I took the front clip off to clean it up and make working on other things easier. I mounted the drivers seat. Put in the brakes other then a few finishing touches on the brakes.

Had to rebuild some of the firewall sense the crappy setup they had before looked bad and had huge holes in it. it took alot long to do then i thought it would!

Well got some more work done its going slowly but surely. I got the steering wheel mounted and i like how it came out. Mounted up the filter and cooler for the steering too. Just need a new pump and hose and it will be mostly done. Still got to mount it to the finder so the hose isnt jumping all around. I put the gas petal in. Its the stock bronco II one i put the hood latches on. The hood doesnt seem to line up right so i drilled the holes forward some so it can be pushed back later when i fix the hood the right way.

#5 · (Edited)
I got the bed on and cut 14 inches out of it. Now i just need to mount it which im not looking forward to doing. I slacked off and worked on my buddy's jeep today instead so we can go wheeling this week in it. But its coming along.

Got the radiator in and cut the hole in the floor for it. Mounted the front devider in the bed too. The bed is all bolted in place. It kinda looks funny because for some reason the rear suspension is highed on the passenger side then the drivers (maybe its from all the time it had the fat ass in the drivers seat!)

#6 · (Edited)
Got the exuast in and it turned out pretty good. I reused a small part of the old setup. Its 2 1/4 from each pipe and when it meets up it goes to 2 1/2 threw a glasspack. I cant wait to hear how it sounds. I also got the fuel system in. It turned out pretty good. I got the fuel pump right next to the tank inbetween the bed devider and tank so that should cut down on noise. Also changed the trans filter and drained the tq conveter.

#7 · (Edited)
Well i got alot of work done. I got all of the coolant lines ran. I did a much better job this time with no sharp 90 made out of metal that i think is the reason it didnt work last time. I also Managed to cut alot of pipe out and run them down diffrent sides. It runs under the frame on the drivers side. The pic that shows that is with the suspension all the way down. I got started on the headache of wireing it up. Built a mount for the ecm and got the engine bay nice and clean. Im going to have only the bare minimal wires sticking out in the engine bay. I finshed up my exhaust other then one exaust clamp where i want to be able to take it part if need be. I got some nice 2" wheelspacers. Sholud really help with the bed tire clearance and look much better too! I should hear it run sometime next week if i dont mess up the wiring!

#9 · (Edited)
Its runs and sounds great!!!
S5001234 - YouTube
S5001236 - YouTube

it moves! the rear drive line is to short so i crused around with front wheel only. It was a blast to drive. The steering is really tight thought i need to work on it some. Here is a vid of it crossing the creak. I built a skid plat and trans mount all in one. i was really pleased how it turned out.
willys pickup - YouTube

#10 · (Edited)
Built the rear drive shaft, put the doors on, cut the bottom of the doors to clean the rocker. Made it so i could go into low low range. Made it so all my gadges had light. picked up a larger master cylender but found out it needs a fitting to make work. Put the heavy duty skid plat under the tube work i did the other day.

got seat belts, and have been fighting brake problems. Changed the master because not enough fluid was moving, put in a one ton now to much fluid. Put in a one ton brake boster and changed the pads. Works great other then my calapers sezing up now. So new calapers are on there way.

#15 · (Edited)
I got some more work done. I covered the hole in the floor and just waiting on shifter boots to finish that off. I also got seat covers but waiting to put them on. I covered the hole where the steering goes in. I cut and expanded the finders then mounted them. I put the brake and turn signals in to.

#16 · (Edited)
Well i have gotten alot of work done. I took out the coils and put in air bags in the rear. Built the front bumper with tube running under the finders tieing into the body rocker. I made a access pannel to the rear winch. I also had to move the back exhuast to the outside of the frame and build some heat sheild around it. I also mounted the rear shocks in a new spot which work alot better. I put in a underframe camra that runs into my cd player!

#18 ·
Sorry, Service Temporarily Unavailable.​
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
Additionally, a 410 Gone error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization. If you're having trouble locating a destination on Yahoo!, try visiting the Yahoo! home page or look through a list of Yahoo!'s online services. Also, you may find what you're looking for if you try searching below.​
San Juan rock crawlers site appears to be down.

#25 ·
First trip out with the new engine ripped the front control arm in half and broke my old case mount bolts so i built a three link using the same air bags that i had in the back (only need one spare) and a new mount for the t case.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ncKVVI9-fL4/UTWO-Nzb77I/AAAAAAAABzc/jfyMxQwDxtQ/s902/169683_540571902628440_231209289_o.jpg[img]
[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-sWYrUFiliH4/UTWO5WWDo5I/AAAAAAAAByk/t1egB0_m4Rc/s902/857811_561084617243835_1220510777_o.jpg

had to build a two piece front drive shaft sense the other one hit a link mount

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.